Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Just drill new holes in the bracket. Any gap on the top or bottom gets filled with the trim ring that came with your radio, or with a the scosche universal trim ring that I link to in the first post of this thread.

Hey I haven huge gap I between the kit and the deck have a pioneer avic 940bt saw the pic of the new hole but will drilling new holes in the same location as the pic work for any deck? Please help

Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Dcampos662
Hey I haven huge gap I between the kit and the deck have a pioneer avic 940bt saw the pic of the new hole but will drilling new holes in the same location as the pic work for any deck? Please help
This takes care of the deck being flush or not between the trim and the radio. For gap around the radio like this:

You need the scosche universal trim ring as noted in the first post of this thread.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Yea the thing is you drill new holes if it stiks out to much right? Mine sticks in a little and has uneven opening around the trim .. Have a non navi ... So if I drill holes like this would the match directly with the unit holes?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

So long as you line up where the holes need to go correctly. Just map the holes for the unit on some cardstock and use that to mark where to drill.

To get the opening around the trim, it's the scosche trim ring to fill the gap easiest. Any thin black plastic will do fine though, but the scosche works well.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yeah, you just cut that middle section out, and you'll trim off the outer edges edges as necessary to fit it into the JDM trim. It's thin enough plastic that it's easy to work with with a razor blade, rather than requiring a dremel like some other trim rings.

The only wires you need to cut are the three you'll be connecting the Axxess to. All others are reached through the harnesses and just plug in. Once you've done that, you're pretty much just connecting matching wires together. The only exception is the "power antenna" wire of the ROEM-NIS2. That one connects directly to the RED power wire for the radio, since the antenna amp draws more power than aftermarket radios send of their power antenna *signal* wire.
Alright since I'm newb at this and parts are slowly coming in, i've started envisioning how this is all going to go together. 4 questions so far based on what i've studied and threads i've sifted through:

1) So what you're saying is that the blue "power antenna" wire of the ROEM-NIS2 connects to the RED power wire for the radio. Does the RED power wire from the radio then also connect to the RED "ignition switched" of the ROEM-NIS2 (essentially the RED power cable for the radio is connected to both the red cable from the ROEM-NIS2 and the blue cable on the ROEM-NIS2), OR is the RED power wire of the radio ONLY connected to the "power antenna" of the ROEM-NIS2?

2) My radio also has some 'extra' cables that don't seem to connect to the ROEM-NIS2:

- orange/white - no idea what this does (orange on the ROEM-NIS2 is for 'dimmer')
- yellow/black - says 'Mute' on it but there's no corresponding match for the ROEM-NIS2
- light purple/dark purple - reverse gear signal input (assuming this is for reverse cameras)

Do I need to connect any of these? If so, where to? Found a previous thread for the 1400 where something similar was asked but wasn't answered.

3) For the ROEM-NIS2, my deck has connections for 'high level' and the standard left front, right front, etc. Looks like I should only be connecting the normal ones and not the high level? Keeping the stock Bose amp.

4) Is there an easier way to connect the Axxess rather than taking apart the whole deck and making a custom pin like the one posted in this thread? I didn't take anything in the dash apart but i'm hoping that when you say cutting those wires, you mean cutting from the stock plug and then just soldering that to the appropriate connectors on the Axxess.

I will try to snap pics of the wiring between my 2400BT, ROEM-NIS2 and Axxess when I get it all working properly since there's a lot of good help here (give a little take a little) and it seems like these decks are quite popular. I just hope my camera works .

Old 08-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
Alright since I'm newb at this and parts are slowly coming in, i've started envisioning how this is all going to go together. 4 questions so far based on what i've studied and threads i've sifted through:

1) So what you're saying is that the blue "power antenna" wire of the ROEM-NIS2 connects to the RED power wire for the radio. Does the RED power wire from the radio then also connect to the RED "ignition switched" of the ROEM-NIS2 (essentially the RED power cable for the radio is connected to both the red cable from the ROEM-NIS2 and the blue cable on the ROEM-NIS2), OR is the RED power wire of the radio ONLY connected to the "power antenna" of the ROEM-NIS2?

2) My radio also has some 'extra' cables that don't seem to connect to the ROEM-NIS2:

- orange/white - no idea what this does (orange on the ROEM-NIS2 is for 'dimmer')
- yellow/black - says 'Mute' on it but there's no corresponding match for the ROEM-NIS2
- light purple/dark purple - reverse gear signal input (assuming this is for reverse cameras)

Do I need to connect any of these? If so, where to? Found a previous thread for the 1400 where something similar was asked but wasn't answered.

3) For the ROEM-NIS2, my deck has connections for 'high level' and the standard left front, right front, etc. Looks like I should only be connecting the normal ones and not the high level? Keeping the stock Bose amp.

4) Is there an easier way to connect the Axxess rather than taking apart the whole deck and making a custom pin like the one posted in this thread? I didn't take anything in the dash apart but i'm hoping that when you say cutting those wires, you mean cutting from the stock plug and then just soldering that to the appropriate connectors on the Axxess.

I will try to snap pics of the wiring between my 2400BT, ROEM-NIS2 and Axxess when I get it all working properly since there's a lot of good help here (give a little take a little) and it seems like these decks are quite popular. I just hope my camera works .
1) Yes. The red power wires goes to both the power antenna and the red power wire.

