Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I recently had the factory stereo replaced with a new Pioneer double din receiver in my 2007 G35 Coupe w/o Bose/Nav.

Everything was working correctly before reassembling the dash, however, after reassembly the receiver does not have power. Also, the instrument cluster does not light up. The only lights on the instrument panel are service engine soon (which wasn't lit before) and TPMS (this was lit before). A/C still works as well.

Is it possible I blew a fuse? Is there a connection that may have loosened and disconnected?

Here are the connections for the Pioneer (P) to the Metra Wiring Harness 70-7550 (M) from what I can see:

Switched Power (12V)
Red (P) to Red (M)

Constant Power (12V)
Yellow (P) to Yellow (M)

Ground
Black (P) to Ground Location

Illumination/Dim
Orange/White (P) to Orange (M)

Right Front Speaker + / Right Front Speaker -
Gray (P) to Gray (M) / Gray/Black (P) to Gray/Black (M)

Left Front Speaker + / Left Front Speaker -
White (P) to White (M) / White/Black (P) to White/Black (M)

Right Rear Speaker + / Right Rear Speaker -
Purple (P) to Purple (M) / Purple/Black (P) to Purple/Black (M)

Left Rear Speaker + / Left Rear Speaker -
Green (P) to Green (M) / Green/Black (P) to Green/Black (M)

Amplifier
Blue/White (P) to none

Mute Function
Yellow/Black (P) to none

Power Antenna
Blue (M) to none

Parking Brake Switch
Light Green (P) to none **This is supposed to be connected, but where is the connected supposed to be made?

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by tailor_made
Hi,
I recently had the factory stereo replaced with a new Pioneer double din receiver in my 2007 G35 Coupe w/o Bose/Nav.

Everything was working correctly before reassembling the dash, however, after reassembly the receiver does not have power. Also, the instrument cluster does not light up. The only lights on the instrument panel are service engine soon (which wasn't lit before) and TPMS (this was lit before). A/C still works as well.

Is it possible I blew a fuse? Is there a connection that may have loosened and disconnected?

Here are the connections for the Pioneer (P) to the Metra Wiring Harness 70-7550 (M) from what I can see:

Switched Power (12V)
Red (P) to Red (M)

Constant Power (12V)
Yellow (P) to Yellow (M)

Ground
Black (P) to Ground Location

Illumination/Dim
Orange/White (P) to Orange (M)

Right Front Speaker + / Right Front Speaker -
Gray (P) to Gray (M) / Gray/Black (P) to Gray/Black (M)

Left Front Speaker + / Left Front Speaker -
White (P) to White (M) / White/Black (P) to White/Black (M)

Right Rear Speaker + / Right Rear Speaker -
Purple (P) to Purple (M) / Purple/Black (P) to Purple/Black (M)

Left Rear Speaker + / Left Rear Speaker -
Green (P) to Green (M) / Green/Black (P) to Green/Black (M)

Amplifier
Blue/White (P) to none

Mute Function
Yellow/Black (P) to none

Power Antenna
Blue (M) to none

Parking Brake Switch
Light Green (P) to none **This is supposed to be connected, but where is the connected supposed to be made?

Thanks.
You missed the antenna amp (power antenna) wiring according to the chart on post #1.

The parking brake switch connects to the parking brake wire via the parasitic tap connector. It's obvious which wire it is when you're looking at the handbrake on the 6MT with the center console trim lifted, but I don't have a shot of the 5AT parking brake wire to help out.

As for the problems, whoever you paid to do this should be fixing it, if they delivered the car to you in this condition, I honestly hope you didn't pay them a dime. But it sounds exactly like everybody else who burned out a fuse by doing the install without disconnecting the battery first. Check all three fuse boxes - two in the battery compartment, and one in the driver's footwell.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 10-13-2015 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tailor_made (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You missed the antenna amp (power antenna) wiring according to the chart on post #1.

The parking brake switch connects to the parking brake wire via the parasitic tap connector. It's obvious which wire it is when you're looking at the handbrake on the 6MT with the center console trim lifted, but I don't have a shot of the 5AT parking brake wire to help out.

As for the problems, whoever you paid to do this should be fixing it, if they delivered the car to you in this condition, I honestly hope you didn't pay them a dime. But it sounds exactly like everybody else who burned out a fuse by doing the install without disconnecting the battery first. Check all three fuse boxes - two in the battery compartment, and one in the driver's footwell.
Thanks for the input/advice.
Luckily, I didn't pay him anything. I should've done it myself as I originally planned. I'm going to check everything out again on my lunch break.

Yeah, I have 5AT. I did see a wire of a similar color, so I will follow that through.

Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by tailor_made
Thanks for the input/advice.
Luckily, I didn't pay him anything. I should've done it myself as I originally planned. I'm going to check everything out again on my lunch break.

Yeah, I have 5AT. I did see a wire of a similar color, so I will follow that through.

