Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
So I wired up my metra 70-7550 for to my pioneer harness using the following:

Connections:
Yellow – 12V Constant
Red – 12V Accessory
Black - Ground
Orange – Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green – Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White – Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe – Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple – Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe – Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray – Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe – Right Front Speaker (-)

HOWEVER

There are 2 extra wires on the metra harness. Blue with white stripe and a black with white stripe. One is labeled amplifier ground and the other amplifier turn on. These 2 also are not on the packaging. I already have the power antenna wire connected to the pioneer harness coming from the metra..these seem like maybe extra for amp I don't have?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by JaE35
So I wired up my metra 70-7550 for to my pioneer harness using the following:

Connections:
Yellow – 12V Constant
Red – 12V Accessory
Black - Ground
Orange – Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green – Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White – Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe – Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple – Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe – Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray – Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe – Right Front Speaker (-)

HOWEVER

There are 2 extra wires on the metra harness. Blue with white stripe and a black with white stripe. One is labeled amplifier ground and the other amplifier turn on. These 2 also are not on the packaging. I already have the power antenna wire connected to the pioneer harness coming from the metra..these seem like maybe extra for amp I don't have?
Do you not have the Bose amp? I believe this blue and white wire is for it.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 PM

G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Do you not have the Bose amp? I believe this blue and white wire is for it.
Nope, my system is non bose hence why i'm using 70-7550...really weird these are on here

Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by JaE35
Nope, my system is non bose hence why i'm using 70-7550...really weird these are on here
It isn't really weird... I used the 7550 for my system but also had another piece to accompany that. Cap those wires in electrical tape . You'll be fine. I am with bose, and tbh you may want to consider getting an aftermarket amp.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 AM

G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
It isn't really weird... I used the 7550 for my system but also had another piece to accompany that. Cap those wires in electrical tape . You'll be fine. I am with bose, and tbh you may want to consider getting an aftermarket amp.
I have an aftermarket amp powering my subwoofer..i'm just going to not connect the amp ground and splice the blue amp power wire in with the other ones...i think that's what the instructions say do on the front page

Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read through a lot of this thread and while it's been really helpful I still need some advice.
I was thinking to pickup the jdm kit and get an aftermarket double din HU, and possibly replace the bose amp as well. I saw the Rockford Fosgate 4 channel one that someone suggested, but wouldn't that mean I would need another mono amp as well? (I have no experience with car audio btw, but I do plan on trying the install myself).

What HU would you guys suggest that has GPS/bluetooth and usb/ipod connector? I was looking at the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS and it seems like a pretty good option. But I'm open to other suggestions. I'd like to spend less than $1k on this whole project if possible.
If I were to replace the stock bose amp, would I need to run new wire to the stock speakers to connect to an aftermarket amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by jme715
I've read through a lot of this thread and while it's been really helpful I still need some advice.
I was thinking to pickup the jdm kit and get an aftermarket double din HU, and possibly replace the bose amp as well. I saw the Rockford Fosgate 4 channel one that someone suggested, but wouldn't that mean I would need another mono amp as well? (I have no experience with car audio btw, but I do plan on trying the install myself).

What HU would you guys suggest that has GPS/bluetooth and usb/ipod connector? I was looking at the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS and it seems like a pretty good option. But I'm open to other suggestions. I'd like to spend less than $1k on this whole project if possible.
If I were to replace the stock bose amp, would I need to run new wire to the stock speakers to connect to an aftermarket amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You can use just the front speakers and bridge the other two channels to run the sub; so you can do it with only the one amp. It'll be better than the bose amp, even without the rear speakers (which I don't recommend using at all anyway).

X5500 is a fine headunit for the price.
I wouldn't recommend *any* headunit with built-in navigation, unless you're without any smartphone. Any free navigation on a smartphone is going to be better than any navigation built into a headunit these days. Every DDin touchscreen headunit made these days includes USB/iPod support, with bluetooth being pretty much standard as well in anything but the bottom-of-the-line headunits.

You can use all the stock speaker wiring from the trunk to the speakers, but I would run new RCAs from the headunit to the trunk to get the signal from the headunit.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
The kit that I purchased off crutchfield.com already has an antenna adapter and a Scosche CNN03 Factory Integration Adapter. Does this mean that I will not need the PAC ROEM-NIS2? Just want to double check.

Also, I will still need the Axxess Metra ASWC-1 for the steering wheel controls correct? I'm just not sure because the kit on crutchfield says that the Scosche is all I need, but I don't think that's right. Thank you in advance.

My factory set is Bose btw.

Last edited by ZFRED10; 09-18-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ZFRED10
The kit that I purchased off crutchfield.com already has an antenna adapter and a Scosche CNN03 Factory Integration Adapter. Does this mean that I will not need the PAC ROEM-NIS2? Just want to double check.

