Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Aftermarket radios don't pump power to the antenna amp via the "power antenna" wire. Hook the power antenna wire up to the cigarette lighter's power wire, or the radio's switched (red) power wire to get your radio up.

Sorry, I dont' have a wiring guide out here with me to tell you the exact wires to use for the bypass at the amp.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by yarko
I know I'm a pain. Lol. But, I need a quick hand. I installed my kenwood double din. I installed it and hooked by power antenna to the baby blue on the kenwood. When I installed it in the car and went to run my rca's and amp turn on wire I didn't have the blue wire free on kenwood. So....I second guessed myself and I disconnected the power antenna from the baby blue (my kenwood never actually had a solid dark blue that I'm used to hooking the amp turn on to). I hooked the amp turn on to the baby blue and installed the deck. BUT..now I have zero radio reception. So, do I have to hook that power antenna back to the blue..and do I hook the amp turn on wire to it as well? PART 2 of my question is..I used the metra 550 harness (non bose harness) because I don't plan on using the bose amp at all. I as of now have no sound..and I knew I wouldn't. Does anyone have a detailed description on taking the bose amp harness and connecting the input side to the output side so my speaker wires and connected and running thru my kenwood? Thanks guys!! I really do appreciate the help
if im not mistaken, that "power antenna" lead is for motorized antennas, so you turn the radio on, the antenna raises, you turn it off, it lowers. mine is disconnected and I get perfect radio reception. All you should need is the antenna adapter. you can get one off crutchfield for like $15-$20 i think or you can go to wal mart like I did and grab a universal one for like $5. i really dont listen to the radio so radio quality isnt a big concern of mine.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Trickstyle
if im not mistaken, that "power antenna" lead is for motorized antennas, so you turn the radio on, the antenna raises, you turn it off, it lowers. mine is disconnected and I get perfect radio reception. All you should need is the antenna adapter. you can get one off crutchfield for like $15-$20 i think or you can go to wal mart like I did and grab a universal one for like $5. i really dont listen to the radio so radio quality isnt a big concern of mine.
Our cars utilize an antenna amplifier to make up for the fact that the antenna is just a wire in the rear window. Power antennas usually have their own power wire and just use a signal from the radio to switch on and off. Our amp uses more power than the signal sent by radio needs, that's why so many people run into reception issues when using an aftermarket radio - not enough juice going to the amp. That's why I recommend using an actual POWER - not 12v signal - wire going to the antenna amp.

The following users liked this post:
Trickstyle (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
good to know, thanks!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it all figured out guys. Amp is bypassed, speakers are all working. Everything is as it should be. Thanks for all the help everyone. Now....what kind of fiberglass sub box should I build. Lol.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by yarko
I got it all figured out guys. Amp is bypassed, speakers are all working. Everything is as it should be. Thanks for all the help everyone. Now....what kind of fiberglass sub box should I build. Lol.
Ported.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Has anyone with a 03-04 coupe had any problems using Metra 70-7551 w/ bose amp?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by FastSTI
Has anyone with a 03-04 coupe had any problems using Metra 70-7551 w/ bose amp?
Yes. A great number. That's why I do not recommend it when keeping the bose amp. It's worked for some, but the gamble of frustration and extra labor involved (especially if you're paying for the labor) if you don't get lucky and have it work isn't worth the $30 more that the ROEM-NIS2 costs over the 70-7551.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yes. A great number. That's why I do not recommend it when keeping the bose amp. It's worked for some, but the gamble of frustration and extra labor involved (especially if you're paying for the labor) if you don't get lucky and have it work isn't worth the $30 more that the ROEM-NIS2 costs over the 70-7551.
had my pioneer avh 4400bh installed today with the metra 70-7551 harness and its working flawless!!. sounds better then my factory unit for some reason.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by FastSTI
had my pioneer avh 4400bh installed today with the metra 70-7551 harness and its working flawless!!. sounds better then my factory unit for some reason.
Well, you're one of the lucky ones. Mine worked fine too, but there's been far too many who can't even get it to work with professional installation that I really don't recommend gambling on the trouble it is if the 70-7551 doesn't work, just to save $30.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Yes i totally agree. Only reason I didnt get the pac is because they didnt have one in stock. they told me if the 7551 didnt work they would order in the one you suggested at the same price. but im glad the 7551 worked out fine for me.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Aftermarket radios don't pump power to the antenna amp via the "power antenna" wire. Hook the power antenna wire up to the cigarette lighter's power wire, or the radio's switched (red) power wire to get your radio up.

Sorry, I dont' have a wiring guide out here with me to tell you the exact wires to use for the bypass at the amp.
so are you saying to hook the power antenna wire from the pac harness to power and that will give my antenna the power it needs? thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank heavens i followed wrathernauts list to a tee. the trim ring that came with my pioneer doesnt fit it!!!! Glad i got the scosche.. Shame on you pioneer! Thanks wrathernaut

Last edited by cainon01; 04-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is suck a sick well done guide, I have referenced it tons of times

Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by cainon01
so are you saying to hook the power antenna wire from the pac harness to power and that will give my antenna the power it needs? thanks
Correct.

You can try with the signal wire from the harness, and if the radio reception sucks, change it later, but I'd just say go for a power wire over the signal wire from the get-go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List