Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This audio stuff is waaaay over my head....can anyone point me in the right direction to get started...just want a better sounding system (getting distortion on higher levels of sound).

Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by _FrankStarks_
This audio stuff is waaaay over my head....can anyone point me in the right direction to get started...just want a better sounding system (getting distortion on higher levels of sound).
If step-by-step videos and such are over your head, just take it to a reputable audio shop, no shame in that.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking everywhere for this kit, the places online I tried ordering from neglect to tell people the AC unit is on back order. I emailed Grubbs to see if they ACTAULLY have the full kit.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Brady.law
I've been looking everywhere for this kit, the places online I tried ordering from neglect to tell people the AC unit is on back order. I emailed Grubbs to see if they ACTAULLY have the full kit.
They've been a great source for a long time. I can't see Nissan stopping production of this part, especially with these cars getting to 2nd or 3rd owners who have a greater tendency to want to swap for aftermarket components.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Many headunits included a relative volume setting to even out the volume across different sources, you may want to check there.

But most aftermarket headunits don't put out as much power as the antenna amp requires, so you get bad reception that way too, I'd leave it connected to the cigarette lighter's power wire.
So I ordered the Metra antenna a couple of weeks ago and installed it yesterday. Now both the AM & FM stations come in clear with no static. That's one minor annoyance of my car fixed

Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM
So I looked over the multiple pages and my brain hurts. Lol. I may have a question that's been asked a million times, and if it has..I'm sorry. I have everything I need to install a double din kenwood...except the harness. As of now I'm just going to install the deck and run a set of rca's for a future amp and sub. If I want to use my deck to run my speakers, do I need to bypass my bose amp? Or, do I get the 551 harness and run it threw my bose? Or, do I use my decks internal amp and bypass the bose amp? Which is better. Thanks a lot guys!!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by yarko
So I looked over the multiple pages and my brain hurts. Lol. I may have a question that's been asked a million times, and if it has..I'm sorry. I have everything I need to install a double din kenwood...except the harness. As of now I'm just going to install the deck and run a set of rca's for a future amp and sub. If I want to use my deck to run my speakers, do I need to bypass my bose amp? Or, do I get the 551 harness and run it threw my bose? Or, do I use my decks internal amp and bypass the bose amp? Which is better. Thanks a lot guys!!
Two options:
1) "Cheap, cross-your-fingers method" - Use the 70-7550 to run the speaker-level output from the headunit to the bose amp via the factory wiring. Along with that, run the RCAs to the trunk for the future amp. If you have sound level and lack of bass issues because the bose amp isn't getting the signal it wants, you have two options 1a) put some female RCA terminals on the end of the RCAs, and splice them into the inputs of the bose amp. Some (including myself) have had good luck with this working and giving the same audio output as the factory setup, but a substantial amount have not. 1b) bypass the bose amp, which will completely disable the factory subwoofer, but the other four speakers will work fine.

2) "$30 more for working first time method" - Use the PAC ROEM-NIS2 connected to the speaker-level output from the headunit to the bose amp via the factory wiring. Along with that, run the RCAs to the trunk for hte future amp. 99% of people using the ROEM have had no issues with sound level or lack of bass, because the ROEM-NIS2 sends the bose amp a signal it can use.

Regardless of 1 or 2, once you have the aftermarket amp, you can just remove the bose amp and use the RCAs on your aftermarket amp.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Ok..so if I was to bypass the bose amp all together and just run my head unit for the speakers, I'd lose the subwoofer..is that a big deal really? Does it sound that much better keeping it? And, if I have a aftermarket sub installed would I need the bose sub? Or can the two subs be used at the same time? Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No, the bose sub isn't much, especially as the bose amp cuts power to it as volume increases.

If you add an aftermarket sub, tear the bose one out, it's pure, unadulterated garbage.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Sorry for being a pain. My dad called a nearby stereo shop while I was at work today. They told him my cars factory speakers were all 2 ohm and that my new kenwood dd wouldn't run them. They said I'd have to run new wires and install new speakers! Are they totally nuts like I think they are or do they have anything right?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I haven't heard anyone have problems using the bose speakers with an aftermarket radio. IIRC, they're 3 ohm, not 2, so when the wiring itself comes in, you're close enough to 4 ohms that you're fine. Anyone with any audio experience knows speakers are far from a constant load anyway, depending on what they're doing at the time, they could be 2 ohm, 8 ohm, or anywhere inbetween.

So just replace the amp (using factory wiring except for power) or use the ROEM-NIS2 and keep the garbage bose amp, both are cheaper than paying labor for re-wiring.

But there's absolutely no reason to run new wires, if they just wire the inputs to outputs at the amp in the trunk.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Premier Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
quick question for those of you with the metra aswc steering wheel control, does your pwr button on your steering wheel control something as well? I have a pioneer x930bt.. and the pwr button is useless?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:23 PM
OK guys I am fairly new to the audio thing. Please bear with me, reading through the shopping list, would the following work on my car?

My Car - 2005 5AT Coupe, Bose, Non-Factory Nav

Antenna Adapter: Metraa 40-NI10 $10
Steering Wheel Interface: Metra Axxess AWSC $45
PAC ROEM NIS2: Interface thing $30
Double-Din Trim kit: $320, particularly this one:
http://www.nissanraceshop.com/produc...uble-0507-0506

Total: $450ish of parts, plus the headunit itself. Sound about right? Am I missing anything?

And if I decide not to install myself, roughly how much in y'alls experience would a good audio shop charge to install everything?

Thanks!! I really appreciate it.

Not sure if this matters, but I think I want to get a double-din unit with ipod playback and navigation. Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

That's the right trim kit, but you might get it cheaper through one of our board's sponsors - Grubb's has been extremely good to our members.

Depending on the headunit you get, you might need a universal trim ring, like the scosche one that I link in the first post of my DDin shopping/resource list.

As far as price... depends on the shop, but they shouldn't charge for more than 3 hours of their standard labor rate... 2 hours should be more like it.

The following users liked this post:
JadeRaven (03-27-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I know I'm a pain. Lol. But, I need a quick hand. I installed my kenwood double din. I installed it and hooked by power antenna to the baby blue on the kenwood. When I installed it in the car and went to run my rca's and amp turn on wire I didn't have the blue wire free on kenwood. So....I second guessed myself and I disconnected the power antenna from the baby blue (my kenwood never actually had a solid dark blue that I'm used to hooking the amp turn on to). I hooked the amp turn on to the baby blue and installed the deck. BUT..now I have zero radio reception. So, do I have to hook that power antenna back to the blue..and do I hook the amp turn on wire to it as well? PART 2 of my question is..I used the metra 550 harness (non bose harness) because I don't plan on using the bose amp at all. I as of now have no sound..and I knew I wouldn't. Does anyone have a detailed description on taking the bose amp harness and connecting the input side to the output side so my speaker wires and connected and running thru my kenwood? Thanks guys!! I really do appreciate the help

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List