Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Just wire exactly as the chart in the first post indicates, and ground those grounds (don't just connect black to black.. connect black to black *and* connect that connection to the metal of the car).

The only things that you'll send to the aftermarket amp are the amp power trigger wire and the audio signals. The aftermarket amp will have its own new power and ground installed.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVH-8400 Install Issues

I am trying to connect the ASWC to a Pioneer AVH-8400BH and it states things like, "Connect the Gray/Red wire of the ASWC to pin 4 of the vehicle." How can I tell which wire "pin 4" of the vehicle is? I can't find a picture of the vehicle wiring harness online that matches up with what the ASWC is saying to do.

I thought that I had connected everything correctly, and hooked it back up in my car. I now have 2 connectors that don't match up with anything. I've uploaded a picture of the "extra" connectors. The two white connector/harnesses that are from the car and there is nowhere to plug these in. Any idea if these are supposed to be plugged into something or just left unplugged from now on?

Also, when I first turned on the power, my stock Navi started to move up and it doesn't want to stay down/closed. It keeps popping open as soon as it closes.

Any help or ideas of something to try would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-2012-09-05_16-32-48_871-640x361-.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Creedmoor
I am trying to connect the ASWC to a Pioneer AVH-8400BH and it states things like, "Connect the Gray/Red wire of the ASWC to pin 4 of the vehicle." How can I tell which wire "pin 4" of the vehicle is? I can't find a picture of the vehicle wiring harness online that matches up with what the ASWC is saying to do.

I thought that I had connected everything correctly, and hooked it back up in my car. I now have 2 connectors that don't match up with anything. I've uploaded a picture of the "extra" connectors. The two white connector/harnesses that are from the car and there is nowhere to plug these in. Any idea if these are supposed to be plugged into something or just left unplugged from now on?

Also, when I first turned on the power, my stock Navi started to move up and it doesn't want to stay down/closed. It keeps popping open as soon as it closes.

Thanks!
One of those connectors you need to splice into for the ASWC. There is a post in this thread with pics of the connector and wires you need to tap into (I know because I used it myself). After you identify which of the two connectors it is, then follow the wiring diagram in the first post and you'll be golden.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Ok, so I don't connect the ASWC to the harness going into the back of my Pioneer head unit? I connect the ASWC to one of the harnesses in the picture?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thanks!
One of those "extra" harnesses plugs into the a/c controls, the other is the M39 harness. Follow the wiring chart on the first post for the ASWC connections to the M39 harness. It's color-coded so you don't have to pay attention to pin numbers.

The stock navi might have been disrupted during installation, check the limit switch and that there's nothing in the rails.

The following users liked this post:
G35Creedmoor (09-10-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Power problem solved!!!! One more question

Ignore this, thanks! See below

Last edited by domi_05t; 09-08-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Just wire exactly as the chart in the first post indicates, and ground those grounds (don't just connect black to black.. connect black to black *and* connect that connection to the metal of the car).

The only things that you'll send to the aftermarket amp are the amp power trigger wire and the audio signals. The aftermarket amp will have its own new power and ground installed.

Thanks man, I got power, but now there is no audio... I was planning to do direct connections from the radio to car speakers but some of the colors in the chart I cannot find on the car

Old 09-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey Wrathernaut! Thanks for your help!
I've hooked up the ASWC to the M39 harness. Well, the black, grey/red, and white/green wires to the M39 harness. The red ASWC wire is connected to the harness going into the back of the stereo.
The auto-detect doesn't seem to work, so I have to do the manual programming. The lights blink as they should, I am able to tell the ASWC that I have a Pioneer head unit. But once the programming is complete, it doesn't work. I can't use the volume or anything on my steering wheel controls.
Do you know what I could be missing or doing wrong?
Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-2012-09-08_16-10-13_421-640x361-.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by domi_05t
Thanks man, I got power, but now there is no audio... I was planning to do direct connections from the radio to car speakers but some of the colors in the chart I cannot find on the car
Except for the steering wheel control wires, speed sensor and reverse signal, those colors aren't from the car. They're from the aftermarket wiring harness and the new radio's harness.

Could you be a little more descriptive with your problem? Dozens (hundreds?) have followed the guide here without problems, so it's more likely you've got something wired wrong. Posting up pictures of how you're wired is generally the fastest way to get help, other than having somebody in person check it for you. Otherwise we've only got your word that it's wired right... which if it were, it would work. They didn't just random wire a few of these cars completely different from the rest.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Hey Wrathernaut! Thanks for your help!
I've hooked up the ASWC to the M39 harness. Well, the black, grey/red, and white/green wires to the M39 harness. The red ASWC wire is connected to the harness going into the back of the stereo.
The auto-detect doesn't seem to work, so I have to do the manual programming. The lights blink as they should, I am able to tell the ASWC that I have a Pioneer head unit. But once the programming is complete, it doesn't work. I can't use the volume or anything on my steering wheel controls.
Do you know what I could be missing or doing wrong?
Thanks for your help!
You never mentioned the yellow reference ground wire from the M39 harness, which should be connected to the black ground and grounded to the vehicle.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You never mentioned the yellow reference ground wire from the M39 harness, which should be connected to the black ground and grounded to the vehicle.
Sorry about the confusion, I just listed the black wire ground from the ASWC before. But I connected the black ground from the ASWC to the yellow ground wire on the M39 harness. But that's all I did with it. I'm not sure how to then ground that to the vehicle. The ASWC is connected to the M39 harness and the back of the HU harness, how do I also connect the wire to a metal part of the vehicle? Or does connecting the yellow reference ground wire from the M39 harness to the black ground wire from the ASWC harness all the grounding that is needed? Sorry for the million questions...

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Sorry about the confusion, I just listed the black wire ground from the ASWC before. But I connected the black ground from the ASWC to the yellow ground wire on the M39 harness. But that's all I did with it. I'm not sure how to then ground that to the vehicle. The ASWC is connected to the M39 harness and the back of the HU harness, how do I also connect the wire to a metal part of the vehicle? Or does connecting the yellow reference ground wire from the M39 harness to the black ground wire from the ASWC harness all the grounding that is needed? Sorry for the million questions...
Just attach another wire to where it joins and connect it to the metal of the car. It should be grounded separately from the radio's ground, just to avoid any interference with the steering wheel control signals.

The following users liked this post:
G35Creedmoor (09-10-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the reply, my friend is coming tomorrow to check it up so let's see what happens.... I basically thought that it would be just plug and play when it came down to the harness. The problem is that each piece of harness (2 in total) has male plugs instead of just plain wires for direct connections so I would have to eliminate those male plugs to connect the speaker wires there

Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Got it! It's now working!

Thank you SO VERY MUCH Wrathernaut for all of your help! I couldn't have done it without your DIY! You're awesome!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No problem, glad it's working.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List