Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
That's at the bottom of the radio opening.

Both, really. But I'd stick with the frame behind the dash trim.
OK, thanks.

Any spare climate buttons lying around? :-)

Old 04-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
OK, thanks.

Any spare climate buttons lying around? :-)
Nope, but they're easy to swap.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Nope, but they're easy to swap.
I need to review that vid you made of the button removal again...

Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Couple more install questions:
- If the cage covers up the right mounting holes on the radio when you're test mounting, how do you mark the DIN cage if you have to drill new holes?
- What's the best way to strip out a section of insulation on the M39 harness wiring? I've never stripped the middle of a wire before and not really sure how to do it.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Couple more install questions:
- If the cage covers up the right mounting holes on the radio when you're test mounting, how do you mark the DIN cage if you have to drill new holes?
- What's the best way to strip out a section of insulation on the M39 harness wiring? I've never stripped the middle of a wire before and not really sure how to do it.
Put the DDin in the cage with masking tape along the side. Poke holes in the tape where the mounting screw holes are. Slide the radio in to the desired depth and use a marker to mark through the holes in the cage onto the tape. Remove the radio, take the tape off, line up the marker spots with the cage holes, and use the holes you punched in the tape to mark where to drill the radio cage.

Stripping a section in the middle - just cut the wire and solder to it, there's enough slack to reconnect it later if you have to.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Put the DDin in the cage with masking tape along the side. Poke holes in the tape where the mounting screw holes are. Slide the radio in to the desired depth and use a marker to mark through the holes in the cage onto the tape. Remove the radio, take the tape off, line up the marker spots with the cage holes, and use the holes you punched in the tape to mark where to drill the radio cage.

Stripping a section in the middle - just cut the wire and solder to it, there's enough slack to reconnect it later if you have to.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Is this my M39 Harness? It doesn't seem to have all the wires that the one in your FAQ pic does, but I assume that's just because the others in your pic are maybe for factory bluetooth, etc. and mine is an 04 without factory bluteooth.

None of the other harnesses look at all like it and I've already eliminated the two that go to the PAC ROEM, so there's only one other it could be and it doesn't match up at all to your pic.

EDIT: This was the right harness. Hooked it up and the AWSC recognized the car and programmed itself. Everything is working perfectly. Now I just have to run the mic wire (the old Parrot mic that was already there didn't work with the Pioneer HU) and get everything back in the dash. Will post some pics in the other thread as soon as I get a chance.

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-m39-harness.jpg  

Last edited by G35fromPA; 04-18-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Wrathernaut I ordered a Swi-ps and got a swi-rc instead. My question is that it tells me to use the white wire from the package to the green wire on the harness with a 150 ohm resistor and connect the red to white as well. The white wire comes split into 3 so it's white , white/black with a 560 ohm resistor inline and white/red with a 150 ohm resistor inline. So do I just hook up the green to the white red and not add a resistor since it already has one ? Funny thing is that the instructions it comes with doesn't mention the different white wires but the online instructions breaks it down. Please help

Old 05-09-2015, 12:45 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

From the SWI-RC vehicle application guide: http://www.pac-audio.com/swi/pdf/swi-rc_appguide.pdf

Connect a 150 ohm resistor to [vehicle] pin 23 (Green). Connect [vehicle] pin 22 (Red) along with the resistor from the Blue/Yellow wire to the INTERFACE's White wire. Connect pin 25 (Yellow) to chassis ground.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i feel like this is where my answer lies but i got the Sosche OEA-4 wire harness and can't seem to make it work... ><;;;

Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Natmats
so i feel like this is where my answer lies but i got the Sosche OEA-4 wire harness and can't seem to make it work... ><;;;
The scosce OEA-4 is a line output converter, not a signal converter like the ROEM-NIS2 uses, so you're not going to be sending the bose amplifier the signal it wants. The ROEM-NIS2 has by far the best success rate of any adapter for our cars, which is why it's the only recommended adapter if you're keeping the bose amplifier.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The scosce OEA-4 is a line output converter, not a signal converter like the ROEM-NIS2 uses, so you're not going to be sending the bose amplifier the signal it wants. The ROEM-NIS2 has by far the best success rate of any adapter for our cars, which is why it's the only recommended adapter if you're keeping the bose amplifier.
thanks! i'll order the part tonight!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

If you're dead-set on getting one, you can find the same thing on lightinthebox.com for less, although shipping may take longer. Quality control on all of these cheap chinese android headunits is pretty poor, so hope you get a good one the first try. Those images in the listing are probably the best instructions you're going to get too. They're usually running leftover processors from low-end tablets, which is generally adequate for basic functions, but that's about it. Don't expect any sort of support on it either.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
So Wrathernaut... I have searched a bit for this answer... Come up with nothing so far. Does the Double din install affect the heater control? I am doing quite a bit of work on the car, and I have control of the fan and modes, but no control so fat of my heater anymore... Now there are A LOT of things unhooked and the double din is not back inside the car. Ideas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List