Thanks again!
Don't just match wire color to one in a bundle, there should be a single wire attached to a switch on the parking brake.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
So I installed my aftermarket HU/amp/subs with the PAC ROEM-NIS2, and everything sounds great, except my subs arent working? The amp is getting power and I know the subs are good. The HU I bought is a Pioneer X2700BS, though I didnt get a manual with it so I dont know if Im missing some setting on it or what the deal is.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBD port stopped working after installing double-din

Hey guys, so my OBD port stopped working on my 04 G35 6mt. So a year after I installed the DD, I went to get my smog check and the mechanic said my OBD port wasn't working. They tried multiple scanners and none of them could pick up my obd port. I'm not sure if it stopped working because I did something wrong during my installation during the double din installation.

I heard that the clock and cigarette lighters share the same power as the OBD port. My clock and 2 lighter ports are working. However, I noticed that my clock would lag behind sometimes. After I correct the time it would lag again after a while. FYI I have a stock navigation so it blocks the view of the clock. I haven't checked my clock in a while so today I pushed the navigation down and out of the way and I noticed that the clock was 2 hours behind. Is this a sign that my obd port is failing with the clock?

Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by MagX
So I installed my aftermarket HU/amp/subs with the PAC ROEM-NIS2, and everything sounds great, except my subs arent working? The amp is getting power and I know the subs are good. The HU I bought is a Pioneer X2700BS, though I didnt get a manual with it so I dont know if Im missing some setting on it or what the deal is.
Thought I responded to this one already - The 5700BHS has a high-pass filter enabled by default, so I'll assume the X2700BS does as well. Turn the speaker channels to full output instead of using a high-pass filter.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:22 PM
tried that, still nothing. Any other ideas?

Old 10-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dumb question is there a different JDM double din for the 03-04 with or without NAV?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWNG35
I have a dumb question is there a different JDM double din for the 03-04 with or without NAV?
Nope. Same trim for for '03 and '04, nav or nav-free. I still have no idea why they didn't just make the cubby lid come down an extra 1/8" and use the same trim for all 05+ radios.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a write up on how to install the ASWC-1. I believe it is straight forward and not my first rodeo on radio installs but i like to double check my info before i start.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Just wanted to say THANK you for all of the info compiled on this thread. This has helped me immensely. I'm not an audio installer guy, but I've done a couple of standard din installs before on older vehicles which was easy. This thread allowed me to feel more comfortable about installing my first double din. The wiring diagram is spot on and I am very pleased. The install took me about 5 hours or so, and that was due to double checking everything before moving onto the next step. Everything worked on the first try except for the rearview camera and USB connection. I haven't tested the mic but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Review camera was intentional as I was tired, gave up, and focused on getting everything back together for the drive to work. USB connection has me stumped so I'm not sure if that's just a cord issue, headunit issue, or if it came lose during the install. Either way, I'll take it back apart this weekend so I can wire up up the review camera, get it mounted and hopefully working.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWNG35
Is there a write up on how to install the ASWC-1. I believe it is straight forward and not my first rodeo on radio installs but i like to double check my info before i start.
Wiring chart for it is on the first post. Once wired up, just hold volume up as the instructions for the ASWC say. You hold it longer than you really think is necessary... felt like 20 seconds or maybe more.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by DeafBringer
Just wanted to say THANK you for all of the info compiled on this thread. This has helped me immensely. I'm not an audio installer guy, but I've done a couple of standard din installs before on older vehicles which was easy. This thread allowed me to feel more comfortable about installing my first double din. The wiring diagram is spot on and I am very pleased. The install took me about 5 hours or so, and that was due to double checking everything before moving onto the next step. Everything worked on the first try except for the rearview camera and USB connection. I haven't tested the mic but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Review camera was intentional as I was tired, gave up, and focused on getting everything back together for the drive to work. USB connection has me stumped so I'm not sure if that's just a cord issue, headunit issue, or if it came lose during the install. Either way, I'll take it back apart this weekend so I can wire up up the review camera, get it mounted and hopefully working.
USB could have come loose while mounting the radio into the dash, if not that, check that there isn't a toggle on the USB connection type - some radios must be explicitly set to iPod/iPhone, USB Mass Storage, USB Media Transfer Protocol, MirrorLink, or Appradio One mode.

The following users liked this post:
DeafBringer (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
USB could have come loose while mounting the radio into the dash, if not that, check that there isn't a toggle on the USB connection type - some radios must be explicitly set to iPod/iPhone, USB Mass Storage, USB Media Transfer Protocol, MirrorLink, or Appradio One mode.
Thanks Wrathernaut. You were actually correct on BOTH accounts

The USB port is mounted to the bottom right corner of the back of the receiver (if you're looking at the front). This was troublesome as any wires caught underneath the usb cord as you mounted the HU would push up on the usb cord enough to lose connection. Took me a solid half hour just to get that one set in right without losing USB connection.

For future reference, the 06 sedan reverse light 12v wire is orange. Ground is black with silver dashes, but there's at least 4. 2 of them don't work as a good ground for the reverse camera, not sure why, the other 2 work fine. The best way to narrow down which 2 work is to tap into one of the ground wires near where 2 ground wires merge together and is bolted to the chassis near the driver side rear tail light. You can tap into the orange reverse light on either side in the trunk. I tapped into it on driver side as that's where I ran the RCA cable through the floor, behind the back seat and into the trunk. Reverse camera is now up and running. Everything works as intended.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List