Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by poughdrew
Thanks so much for this thread!

My 2003 sedan, after 10 years finally started having the dreaded HVAC/radio issue where the controls no longer work. Needless to say, my 10 year old car is not worth dealer prices for service, even if I am the only owner and it cost $33K brand new, but I digress.

I have never done car audio before - so I went slow and took my time.

- JDM dash
- JVC headunit (~$180) with no touchscreen, plus all goodies in the sticky first post.
- routed the bluetooth mic to the left of the steering wheel, right of the vent over there.
- The best part is, it all works!

Added bonus, got all my CDs out of the OEM unit that ate them a few years ago.
Glad it all worked, you're not the first to pop their audio cherry on this car with the help here.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
To use the axxess at all with an aftermarket headunit, you need to bypass the factory bluetooth unit by connecting red to red, yellow to yellow and green to green at the harness that plugs into the bluetooth adapter.

With enough electrical engineering you could keep the factory bluetooth unit working, so technically yes, but realistically, no.

Since most aftermarket headunits these days have their own bluetooth, just accept that the factory bluetooth is gone and move on.
That's too bad. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Caved in and ended up going to a local audio shop to get it installed. Ran me $150. Was content with the end product but it turns out the Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring didn't fit around the headunit and the guy said he wouldn't touch the inside (of the trim ring) to try to make it fit. He ended up ghetto-rigging this other soft material in it's place. Any recommendations on how to solve this? Don't like the look of what he used. Also, how hard is it to get an aux cord to run into the center console?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SoFloVan
Caved in and ended up going to a local audio shop to get it installed. Ran me $150. Was content with the end product but it turns out the Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring didn't fit around the headunit and the guy said he wouldn't touch the inside (of the trim ring) to try to make it fit. He ended up ghetto-rigging this other soft material in it's place. Any recommendations on how to solve this? Don't like the look of what he used. Also, how hard is it to get an aux cord to run into the center console?
Wow, unwilling to modify a $10 trim ring? I'd solve by taking it apart and doing myself. You can cut straight pieces from it with a good pair of scissors or razor blade to fit along the edges that need it.

You're very likely going to have to remove the radio to get to the wires in the rear to hook up the aux connections. Once you've done that, it's just a matter of running the wires in the center console where you want. Just a few screws towards the rear is all you need to remove to have easy access to the inside of that console.

The following users liked this post:
SoFloVan (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 AM
Wow, unwilling to modify a $10 trim ring? I'd solve by taking it apart and doing myself. You can cut straight pieces from it with a good pair of scissors or razor blade to fit along the edges that need it.

You're very likely going to have to remove the radio to get to the wires in the rear to hook up the aux connections. Once you've done that, it's just a matter of running the wires in the center console where you want. Just a few screws towards the rear is all you need to remove to have easy access to the inside of that console.
Damn it's that easy? I'll probably do it myself then. It's on the inside of the trim ring so I might use an xacto knife/board (my OCD might kick in).

I can get under the center console by following this video, right?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Damn it's that easy? I'll probably do it myself then. It's on the inside of the trim ring so I might use an xacto knife/board (my OCD might kick in).

I can get under the center console by following this video, right?

I prefer this video, but I'm a bit biased:

Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
I prefer this video, but I'm a bit biased:
Wrathernaut's radio removal guide

Thanks again man. Wish you were located in FL! Though GA isn't too far

Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thanks again man. Wish you were located in FL! Though GA isn't too far
So long as cost of gas and potentially, a hotel room, is cheaper than the installer charges, I'm available most weekends, and only require you provide the beverages and lunch.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contribution Requests - How you can help:

If you're looking for some other good contributions to the guide, I'm looking for a few things:

Photos of the parking brake signal connection for both automatic and manual transmissions.

A video showing the flush-mount process. It's tough to describe in words and even pictures. I'm probably going to do my wife's car (which is the "recessed" picture in the current guide), so I can probably do this one myself.

Good, clear shots of the Metra Axxess ASWC wired up to the appropriate wires, as well as the grounding points used. I did both mine and my wife's G35 installs before the ASWC was available, so all I can show is the PAC SWI-PS.

Step-by-step of the gap associated with JDM trim and cutting and installing the trim ring to fill it.

Photos/videos of how you've modified metra trim from anyone who's gotten it to work with factory navigation.

Photos of how the jumpers on the Metra A/C controls need to be set to work right.

Hey Wrathernaut- has anyone given you these contributions yet, or do you have any more details about these? I installed basically everything, but do not currently have the parking brake line tapped. I know the diagram has it has purple/red, but I don't know where to locate it?

Also, I tried to do the trim but drew the stencil lines with the unit perfectly in the middle of the JDM piece- when I screwed in the bracket, the HU moved and the trim that I cut no longer fit. Also, I used an exacto knife but it was not flat at all, there were still curves to it-Is filing better?

Thanks so much for this guide!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by FireGuy385
Hey Wrathernaut- has anyone given you these contributions yet, or do you have any more details about these? I installed basically everything, but do not currently have the parking brake line tapped. I know the diagram has it has purple/red, but I don't know where to locate it?

Also, I tried to do the trim but drew the stencil lines with the unit perfectly in the middle of the JDM piece- when I screwed in the bracket, the HU moved and the trim that I cut no longer fit. Also, I used an exacto knife but it was not flat at all, there were still curves to it-Is filing better?

