Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Yeah, still can't tell what's going on.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yeah, still can't tell what's going on.
I wasn't showing that to try to get some help, otherwise I would have taken pictures of the wires. Just wanted to show how they hooked up the sub amp to the regular amp. They ran rca's from the back which go into that box, then come out as wires which they spliced together with the stock amp wiring.. if youre still open to helping then I can take some pictures of the wiring and post it up but it sounded like you were pretty well done trying which i can obviously understand

Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok so I separated the RCA's from the aftermarket amp and the wires from the stock amp. I plugged the RCA's directly into the HU so the sub is working fine. Unless there is something wrong with my wiring I am beginning to think that my stock amp is just dead. Is there a way that I can check if this is the case?

By the way here is a picture of the wiring.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...-53-33_883.jpg

Old 08-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by shocker611
Ok so I separated the RCA's from the aftermarket amp and the wires from the stock amp. I plugged the RCA's directly into the HU so the sub is working fine. Unless there is something wrong with my wiring I am beginning to think that my stock amp is just dead. Is there a way that I can check if this is the case?

By the way here is a picture of the wiring.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...-53-33_883.jpg
Best thing is to just cut the POS factory amp out of the loop completely, even if it's "good" it's bad.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will it sound good if you just cuz the stock amps out and wire straight to speakers

Old 08-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Best thing is to just cut the POS factory amp out of the loop completely, even if it's "good" it's bad.
Haha yeah so would I just be switching the wires from the stock to the aftermarket or is it more than that? Is there some diy for it somewhere?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Night
will it sound good if you just cuz the stock amps out and wire straight to speakers
Yeah, the internal amp in most aftermarket stereos is better than the Bose one, however, you only get 4 amplified channels from aftermarket radios, and you need 5 or 6 channels for our cars.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by shocker611
Haha yeah so would I just be switching the wires from the stock to the aftermarket or is it more than that? Is there some diy for it somewhere?
Well, you'd benefit from using your own RCAs from the headunit, but you can re-use the stock wiring both to and from the trunk.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Well, you'd benefit from using your own RCAs from the headunit, but you can re-use the stock wiring both to and from the trunk.
Alright ill probably just run some new rcas then.. thanks a lot man

Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah, the internal amp in most aftermarket stereos is better than the Bose one, however, you only get 4 amplified channels from aftermarket radios, and you need 5 or 6 channels for our cars.
Ahh I didnt see this. So if we need 5 or 6 for the cars, and I have a 4 channel amp(if i remember right) then do you just run the other 1 or 2 straight through the head unit? How does that work?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stereo and a/c control replacement.

great! Great! GREAT! writeup. I'm a newbe with a 2003 coupe @ 150k miles that I picked up for a song. LOVE the car but I'm apprehensive to put a lot of money to fix the intermittent dead ctr console and blasting A/c. I have taken things apart a few times (easy job) to try and find the cause. If I hit the ctr console hard (either lt or RT), it will come back to life and I can turn the air off and control the HU (it always works at the wheel). Accordingly it is either an electrical short or a bad connection(burned out transistors, diodes, resisters, HUs are not intermittent), seemingly at the finisher circuit since it is the most susceptible to "punch" fix. Has anyone traced the exact cause of the problem and why a "hit" can fix it...for awhile?????? At 150k miles I would like to spend my limited resources keeping this great car running and not replacing what i would consider an intermittently functional stereo, a/c controls, ctr console and nav unit. To replace all this crap on a budget would cost at least 6 bills....unless I dump the nav unit. sorry for the long post but it seems like a simple soldering or replaced connection could fix ????? If not, I have done the research and will go the crutchfield route and try to mod the metra to take my nav. Once again.....fantastic thread.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by tom patten
great! Great! GREAT! writeup. I'm a newbe with a 2003 coupe @ 150k miles that I picked up for a song. LOVE the car but I'm apprehensive to put a lot of money to fix the intermittent dead ctr console and blasting A/c. I have taken things apart a few times (easy job) to try and find the cause. If I hit the ctr console hard (either lt or RT), it will come back to life and I can turn the air off and control the HU (it always works at the wheel). Accordingly it is either an electrical short or a bad connection(burned out transistors, diodes, resisters, HUs are not intermittent), seemingly at the finisher circuit since it is the most susceptible to "punch" fix. Has anyone traced the exact cause of the problem and why a "hit" can fix it...for awhile?????? At 150k miles I would like to spend my limited resources keeping this great car running and not replacing what i would consider an intermittently functional stereo, a/c controls, ctr console and nav unit. To replace all this crap on a budget would cost at least 6 bills....unless I dump the nav unit. sorry for the long post but it seems like a simple soldering or replaced connection could fix ????? If not, I have done the research and will go the crutchfield route and try to mod the metra to take my nav. Once again.....fantastic thread.
It could just be your ribbon cable.

Give this a try:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g-channel.html

Otherwise, you can always do the cheap metra+single din installation for under $200.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
My 03 Bose/climate control finally flaked out yesterday after nearly 9 years of use. A good solid whack on the dashboard brought the A/C control back to life.

My question is about the JDM console peice. My 03 has the Willow interior the titanium trim. What I'm concerned about is when ordering the "titanium" JDM console, I notice that the outside ears of the console are shown to always be black in the ad pictures. Are these parts exposed or do they get covered by the rotating vent assembly. If not, is there a specific part no. for the titanium trim with the willow colored ears? I certainly don't see that option.

Note the black ears of the console piece

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No, those black sides are not covered by the vents, but the part where the "paint seam" is *is* covered.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
No, those black sides are not covered by the vents, but the part where the "paint seam" is *is* covered.
Ok. So us Willow owners with titanium trim are out of luck then because I don't see an option noting the titanium trim with willow side vent edges. All the sites just note "titanium" trim and show the piece with black sides.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List