Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH install headaches

Just installed a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH in my '05 G35 sedan w/Bose and no nav. Radio is working well, but I've lost the center message center for the AC controls and compass. I used the JDM trim plate w/ dual AC controls, and yes, I had dual controls before. AC controls seems to work, but no lights. Obviously made a bonehead mistake. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

UPDATE - a bonehead move it was. Apparently ran the dimmer switch all the way down when removing/replacing the lower trim panel under the steering wheel. Glad I figured it out before pulling the HU again to check connections. Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, huh?

Last edited by reguy65; 06-28-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bose subwoofer and rear speaker questions

After installing my pioneer dd hu my rear speakers located at the back window produces no sound. I believed I had a bose speaker system bc the original hu said bose on it and the rear window speakers also says bose and the stock sound system sounded like it had a subwoofer. I used the pac-oem to install my dd hu. I thought it was odd that no sound was coming out of the rear window speakers but sound is coming out of the rear lower speakers. Can someone help me explain this and where is the stock bose subwoofer located?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by btran35
After installing my pioneer dd hu my rear speakers located at the back window produces no sound. I believed I had a bose speaker system bc the original hu said bose on it and the rear window speakers also says bose and the stock sound system sounded like it had a subwoofer. I used the pac-oem to install my dd hu. I thought it was odd that no sound was coming out of the rear window speakers but sound is coming out of the rear lower speakers. Can someone help me explain this and where is the stock bose subwoofer located?
A lot of Pioneer four-channel DDs set the rear channels to be subwoofer channels, so you need to go into the setup and make sure the rear is set to full.

The rear window speakers are the closest thing to subwoofers your car has stock. The bose amp only has four channels of input, which it turns into six, so if the rear sides are working at all, you're wired correctly, and it's just a matter of the bose amp's EQ screwing up the audio, probably due to whatever the rear channel output is looking like from the Pioneer.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
2. Steering Wheel Interface: - Use the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 for EVERYTHING except for the X920BT, Z110BT, Z120BT or Z130BT - for those models the PAC SWI-PS will let you map a button to the voice command feature. (Instructions for installing the ASWC into a G35 can be found here.
Would I want the ASWC-1 or the AC SWI-PS for the newly released pioneer appradio 3?

Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

It's a bit old, but it doesn't look like Pioneer supports voice command mapping with the appradio (http://appradioforums.com/Thread-Ste...Wheel-Controls). If you're not averse to soldering the resistors in with the SWI-PS and reporting back whether it works or not, go ahead.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Okay I just bought the SWI-PS. I'll report back whether it works or not. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Question about the AC controller on the JDM double din dash

Sorry for the newbie question,

Can you use the original factory AC controller on a JDM double din dash kit?
Theoretically it should just pop out of the old one and slide into the JDM kit right?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
Nope, not even theoretically.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Kalenalu
Sorry for the newbie question,

Can you use the original factory AC controller on a JDM double din dash kit?
Theoretically it should just pop out of the old one and slide into the JDM kit right?
No, there's stickies to avoid newbie questions at the top of the a/v subforum. And it's answered in the FAQs of this very thread - https://g35driver.com/forums/5036315-post3.html

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 07-07-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Pioneer 42000dvd installed...bose system sedan...read speakers arent that lour and stock sub in back window isnt working....messed with the deck still nothing

Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Excellent thread. This was a big help when installing and shopping.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
It's a bit old, but it doesn't look like Pioneer supports voice command mapping with the appradio (http://appradioforums.com/Thread-Ste...Wheel-Controls). If you're not averse to soldering the resistors in with the SWI-PS and reporting back whether it works or not, go ahead.
I finally got everything installed but It doesn't look like voice command mapping works with the Appradio 3. Everything else works flawlessly though. Thanks for your shopping list. It saved me a lot of time!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM
GAP problem with JDM DASH

i cant look at 84 pages. but can someone help me with my gap problem.

i just installed a jdm dash with a pionner but it has The GAP.

i read about the "Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring " is this still our best solution??

Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I used some 1/4" x 1/8" rectangular foam weatherstripping I had in my home maintenance junk box, it has a flat side with adhesive tape on it. Stick it on the head unit so that it is flush with the face panel when installed.

Actually just remembered out it is "wing seating tape" for RC model planes...cheap and cheerful, looks a lot better than the gap and the cheesy/poor fitting DD trim ring I tried first.

Most hobby shops carry this stuff, or order online here.

The following users liked this post:
GeeRider35 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by GeeRider35
i cant look at 84 pages. but can someone help me with my gap problem.

i just installed a jdm dash with a pionner but it has The GAP.

i read about the "Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring " is this still our best solution??
Any black plastic (or even felt, or foam) will work to fill the gap, but the scosche ring can be cut with a razor blade, heavy scissors or a dremel, so that's why it's the best solution for most applications. If you're skilled enough to use other items in place of it, it's not an issue that you'd even have to ask about.

The following users liked this post:
GeeRider35 (08-12-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List