Also, I will still need the Axxess Metra ASWC-1 for the steering wheel controls correct? I'm just not sure because the kit on crutchfield says that the Scosche is all I need, but I don't think that's right. Thank you in advance.

My factory set is Bose btw.
The scosche CNN03 is designed to do the same job as the ROEM-NIS2, so it should work, but it has not been used anywhere near as extensively as the ROEM-NIS2 by users of this board. You get it for just $15 with the headunit purchase on crutchfield, so it's certainly worth a try.

You'll still need a steering wheel control adapter.

The reason why I won't put the Scosche CNN03 on the shopping list, is that the list tries to be as simple as possible, so putting multiple options for equivalent products that vary in price by only a few dollars isn't worth the complication. I tried very early on to have each option on the list, but it got waaaay too complicated. Having multiple vendors had similar problems, which is why I just went with Amazon, since they do have multiple vendors through the site, and at very least, lets you see it for comparison shopping elsewhere.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-19-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The scosche CNN03 is designed to do the same job as the ROEM-NIS2, so it should work, but it has not been used anywhere near as extensively as the ROEM-NIS2 by users of this board. You get it for just $15 with the headunit purchase on crutchfield, so it's certainly worth a try.

You'll still need a steering wheel control adapter.

The reason why I won't put the Scosche CNN03 on the shopping list, is that the list tries to be as simple as possible, so putting multiple options for equivalent products that vary in price by only a few dollars isn't worth the complication. I tried very early on to have each option on the list, but it got waaaay too complicated. Having multiple vendors had similar problems, which is why I just went with Amazon, since they do have multiple vendors through the site, and at very least, lets you see it for comparison shopping elsewhere.
Thanks a lot for clearing that up. And yeah I reccomend ordering off crutchfield if they have the headunit of your choice. The metra double din is half off with the purchase too.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. And yeah I reccomend ordering off crutchfield if they have the headunit of your choice. The metra double din is half off with the purchase too.
Yes, you save like $50 off the trim, but for the more expensive headunits, they're usually more than $50 more than you can find that unit off of amazon.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yes, you save like $50 off the trim, but for the more expensive headunits, they're usually more than $50 more than you can find that unit off of amazon.
I recieved $100 off the trim. You're right the headunits are generally more expensive, but I priced everything out with the half off accessories included compared to amazon/eBay and ended up saving about $30.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I recieved $100 off the trim. You're right the headunits are generally more expensive, but I priced everything out with the half off accessories included compared to amazon/eBay and ended up saving about $30.
I meant about $50 off what it commonly sells for on Amazon, not crutchfield.

But yes, crutchfield can be cheaper and their customer service is excellent.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Hey,

Just finished soldering my PAC ROEM-NIS2 to my X5500BHS harness,

The unit does not have navi, I don't plan on ever watching any dvd's on it, and I dont plan on hooking up a camera.

Do I need to hook up the:
- Reverse signal wire,
- Parking brake wire,
- Vehicle speed sensor

??

Im 99% sure vehicle speed and reverse signal dont matter. But if I don't connect the parking brake wire will that stop anything other than playing dvd's from working?

All I have left to do now is solder the steering controls and grounding everything.

Also, where should I ground? And when you ground whats the best way to do it? I was thinking of doing it at the top screw for the trim piece like this pic:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-ejnaf.jpg

But when you do it how do you physically attach the ground cable to the metal? Do I need one of those ring adapters on the cable than put it between the screw and the metal?

Thanks

Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by arekieh
Hey,

Just finished soldering my PAC ROEM-NIS2 to my X5500BHS harness,

The unit does not have navi, I don't plan on ever watching any dvd's on it, and I dont plan on hooking up a camera.

Do I need to hook up the:
- Reverse signal wire,
- Parking brake wire,
- Vehicle speed sensor

??

Im 99% sure vehicle speed and reverse signal dont matter. But if I don't connect the parking brake wire will that stop anything other than playing dvd's from working?

All I have left to do now is solder the steering controls and grounding everything.

Also, where should I ground? And when you ground whats the best way to do it? I was thinking of doing it at the top screw for the trim piece like this pic:

But when you do it how do you physically attach the ground cable to the metal? Do I need one of those ring adapters on the cable than put it between the screw and the metal?

Thanks
Parking brake wire needs to be connected on many radios which lock out many of the setup and audio preference options, so I'd hook that up, bypassing that safety check another way is not illegal, but will allow you to do illegal things, so that's on you.

Yes, use a ring terminal, it will reduce the amount of stress on the wires, preventing fatigue and breaking over time. Pressed together in a crimp connector is fine on wires; getting smashed in a rotating screw and twisted into a small radius all at the same time, not so good. That location is good from a wiring standpoint, it's good bare metal and you can sandwich it between the two pieces, but it's in a spot that's a little tricky to get to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List