Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been having a radio reception problem since I installed my Pioneer Z1 in my '05 Coupe wayyyyy back in 2006 and I'm just tired of dealing with it. The FM stations come in pretty clear, but the volume is a touch on the low side. For example I usually keep my volume at 12 to 16 for CDs, and I have to turn the volume up to 20 for the FM stations. On the AM side, I can hear the stations, but they are full of noise and static. After some searching here today the most common problem seemed to be that the antenna amp is not connected or turning on. I took appart the dash and confirmed that the antenna amp wire is connected. To confirm that amp was on, I jumped the +12V from the lighter to the antenna amp wire. The sound popped when connected, but the noise on the AM stations remained.

Could the culpret be the Scosche Ndab antenna adapter I am using or is there anything else I should take a look at?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Im not sure if I overlooked it but I think this should be added to this thread
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ls-w-pics.html

Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas J
PAC SWI question, I know it has been asked 100 time lol at least but. For the PAC SWI i just need the 4 main wires(red 12v,black ground, white/green, and grey/red) and the 3.5mm jack to hook it up. I will be putting a parking brake bypass on as well. I want to de-pin the rest so I have less of a mess.
Thanks guys almost ready for my install
Yes, only 4 wire needed.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by mjwaterma
I've been having a radio reception problem since I installed my Pioneer Z1 in my '05 Coupe wayyyyy back in 2006 and I'm just tired of dealing with it. The FM stations come in pretty clear, but the volume is a touch on the low side. For example I usually keep my volume at 12 to 16 for CDs, and I have to turn the volume up to 20 for the FM stations. On the AM side, I can hear the stations, but they are full of noise and static. After some searching here today the most common problem seemed to be that the antenna amp is not connected or turning on. I took appart the dash and confirmed that the antenna amp wire is connected. To confirm that amp was on, I jumped the +12V from the lighter to the antenna amp wire. The sound popped when connected, but the noise on the AM stations remained.

Could the culpret be the Scosche Ndab antenna adapter I am using or is there anything else I should take a look at?
Many headunits included a relative volume setting to even out the volume across different sources, you may want to check there.

But most aftermarket headunits don't put out as much power as the antenna amp requires, so you get bad reception that way too, I'd leave it connected to the cigarette lighter's power wire.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
Amazed with how awesome this thread is and how many people it helped.
Thanks again man!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Many headunits included a relative volume setting to even out the volume across different sources, you may want to check there.

But most aftermarket headunits don't put out as much power as the antenna amp requires, so you get bad reception that way too, I'd leave it connected to the cigarette lighter's power wire.
Didn't know that, how would one find out how much power the antenna amp requires?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay so my brake bypass is out for delivery might do my install tomorrow. I am sorry if i flood this thread with stupid little questions like this one LOL,
On the ground I think I read that people grounding out to the chassis instead of using the stock ground is this true? anyone have pictures of it? Also I am kind of lost on the 3way Blue/white,solid blue, and red wire connection(using the brake bypass) I even read on page 52 about it and still kind of lost.
Thanks

Last edited by Thomas J; 02-28-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Okay so i figured out the three way connection LOL
I tied all the grounds into one so the steering wheel control unit, the Pac, The head unit, and the bypass I hope that is okay it just seemed to make it easy to only have one ground.

Last edited by Thomas J; 02-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
idk how forgiving the PAC is, but the AXXESS needs individual solid grounds...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Trickstyle
idk how forgiving the PAC is, but the AXXESS needs individual solid grounds...
Okay see i just thought a ground is a ground. shouldn't matter how many wires are being grounded as long as the connection is good. but i will try it with them all on one ground and see if it works first before i un solder them and make separate ground points.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 PM
hey guys got my dd dash piece finally got my Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD installed but there is a pretty big gap between the trim piece and my deck, also it seems to be like sunken in behind the dash piece, did i do something wrong or do i need another bracket or something to have it sit out a little more??

Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Pals4life
hey guys got my dd dash piece finally got my Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD installed but there is a pretty big gap between the trim piece and my deck, also it seems to be like sunken in behind the dash piece, did i do something wrong or do i need another bracket or something to have it sit out a little more??
Just drill new holes in the bracket. Any gap on the top or bottom gets filled with the trim ring that came with your radio, or with a the scosche universal trim ring that I link to in the first post of this thread.

The following users liked this post:
Pals4life (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:31 PM
great thanks, drillin new holes is a great yet pretty simple idea, btw i used ur shopping list on the first page, got everything except the the scosche trim ring , ill post pics once i get the holes drilled hopefully this weekend, thanks for all ur help

Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Just wanted to thank all that helped me with advice and this awesome thread. I installed my pioneer 3400-BH this weekend and it was effortless minus breaking the clock and ac panel dash piece lol (overnighted a new one and replaced it). Everything works perfect and just like factory but with many more functions. I love that i can use Blue tooth with my phone and listen to pandora with google maps on, giving me directions and still receive an incoming call SO AWESOME!!!!!.

Here are some quick images I took right after completing the install.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Thomas J
Okay see i just thought a ground is a ground. shouldn't matter how many wires are being grounded as long as the connection is good. but i will try it with them all on one ground and see if it works first before i un solder them and make separate ground points.
well the connection would be degraded... the ground is just as important as the hot wire, it completes the circuit! so if you have all these hot lines going to your devices and then all the grounds meet up to one small wire the circuits will be restricted as they all have to share that same wire. now if they are individual wires going to one common point on the chassis then I would think that's ok. but if you need to go with the "pitchfork" approach, I would use a larger gauge wire.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List