Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Which scosche adapter are you using? If it's just a wiring harness you'll run into problems.
It's the OEA-4A, here's a pic along with the connector that plugs into the Kenwood unit. Is this the wrong one to use? I wish I would have found this site before I bought all my stuff. I was relying on the sales consultants at Crutchfield for advice - they told me I ordered everything needed to do a proper install.

Name:  adapter_zps82a5c0c5.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  68.4 KB

Thanks for the link to the ASWC directions - those were not included with the one I received. I'm all set with this now.

3) There's still the pre-wiring for the satellite harness and bluetooth adapters to account for.
The Kenwood DPX300U doesn't have bluetooth. Sorry for the *** question but what does pre-wiring for the satellite harness consist of? Is this explained anywhere in this thread?

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 06 sedan with Bose (no nav).
I have a AVH-p8400bh waiting to be installed as my other parts come in the mail.

Parts on order are:
Parking Brake Override Bypass Fully Automatic Video in Motion Pioneer Custom for AVH-P8400BH
Axxess Metra ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface with New Micro B Connector
Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter
PAC ROEMNIS2 Factory Premium Sound Interface Headunit Replacement, For Select Nissan
JDM DD dual AC no navi trim kit

The Harness is where I have the question. I plan on keeping the Bose amp. Do I need the Metra 70-7551 Amplifier Integration Harness and the PAC ROEMNIS2, or just the PAC ROEMNIS2?

I don't want to hack any connections from the car harness so I want it to be all plug and play connectors. Then from the connectors I will solder the wires to the deck.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by davidalindsey
I have an 06 sedan with Bose (no nav).
I have a AVH-p8400bh waiting to be installed as my other parts come in the mail.

Parts on order are:
Parking Brake Override Bypass Fully Automatic Video in Motion Pioneer Custom for AVH-P8400BH
Axxess Metra ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface with New Micro B Connector
Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter
PAC ROEMNIS2 Factory Premium Sound Interface Headunit Replacement, For Select Nissan
JDM DD dual AC no navi trim kit

The Harness is where I have the question. I plan on keeping the Bose amp. Do I need the Metra 70-7551 Amplifier Integration Harness and the PAC ROEMNIS2, or just the PAC ROEMNIS2?

I don't want to hack any connections from the car harness so I want it to be all plug and play connectors. Then from the connectors I will solder the wires to the deck.

Thanks for the help.
Just as it's stated in the first post, you only need the ROEM-NIS2 to keep the bose amp.

You're going to either cut wires or hack up the factory radio to get the harness plug out to connect the steering wheel harness.

If you're afraid of cutting and soldering wires, you shouldn't attempt this.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Cool,
That's what I thought I just needed to get a second opinion.
Not afraid to cut and solder, I just want to make it clean as possible.
This isn't my first radio install but it is the first with steering wheel controls, so that part is new to me.
I have my solder and heat shrink ready for this project. I just need to do a little more reading on the ASWC-1.

Thank you Wrathernaut for all your advice and this thread.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Today I spent a good couple hours reading posts in this thread and I'm surprised that no one else here seems to be confused like me about how to integrate all the wires that go to connector #3 (post # 1229) of the stock harness into the aftermarket head unit install. I read a few dozen posts where folks made successful installs and not one question about this.

I took a look at the PAC adapter that is recommended in the 1st post to see if maybe it had three connectors for the stock harness instead of just two like on my Scosche adapter. Here's a pic of the PAC adapter and to me it looks identical to the one I have - a little nicer (and more expensive) but functionally the same:

Name:  PACadapter_zps9de9a8d7.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  35.0 KB

EDIT: Today I called Crutchfield with my question about connector #3 and they told me to forget about it, it does not get used to install the new head unit. He said the stock wiring harness probably had additional features incorporated into the wiring harness like the ability to add additional amps, a sub-woofer or a CD changer, etc. Does this sound correct? I wish someone who's made a successful install could tell me what they did with this connector.

Last edited by bayou; 06-03-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by bayou
Today I spent a good couple hours reading posts in this thread and I'm surprised that no one else here seems to be confused like me about how to integrate all the wires that go to connector #3 (post # 1229) of the stock harness into the aftermarket head unit install. I read a few dozen posts where folks made successful installs and not one question about this.

I took a look at the PAC adapter that is recommended in the 1st post to see if maybe it had three connectors for the stock harness instead of just two like on my Scosche adapter. Here's a pic of the PAC adapter and to me it looks identical to the one I have - a little nicer (and more expensive) but functionally the same:

EDIT: Today I called Crutchfield with my question about connector #3 and they told me to forget about it, it does not get used to install the new head unit. He said the stock wiring harness probably had additional features incorporated into the wiring harness like the ability to add additional amps, a sub-woofer or a CD changer, etc. Does this sound correct? I wish someone who's made a successful install could tell me what they did with this connector.
Yeah, it's functionally the same, but if I recall, it's about the same price (or more expensive) and was tested by less users, so in the interest of keeping the shopping list as simple as possible, I don't include it.

So, it sounds like Crutchfield told you exactly what I did. I know there's a ton of posts in this thread, but that connector has been covered multiple times, it is not used.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it's functionally the same, but if I recall, it's about the same price (or more expensive) and was tested by less users, so in the interest of keeping the shopping list as simple as possible, I don't include it.

So, it sounds like Crutchfield told you exactly what I did. I know there's a ton of posts in this thread, but that connector has been covered multiple times, it is not used.
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your reply to my first post where I was looking to get confirmation that this connector is not used. You mentioned pre-wiring the satellite harness which made me assume that this connector was related to that.