2) Use the dimmer wire, the orange/white is for illumination. Aftermarket radios don't generally rely on the illumination signal for anything, that that one can just get wrapped up and unused.

3) There's been better luck using the speaker-level outputs than the low-level, but the ROEM is designed to use either. I recommend using the high-level ones to the ROEM, and picking up 3 pair of RCA cables and connecting them, and running those to the trunk so that you can use the low-level outputs for an aftermarket amp in the future without removing the radio to get to the outputs.

4) Yeah, just cut the wires on the stock plug:

Tie the wires together and solder them for a solid connection.

The following users liked this post:
Greyhame (05-11-2021)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrathernaut,

Thanks for this thread. this is a great resource. I've decided to take the plunge after my cd changer has not worked for the last year. Here is what i'm buying (verbatim from your OP):

Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring
Metra Axxess ASWC
Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antnna Adapter
PAC ROEMNIS2
JDM Double Din singe AC zone - just because i can buy it w/o paying taxes versus the dual zone one which comes from CA. This is my car, so i really don't need it.

I only have the receiver left to buy. So it's probably weird to say, but I'd actually prefer not to have the screen. I was just going to get a Clarion or a JVC, but after reading through this entire thread, it seems obvious that you are most familiar with Kenwoods or Pioneers. My only real requirements are the usb, 3.5 mm connector, and bluetooth, and that if I need help with wiring, i'm working with something you can help me with :-). So here is what I'm looking at now:

Kenwood DPX308U
Amazon Amazon

So as far as wiring goes, and working with the steering wheel controls, do you think i'll be all right?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Brian

Old 08-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by bsavage79
Wrathernaut,

Thanks for this thread. this is a great resource. I've decided to take the plunge after my cd changer has not worked for the last year. Here is what i'm buying (verbatim from your OP):

Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring
Metra Axxess ASWC
Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antnna Adapter
PAC ROEMNIS2
JDM Double Din singe AC zone - just because i can buy it w/o paying taxes versus the dual zone one which comes from CA. This is my car, so i really don't need it.

I only have the receiver left to buy. So it's probably weird to say, but I'd actually prefer not to have the screen. I was just going to get a Clarion or a JVC, but after reading through this entire thread, it seems obvious that you are most familiar with Kenwoods or Pioneers. My only real requirements are the usb, 3.5 mm connector, and bluetooth, and that if I need help with wiring, i'm working with something you can help me with :-). So here is what I'm looking at now:

Kenwood DPX308U
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DPX308...rds=double+din

So as far as wiring goes, and working with the steering wheel controls, do you think i'll be all right?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Brian
I'm not a fan of any headunit that doesn't have rear inputs. It means you can't just simply run the wires to the glovebox, center armrest or the above-radio cubby hole and keep the device out of sight but still connected. Also as for non-touchscreen units, I'll take this quote from a review of the DPX308U:

Operation was OK but not stellar. Each button has multiple functions and it can be confusing as to what button to push to do what operation. For instance, push the number 6 radio button to pause a cd. This brings back memories of the ever popular VCR blinking 12:00 because no one can remember how to set the clock LOL. The volume **** also has multiple functions, if you push it in, so be careful when hitting a bump while adjusting the volume.
If only for a usable interface for everything, even a cheap touchscreen unit (with bluetooth), like the Pioneer AVH-P2400BT is a nice way to go. The increase in functionality and usability is most definitely worth the two tanks of gas you'll give up to upgrade to this over the DPX308U. Yeah, it's got front-face inputs rather than rear, but it's still a solid headunit.

Wiring's easy enough, so long as you read my first few posts in this thread and wire it right. I highly recommend solder + heat-shrink tubing, for a trustworthy, insulated connection, but wire crimps or solder + electrical tape are ok too.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-06-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Wrathernaut,

You win :-). Should i get the PAC SWI-PS for Pioneer now? Your hyperlink clearly states the model numbers, and none of them are the P2400BT, but figured I'd ask just in case.

Or is the Metra ASWC still the right one?

Brian

Last edited by bsavage79; 08-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Wrathernaut,

You win :-). Should i get the PAC SWI-PS for Pioneer now? Your hyperlink clearly states the model numbers, and none of them are the P2400BT, but figured I'd ask just in case.

Brian
Metra ASWC is for the Pioneer P2400BT. I'm installing the exact same deck soon. Seems to be a popular bang for the buck unit.

Wrathernaut (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:27 PM
ok,

last two dumb questions of the day until i get all of my parts. Every time I read this thread i have more questions..... And thanks everyone!

I currently only have single zone AC in my car. I'm fine with this. So the single zone AC controller that comes with the jdm should work fine with no modifications? The video from the OP is only if you buy a single zone AC controller and then want to take the button from your stock dual zone and move it over, correct? So i should be fine with the single zone.

thanks again. this thread is a monster but so much help.

brian

Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Wrathernaut,

Brian
RastaManMax is right - ASWC. It doesn't require the soldering of resistors and such like the SWI-PS does. And if you're lucky, it won't even require programming.

And yes, if you're just doing single-zone a/c to single-zone a/c there's no changes required.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
ok! thanks all.

I will be getting the parts over the next week or so. I will, without a doubt, post back here after I'm done with any lesson's learned and overall impressions.

Brian

Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Photos and notes on completed installs are always welcome here.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Great wiring chart now in OP thanks to Wrathernaught!

Last edited by bsavage79; 08-10-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Wrathernaut (08-08-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List