Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
What r u guys using for the surround of the double din? I see I nice quarter inch gap down at the bottom. Where would i buy this trim piece or do I make my own?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by YOUNG1TRAN
What r u guys using for the surround of the double din? I see I nice quarter inch gap down at the bottom. Where would i buy this trim piece or do I make my own?
That's the
scosche universal trim ring scosche universal trim ring
listed in all the JDM shopping lists.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey found the post. Im the guy from youtube. I just wanted to post up so i could find it easier when i start my radio swap. I usually by all my stuff through crutchfield, and i want to do it right, one time. Should i just get the recommended things through amazon?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by 007NISMO
Hey found the post. Im the guy from youtube. I just wanted to post up so i could find it easier when i start my radio swap. I usually by all my stuff through crutchfield, and i want to do it right, one time. Should i just get the recommended things through amazon?
Hey, you're just in South Carolina? I'm less than 4 hours away in Savannah... You can pretty much just take 17 south right about to my front door. Come on down and we can be sure to do it right the first time. Seriously. I work for pizza & Mountain Dew (throwback preferred )

Crutchfield has good service, but they're rarely the cheapest source. If you're doing the Metra kit though, you can get a good deal on it if you buy the headunit at the same time, plus you get free wiring harnesses and antenna adapters, so it still may be worth it to get at least that much through them, but the steering wheel adapter, scosche trim ring and PAC ROEM-NIS2 if needed, get through amazon.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Hey, you're just in South Carolina? I'm less than 4 hours away in Savannah... You can pretty much just take 17 south right about to my front door. Come on down and we can be sure to do it right the first time. Seriously. I work for pizza & Mountain Dew (throwback preferred )

Crutchfield has good service, but they're rarely the cheapest source. If you're doing the Metra kit though, you can get a good deal on it if you buy the headunit at the same time, plus you get free wiring harnesses and antenna adapters, so it still may be worth it to get at least that much through them, but the steering wheel adapter, scosche trim ring and PAC ROEM-NIS2 if needed, get through amazon.
yea lol im about less then two hours from charleston. Im might tak you up on the offer when i get the money to do so if i dont get eager to do it on my own lol.

I just did a price comparison with everything you said to get, but the better stuff and add the scosche trim ring and it came to $30 cheaper then crutchfield with the Pioneer 3300BT. i thought that was pretty good, and CF prob doesnt include the trim ring.

I would have probably already ordered everything, but I had to put an extra $1500 on my car so my payments werent to much. i just got to save up and wait to get the JDM trim kit. But ill let you know. And thanks again for posting all this up

Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

yea lol im about less then two hours from charleston. Im might tak you up on the offer when i get the money to do so if i dont get eager to do it on my own lol.

I just did a price comparison with everything you said to get, but the better stuff and add the scosche trim ring and it came to $30 cheaper then crutchfield with the Pioneer 3300BT. i thought that was pretty good, and CF prob doesnt include the trim ring.

I would have probably already ordered everything, but I had to put an extra $1500 on my car so my payments werent to much. i just got to save up and wait to get the JDM trim kit. But ill let you know. And thanks again for posting all this up
Well, you know where to find me when you get the gear, I'm free most weekends to take an hour or two to do an install.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
hey man i got another question for you if you dont mind. ok hopefully sooner then later ill be doing my DD conversion as you know. Im getting the pioneer 3300BT and ill be getting the PAC ROEM-NIS2 and PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Radio Interface also. my 2007 G coupe has factory bluetooth. Im sure youve been asked this before, but I want to make atleast the factory mic to work with the new radio. if i can use the steering wheel controls for it that would be great, but i really want to use just the mic. is the mic wire hooked up to the back of the radio? if so can i just re-hook it up to new radio or just splice the ends to work? any insight would be greatly appreciated. if it gets to complicated, I may just be taking a ride to see you when i get everything lol

Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

hey man i got another question for you if you dont mind. ok hopefully sooner then later ill be doing my DD conversion as you know. Im getting the pioneer 3300BT and ill be getting the PAC ROEM-NIS2 and PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Radio Interface also. my 2007 G coupe has factory bluetooth. Im sure youve been asked this before, but I want to make atleast the factory mic to work with the new radio. if i can use the steering wheel controls for it that would be great, but i really want to use just the mic. is the mic wire hooked up to the back of the radio? if so can i just re-hook it up to new radio or just splice the ends to work? any insight would be greatly appreciated. if it gets to complicated, I may just be taking a ride to see you when i get everything lol
The wires run back to the bluetooth unit, both the steering wheel controls and mic, so you have to bypass the steering wheel controls at the unit, and I'll have to check the service manuals, but the mic wire can probably be tapped into somewhere at the top of the a-pillar.

However, if the factory mic has had any complaints from people you've talked with on it, then it might be worth upgrading.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 PM
ive made several calls on it, through the phone and voice dial and i havent had any problems so far. I just want to use the factory mic atleast so i dont have to run another and this "thing" sticking out somewhere. I have done the samet hing in my last car, i bought the 3200BT and ran the mic line up near the visor, but the windshield in a 2004 GTO is different to a G35 coupe

Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
anyone know the difference between the alpine ina-w900 vs the alpine ina-w910?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up man!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
What is needed so the double din screen will dim when the dimmer switch is used? I like to drive at night without any dashboard lights and only use the steering wheel controls.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by AARONHL
What is needed so the double din screen will dim when the dimmer switch is used? I like to drive at night without any dashboard lights and only use the steering wheel controls.
The dimmer wire needs to be connected. Also some headunits need you to explicitly turn the feature on in the system settings.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
So are you saying all headunits will dim if the wire is connected? How could I check?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Can't seem to find an answer to this:

My pioneer Z120BT power harness has only a blue/white wire for the "auto-antenna relay control terminal" or "to system control terminal of the power am". However the input of the PAC ROEM-NIS2 has both a blue "power antenna" wire and a blue/white "amp trigger". Which one do I connect the blue/white wire coming out of the pioneer harness to ?

BTW I have a 2003 G35 coupe with two BOSE speakers in the rear.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List