On the PAC vs Scosche adapters the price in the amazon link of the first post of this thread has $30 listed for the PAC item, Crutchfield charged me $15 for the Scosche part.

Yeah, there are a ton of posts here - after two hours of reading I was burned out. Anyway alls well that ends well. I'm a moderator for a motorcycle forum and I know how it can be trying to help a *** with something that's very simple to you. So thanks again for following up with me on this, I'll feel a lot better now when I power up the system for the first time.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
OK new problem

I think I may have shorted the switched 12V power to ground. When I first powered up to test the unit the CD player, amps and all speakers were fine but there was no radio reception. There was some talk about making sure the antenna amp/control lead was connected to switched power in the instructions so I removed some black electrical tape to check that connection. But then just as I finished removing the tape I remembered I forgot to plug in the antenna adapter and antenna lead into the headset, DOH!!! So I put the unit down and went to get the antenna adapter. All I can think of that may have happened is the soldered connection that I just exposed came in contact with the H/U mounting bracket which was grounded for the test. The switchable power was gone. I could only find one fuse under the hood labeled "radio" a 15 amp but it is still good. None of the fuses in the cabin are labeled with anything that makes me think they may have blown due to this. Any ideas what may happen if the switchable power of the stereo circuit get shorted to ground? Thanks.

EDIT: A guy on the NICO forum posted a link to the service manuals. Once I had the wiring diagram I was able to locate the fuse. It's #6 in the passenger cabin and it's labeled MIRROR. Everything's working great, sounds good, plenty of volume and nice clear FM reception. Now just to get it all back together without any more screw-ups.

Last edited by bayou; 06-03-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by bayou
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your reply to my first post where I was looking to get confirmation that this connector is not used. You mentioned pre-wiring the satellite harness which made me assume that this connector was related to that.

On the PAC vs Scosche adapters the price in the amazon link of the first post of this thread has $30 listed for the PAC item, Crutchfield charged me $15 for the Scosche part.

Yeah, there are a ton of posts here - after two hours of reading I was burned out. Anyway alls well that ends well. I'm a moderator for a motorcycle forum and I know how it can be trying to help a *** with something that's very simple to you. So thanks again for following up with me on this, I'll feel a lot better now when I power up the system for the first time.
The Scosche CNN03 is $15 when you get 1/2 off an accessory with purchase of a radio (it's $30 otherwise), but you're almost always going to get the radio more than $15 cheaper elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2005 coupe non Bose non nav, I'll be installing a jdm dd kit with pioneer dnx9960. Also, I have a sundown sub model SD10" D4 RMS:500watts. Impedance: Dual 4ohm. My question is what/which amp should use? This will be my first time installing amp and sub. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for this guide!

I have a 2004 G35 coupe w/Bose and have used this fantastic post to order everything I need to add aftermarket head unit, except for the trim. I am looking for some feedback from anybody before buying the trim/AC controls...

My '04 G is black on black, and so I'd like have a silver console and trim since everything in the '04 is just black. My goal is this:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-pictures.html

1) Where do people find the silver console (ashtray to upholders)?
2) Where do people find the silver lid for the non-nav compartment above the AC controls?
3) Are these extremely hard to come by now? Even worth trying to make the switch from black?

Thanks in advance for anybody's input.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by maximus1217
Thanks for this guide!

I have a 2004 G35 coupe w/Bose and have used this fantastic post to order everything I need to add aftermarket head unit, except for the trim. I am looking for some feedback from anybody before buying the trim/AC controls...

My '04 G is black on black, and so I'd like have a silver console and trim since everything in the '04 is just black. My goal is this:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-pictures.html

1) Where do people find the silver console (ashtray to upholders)?
2) Where do people find the silver lid for the non-nav compartment above the AC controls?
3) Are these extremely hard to come by now? Even worth trying to make the switch from black?

Thanks in advance for anybody's input.
It was a trim combination available, so most people only are having to replace the ashtray-up trim.

Grubb's Infiniti should be able to hook you up with the parts. I don't know if the storage compartment is a separate piece, or if you'll have to order the entire storage compartment.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 AM
It was a trim combination available, so most people only are having to replace the ashtray-up trim.

Grubb's Infiniti should be able to hook you up with the parts. I don't know if the storage compartment is a separate piece, or if you'll have to order the entire storage compartment.
Really, that makes sense then. I have seen some photos of G35's in various stages of swapping black to silver. Silver double din, black storage comparment, black console. Or silver double DIN and silver storage lid but still black console. I guess people are just finding trades or waiting patiently for used car parts. I've read (and have no doubt) that buying these pieces new from dealer would be $1000+. I can't really justify that so I guess I will stick with all black, thanks!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by maximus1217
Really, that makes sense then. I have seen some photos of G35's in various stages of swapping black to silver. Silver double din, black storage comparment, black console. Or silver double DIN and silver storage lid but still black console. I guess people are just finding trades or waiting patiently for used car parts. I've read (and have no doubt) that buying these pieces new from dealer would be $1000+. I can't really justify that so I guess I will stick with all black, thanks!
Probably closer to $600, Grubb's Infiniti is pretty good with not taking advantage of us.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Here is my setup. I also have the gap around the face of my head unit and it is also a bit sunken in. I have someone that is good with customization and he told me to order a sheet of abs plastic and he'll trim it accordingly. My question is I'd like to know if theres a way to remove the dash piece where the head unit is without having to remove the piece where the shifter is and the black trim on the sides?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List