Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by bsavage79
Ok,

As I get everything ready, the first thing I've done is put together a wiring spreadsheet for the Metra 70-7550 based on everything I've read. This is for a non-bose install without navi, on a 2005 G35 coupe. You can click the attachment to see. I've highlighted in Yellow the items that aren't simply connecting a color from the 70-7550 with it's exact counterpart from the pioneer.

Doing this, I have some questions about one inconsistency in the posts, which I think I've figured out but would like to be sure.

Firstly, this post (and several others):
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ring-tips.html

seems to directly contradict this post:
https://g35driver.com/forums/6270211-post683.html

Basically, the first says to solder the blue and blue/white wires from the 70-7550 together, and the second says that the blue/white from the 70-7550 goes to the pioneer counterpart and the blue from the 70-7550 needs to be twisted together with the red from the 70-7550. I've gone with the latter option.

Let me know if that's wrong. I'll upload more of these as i make them. I've also found certain posts to be much more informative than others (other than the OP). I'll post those once i've got everything working too.
Well, I'd go with what Wrathernaut said in the second linked post - what you have in the graphic.

However, until I actually dug up the wiring diagram and found out for certain that the antenna amp was powered (not signaled to turn on) by the radio, it was assumed that you should connect both the blue, blue, and blue/white wires together. I've been slowly working my way through this thread to try and remove outdated information like that.

As for the wiring guide you put together, with the 70-7550, the orange/black (amp ground) doesn't need to be connected, and the blue/white doesn't necessarily need to be connected.

I've been planning to put some of these together myself, for the main guide as well, but if you beat me to it, I'll just re-use what you put together.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-08-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removed my wiring chart.

In case you haven't noticed wrathernaught just put up a great one in the OP!

Last edited by bsavage79; 08-10-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Contribution Requests - How you can help:

If you're looking for some other good contributions to the guide, I'm looking for a few things:

Photos of the parking brake signal connection for both automatic and manual transmissions.

A video showing the flush-mount process. It's tough to describe in words and even pictures. I'm probably going to do my wife's car (which is the "recessed" picture in the current guide), so I can probably do this one myself.

Good, clear shots of the Metra Axxess ASWC wired up to the appropriate wires, as well as the grounding points used. I did both mine and my wife's G35 installs before the ASWC was available, so all I can show is the PAC SWI-PS.

Step-by-step of the gap associated with JDM trim and cutting and installing the trim ring to fill it.

Photos/videos of how you've modified metra trim from anyone who's gotten it to work with factory navigation.

Photos of how the jumpers on the Metra A/C controls need to be set to work right.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-26-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Contribution Requests - How you can help:

If you're looking for some other good contributions to the guide, I'm looking for a few things:

A video showing the flush-mount process. It's tough to describe in words and even pictures. I'm probably going to do my wife's car (which is the "recessed" picture in the current guide), so I can probably do this one myself.

Good, clear shots of the Metra Axxess ASWC wired up to the appropriate wires, as well as the grounding points used. I did both mine and my wife's G35 installs before the ASWC was available, so all I can show is the PAC SWI-PS.

Step-by-step of the gap associated with JDM trim and cutting and installing the trim ring to fill it.
Wow, that wiring diagram in the OP is an excellent addition . Perfect for no-nonsense people just trying to get it to work.

If there was a similar diagram for the aftermarket HU to PAC-ROEM-NIS, I think that would also be useful. I will try to do this one if I get everything together.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
Wow, that wiring diagram in the OP is an excellent addition . Perfect for no-nonsense people just trying to get it to work.

If there was a similar diagram for the aftermarket HU to PAC-ROEM-NIS, I think that would also be useful. I will try to do this one if I get everything together.
It's virtually identical, but I need to verify the wire colors before I put it up.

Also I'm hoping some people putting stuff together can snap pictures to go along with the diagrams.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan got the dreaded AC stuck on auto/audio controls don’t work problem. I looked into just getting it repaired but with quotes that I’ve been getting, I might as well just buy new aftermarket parts. Now I’m a complete noob at all of this so I just want to make sure I have everything correct.

Vehicle: 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan w/ factory navi.

So I should be buying…
1. Antenna Adapter – Metra 40-NI10
2. Steerin Wheel Interface – Metra Axxess ASWC
3. PAC ROEM-NIS2 (if I want bose correct?)
4. JDM DD trim Kit (I’ve been reading that I have to modify this myself to get it too fit with my factory navi, or is there trim kit where I don’t have to?)
5. Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD radio
6. A trim kit to put around the radio.

I think that should be it, unless I’m missing something. I'm planning on just having all this stuff installed professionally so would this be all they need to get it done.