Thanks so much for this guide!
Yeah, still need those contributions.

I'd think an xacto knife would be a little bit too small, I'd say go with a box cutter with a scoring blade with a straight edge to keep it straight. Unless you're using thick, rigid plastic like 1/8" ABS platsic, the file's not going to do a good job.

The following users liked this post:
SoFloVan (05-03-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, I hv go g35 coupe with Bose and I have got the same problem like others have got already.. A/ buttons won't work and stereo is gone totally. Well at first steering wheel controls were working. Now m from Canada but the car is from us. And now my a/c is stuck on 90f.. Now after reading most of the forums I figure out its a stereo problem. So I went to local shop( vision) to get an estimate how much would it cost and the guy said it would be about 1000$ with everything. I have already spend quite a bit money on driver side window motor and Now I don't want to spend much $$. So I am just looking for suitable DD aftermarket stereo. You guys have already installed these stuff. Can anyone please suggest a good stereo. Thank you.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
hey guys i just finished installing a double din into my 2004 g35 coupe thanks to this amazing write up. However after the installation the bose system did not have the same bass as before. Now it sounds really plain without the bass. Anyone else experience this problem? If someone could help me with this problem id really appreciate it. I used PAC ROEM-NIS2 to do the wiring because it mentioned it helps keep the bose. The deck i installed was JVC kw-nx7000

In my deck wiring harness i had a solid blue wire which said automatic antenna which i connected to Antenna amp/power antenna from the PAC ROEM-NIS2 however in wiring instructions on the first page the wire its connected to is the switched power. Do you guys think that could be the problem?

Last edited by Air_Infiniti; 05-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Just showing thanks.

Didn't do my double din install yet, just added on a aux input to the stock radio. Used the video to take apart the dash. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. A lot of pieces but pretty straight forward and easy. only took about 30 min to take apart, install aux add on, tuck and run wires and put back together.

thanks !

Old 06-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Howdy folks I ran into problems with the install of a Kenwood DPX300U into a 2005 G35 Coupe with the Bose sound system and found this site while trying to Google up answers to my questions. Looks like you have a great forum here and this thread in particular is very helpful.

My questions concern the electrical connections. Here's a couple pics of what I saw when I pulled the stock unit:

Name:  G35_kenwood_install_0_zps8fc8f45b.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  132.5 KB

The back of the stock unit showing four separate female connectors

Name:  G35_kenwood_install_1_zps42780a70.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  281.3 KB

The G35 stereo wiring harness showing the four male connectors. The other one in the pic is for the air conditioning controls.

In this pic the connectors labeled 1 & 2 are connected to the Scosche adapter so I can use the stock amps. I don't think I have any problems with connectors 1 & 2 everything looks pretty straight forward there.

Name:  G35_kenwood_install_2_zps2dbc80e3.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  238.4 KB

Connector 4 which is for the steering wheel controls. I have two questions on this.

1) Is it true that the AXXESS ASWC adapter connects only to the wires going into this connector - and no wires from the ASWC adapter connect to the Kenwood aftermarket unit?

2) The directions that came with the adapter and the wiring diagram above are consistent. Neither makes any mention of connecting the white wire in the pic above (on pin #6 of the stock connector) to anything. I just want to confirm that - nothing from either the ASWC adapter or Kenwood unit needs to connect to this white wire? There is a label on one of the wires that comes from the Kenwood unit that says"Steering Wheel Remote Unit" I'm wondering if that needs to go to the ASWC adapter or this connector???

Name:  G35_kenwood_install_3_zps0230a0ae.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  197.1 KB

Here's a pic of connector # 3.

3) As far as I can tell with the wiring diagram in this thread this connector is not used at all. The connections for speakers and power are accounted for with connectors 1 & 2. But it just seems like there are an awful lot of wires on connector #3 to just leave unconnected. Kinda makes me nervous to have so many "left over" wires.

So now I'm afraid to power on the system to test it out. I would hate to have something blow because I misunderstood the wiring diagrams here. So if anyone can help me out with some answers to these questions I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by bayou
In this pic the connectors labeled 1 & 2 are connected to the Scosche adapter so I can use the stock amps.
Which scosche adapter are you using? If it's just a wiring harness you'll run into problems.

1) Is it true that the AXXESS ASWC adapter connects only to the wires going into this connector - and no wires from the ASWC adapter connect to the Kenwood aftermarket unit?

2) The directions that came with the adapter and the wiring diagram above are consistent. Neither makes any mention of connecting the white wire in the pic above (on pin #6 of the stock connector) to anything. I just want to confirm that - nothing from either the ASWC adapter or Kenwood unit needs to connect to this white wire? There is a label on one of the wires that comes from the Kenwood unit that says"Steering Wheel Remote Unit" I'm wondering if that needs to go to the ASWC adapter or this connector???
1) The ASWC will connect to the steering wheel remote unit on the Kenwood headunit. See page two of the instructions linked in the first post.

2) The white wire is the vehicle speed sensor wire. It's not used by aftermarket headunits.

Here's a pic of connector # 3.

3) As far as I can tell with the wiring diagram in this thread this connector is not used at all. The connections for speakers and power are accounted for with connectors 1 & 2. But it just seems like there are an awful lot of wires on connector #3 to just leave unconnected. Kinda makes me nervous to have so many "left over" wires.
3) There's still the pre-wiring for the satellite harness and bluetooth adapters to account for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List