Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Dimmer = lighting switch

The "power antenna" in our cars (actually an antenna amplifier) needs more power than aftermarket radios send over the signal wire. You need to connect it to a more powerful +12v source than the "power antenna" or "remote" or "amp signal" wire. Good sources are the cigarette lighter or the big red switched power wire that powers the radio itself.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok thank you for your help!

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Dimmer = lighting switch

The "power antenna" in our cars (actually an antenna amplifier) needs more power than aftermarket radios send over the signal wire. You need to connect it to a more powerful +12v source than the "power antenna" or "remote" or "amp signal" wire. Good sources are the cigarette lighter or the big red switched power wire that powers the radio itself.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
So did my install today. Can not get the steering wheel controls to sync with the D3....i bought the metra
kit wired it using the above link. Will not pick up the D3 checked all connections twice. Any ideas?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Unless you've wired it wrong, you may have to resort to manually programming it - http://www.axxessinterface.com/pdf/INST-ASWC_Web3.pdf

Old 07-04-2012, 12:26 AM
I need help please. I installed metra kit and pioneer 8400 also aswc steering wheel and PAC OEM-1 harness. After testing it in car all worked fine except my amp did not turn on. I have my amp in truck tapped wired to another amp and subwoofer. Anyways as I was testing the head unit I turn on te car to save my batter because I was on ignition switch I hear tick sound and I see harness PAC OEM-1 smoke so I turn everything off. I open te harness looks ok. I test te wires. Red wire with voltmeter to see if power is coming from out put of harness all is still good. Put my new radio won't turn back on. I tried to put back my old unit and ac turns back on and factory radio doesn't work. But the metra ac control works when I connect it. Wierd. But both after market pioneer radio and factory won't turn on. I don't get it. Please need help

Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 AM
I also checked all fuses all good. And is te yellow battery line from harness was reading on voltmeter .63 volts. Is it should be 12v? Red ignition line was 12.62 volts. So that was working fine on the PAC OEM harness output and input I was making sure there was still power coming to it. I Ben tested the radio pioneer on different car works fine. So u think I need to replace my harness PAC or something shorted out in my car?

Originally Posted by samkobe8
I need help please. I installed metra kit and pioneer 8400 also aswc steering wheel and PAC OEM-1 harness. After testing it in car all worked fine except my amp did not turn on. I have my amp in truck tapped wired to another amp and subwoofer. Anyways as I was testing the head unit I turn on te car to save my batter because I was on ignition switch I hear tick sound and I see harness PAC OEM-1 smoke so I turn everything off. I open te harness looks ok. I test te wires. Red wire with voltmeter to see if power is coming from out put of harness all is still good. Put my new radio won't turn back on. I tried to put back my old unit and ac turns back on and factory radio doesn't work. But the metra ac control works when I connect it. Wierd. But both after market pioneer radio and factory won't turn on. I don't get it. Please need help

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Unless you've wired it wrong, you may have to resort to manually programming it - http://www.axxessinterface.com/pdf/INST-ASWC_Web3.pdf
thank you, I'll triple check tomorrow.

Also another problem I have is my XM radio presets don't save. If I leave the car off for a few minutes then restart, all of the presets reset, any ideas on this?

Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by samkobe8
I also checked all fuses all good. And is te yellow battery line from harness was reading on voltmeter .63 volts. Is it should be 12v? Red ignition line was 12.62 volts. So that was working fine on the PAC OEM harness output and input I was making sure there was still power coming to it. I Ben tested the radio pioneer on different car works fine. So u think I need to replace my harness PAC or something shorted out in my car?
Yellow wire going to the radio should be constant +12v, car on or off. Red should only be +12v if the car's on.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM
still having trouble getting my XM presets to save. If the car stays shut off for more than 5 minutes all presets reset to station 1 (the free/testing station) I've ruled out the constant/power wire because my FM stations and clock stay put. It's just the XM stations. Anyone have any ideas? Pioneer Avic D3

Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Bad xm receiver?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Bad xm receiver?
I still get stations no problem and can preset them while the car is on they just erase when I restart. I guess that could be the problem.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Revision Notes 3 Dec 2022
Updated a product link.
-----------------------------------

Revision Notes 11 Jun, 2017
Added information and links for the Scosche 2003/2004 trim kits.
Hopefully 2005+ kits come soon!