Last edited by dunskee; 08-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So I have the metra ASWC installed but I can't seem to program it. connected per the instructions if I understandt hem correctly- white and green wire to pin 13 (green), gray and red wire to pin 4 (red), pin 11 on factory harness (yellow) to ground, red to switched power, and black to ground. What gives?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by dunskee
So my 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan got the dreaded AC stuck on auto/audio controls don’t work problem. I looked into just getting it repaired but with quotes that I’ve been getting, I might as well just buy new aftermarket parts. Now I’m a complete noob at all of this so I just want to make sure I have everything correct.

Vehicle: 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan w/ factory navi.

So I should be buying…
1. Antenna Adapter – Metra 40-NI10
2. Steerin Wheel Interface – Metra Axxess ASWC
3. PAC ROEM-NIS2 (if I want bose correct?)
4. JDM DD trim Kit (I’ve been reading that I have to modify this myself to get it too fit with my factory navi, or is there trim kit where I don’t have to?)
5. Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD radio
6. A trim kit to put around the radio.

I think that should be it, unless I’m missing something. I'm planning on just having all this stuff installed professionally so would this be all they need to get it done.
With the 2003 and 2004, no modifications to the JDM trim are necessary for navigation-equipped vehicles.

Any competent shop should have no problem at all doing the install with that set. Since it appears you have the premium options in your car, they will have to solder in a new button to keep the dual zone climate control.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Stingray90
So I have the metra ASWC installed but I can't seem to program it. connected per the instructions if I understandt hem correctly- white and green wire to pin 13 (green), gray and red wire to pin 4 (red), pin 11 on factory harness (yellow) to ground, red to switched power, and black to ground. What gives?
Looks correct to me. Is your ground actually connected to the metal of the vehicle, or just tied with the black wire for the radio? Did you follow the directions on holding the appropriate button when powering it up? How did you connect the wires? Solder? Wire-nut? Crimp? Clip-on taps?

Anything short of solder isn't recommended, since minor variations in resistance from a connection can throw the adapter off.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the 2003 and 2004, no modifications to the JDM trim are necessary for navigation-equipped vehicles.

Any competent shop should have no problem at all doing the install with that set. Since it appears you have the premium options in your car, they will have to solder in a new button to keep the dual zone climate control.
O so I could just bring in the 03-04 JDM trim as is and they'll be able to use it? Also, do i have to have them solder in a button for dual zone climate? I've never used it anyways. Sorry for all the questions.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by dunskee
O so I could just bring in the 03-04 JDM trim as is and they'll be able to use it? Also, do i have to have them solder in a button for dual zone climate? I've never used it anyways. Sorry for all the questions.
Yep, just bring the JDM trim right as it is. If you don't want the dual-zone climate control, no modifications are necessary there either.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Looks correct to me. Is your ground actually connected to the metal of the vehicle, or just tied with the black wire for the radio? Did you follow the directions on holding the appropriate button when powering it up? How did you connect the wires? Solder? Wire-nut? Crimp? Clip-on taps?

Anything short of solder isn't recommended, since minor variations in resistance from a connection can throw the adapter off.
Hey,
Thanks for the quick response.. Yeah both grounds for the ASWC are connected to metal at the same point on the frame. All connections soldered and 3.5mm jack connected to radio. Tried the instuctions several times for auto detect. No luck. Tried with the the radio on, then off, turned ignition off/on, etc... Still no luck. Finally moved on to manual programming. Was able to set volume controls and seek functions, but it would not take the inputs for the phone functions.
Also, it seems to think that my radio (Clarion NX602) is a pioneer or jensen (6 flashes, when it should be 3 flashes per the instructions) so at the end of programming the functions I also had to manually tell it what radio I had.

So, I'm looking at the troubleshooting section for the Metra ASWC now. Based off the led flashes, it doesn't see my white/green wire as being connected . Wth. Did i get a dud?

Last edited by Stingray90; 08-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Phone functions... did you have a factory bluetooth adapter? That thing jacks with all the steering wheel controls unless it is properly bypassed.

Seek up, Volume Up and MODE/Call switch are all on the same (RED) wire, while Seek down, Volume Down and PWR/Hangup buttons are all on the other (GREEN) wire. If any one of the functions on one of the wires works properly, the connection on that wire should be good.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah I have factory bluetooth. I'm looking at the manual now. For the 2006 coupe it has:

- PTT, Seek up, & Volume Up on the same (RED) wire which is Remote Control A.
- Mode, Seek Down, & Volume Down on the same (Green) wire which is Remote Control B.

Either way you're right, the phone functions should work. I'm going to try loading the software updates for the radio, see if that fixes the problem. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The remote control functions all go through the factory bluetooth module FIRST, so unless you disconnect the factory bluetooth module and splice the wires around it at the harness, it's always going to interfere.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List