------------------------------------

Revision Notes 9 February, 2017
Checked links for trim kits - removed one broken link.

Revision Notes 10 July, 2015
Updated JDM trim links for NissanRaceShop

Revision Notes 30 April, 2014

Clarifications on 03-04 metra trim w/navigation.
I modified some of the text to try and break the in-line text ads, since it was pointing people are the wrong stuff. Worst probably being where it said "Metra 40-NI10 - AM/FM antenna adapter." and antenna adapter was getting hyperlinked to some antenna adapter for who-knows-what on crutchfield.com. I understand that these sponsored links help pay the bills here, but when these things destroy the integrity of a message you gotta do what you have to do in order to keep the message clear.

Revision Notes 30 April, 2014

Fixed broken gallery links.

Revision Notes 4 December, 2013

Fixed broken eBay links.

Revision Notes 30 July, 2013

Removed links to JDM trim sources which no longer exist.

Revision Notes 28 May, 2013

ASWC-1 installation instructions link updated (broken link identified by hyperwhite).

Revision Notes 30 Apr, 2013

Updated the Amazon ASWC link to the newer ASWC-1.

Revision Notes - 25 Apr, 2013

Updated the silver 03-04 trim link to a better product link on Amazon.

Revision Notes - 26 Nov, 2012

Amazon now has the brushed aluminum Metra kit for 05+, so it has been added to the sources.

Revision Notes - 2 Sep, 2012

Corrected the wire colors for reverse signal - coupe and sedan have different colors.

Revision Notes - 27 Aug, 2012.

Updated the wiring charts to include colors for the parking brake and reverse signal wire.
Added photo of the reverse signal wire.

Revision Notes - 10 Aug, 2012.

Added the wiring chart for non-bose. Working on the PAC ROEM one next.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 12-03-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish to thank you Wrathernaut for everything you have in this thread. When I first started experiencing the dreaded radio/AC problem. This was the first place I stumbled upon. With the information you provided. I was able to tackle this ALL by myself. Here is a list of pieces purchased and pics of them installed.(no particular order)

Metra 40-NI10- AM/FM Antenna adapter
Steering Wheel Interface-ASWC
PAC ROEM-NIS2
Double din trim kit- Metra Tan
Radio DDin- Kenwood DDX318
Sub amp- KAC8105D
Zenclousure Box- 10" right side offset
Subwoofer- Kicker 10" CVR
Knuconcepts- 4ga amp kit
Back-up Camera- Boyo VTL420

PICTURES!

Thanks again Wrathernaut!

Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Fantastic G
I wish to thank you Wrathernaut for everything you have in this thread. When I first started experiencing the dreaded radio/AC problem. This was the first place I stumbled upon. With the information you provided. I was able to tackle this ALL by myself. Here is a list of pieces purchased and pics of them installed.(no particular order)

Metra 40-NI10- AM/FM Antenna adapter
Steering Wheel Interface-ASWC
PAC ROEM-NIS2
Double din trim kit- Metra Tan
Radio DDin- Kenwood DDX318
Sub amp- KAC8105D
Zenclousure Box- 10" right side offset
Subwoofer- Kicker 10" CVR
Knuconcepts- 4ga amp kit
Back-up Camera- Boyo VTL420

PICTURES!

Thanks again Wrathernaut!
Glad it worked out well, only thing I would have changed would be the use of the front-facing USB. I'd never cut a factory panel like that for wires. It's too late now, but if you take the radio to anyone with some decent soldering skills, they could attach a USB extension cable internally and have rear USB or 3.5 easily - Or I'd just buy a radio with rear inputs to avoid the situation entirely.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad it worked out well, only thing I would have changed would be the use of the front-facing USB. I'd never cut a factory panel like that for wires. It's too late now, but if you take the radio to anyone with some decent soldering skills, they could attach a USB extension cable internally and have rear USB or 3.5 easily - Or I'd just buy a radio with rear inputs to avoid the situation entirely.
Yeah I will admit that I wasn't really happy that I had to cut into the OEM plastic.

Nevermind. I misread your post.

Last edited by Fantastic G; 07-14-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: misunderstood

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List