Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Successful and easy install thanks to Wrathernaut!
Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Stubie1918
Successful and easy install thanks to Wrathernaut!
Looks clean, nice work!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I'm getting my shopping list together and have two questions about steering wheel adapters:

With the OEM stereo, when the track up/down is pressed and held on the steering wheel it seeks to the next available radio station instead of switching to the next preset station.

Do the Metra Axxess or PAC SWI retain this functionality or have any press and hold functions for the steering wheel buttons?

It looks like the iDatalink Maestro is a third option for a steering wheel adapter. It can assign secondary functions to the buttons when they are pressed and held, so it can double the usefulness of the steering wheel controls.

Does anyone have any experience with the iDatalink Maestro steering wheel adapter?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by gremlin
Hi all, I'm getting my shopping list together and have two questions about steering wheel adapters:

With the OEM stereo, when the track up/down is pressed and held on the steering wheel it seeks to the next available radio station instead of switching to the next preset station.

Do the Metra Axxess or PAC SWI retain this functionality or have any press and hold functions for the steering wheel buttons?

It looks like the iDatalink Maestro is a third option for a steering wheel adapter. It can assign secondary functions to the buttons when they are pressed and held, so it can double the usefulness of the steering wheel controls.

Does anyone have any experience with the iDatalink Maestro steering wheel adapter?
I see nothing on programming a secondary function in the instruction manual, despite the mention on the product page. It's up to the radio manufacturer on what it does with the signals for tap or hold of the buttons. If you look at the manual's function pairing page - http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/cor...N_20120913.pdf - you might be able to tell what it'll do. Pioneer splits the preset up/down and seek up/down (which does track up/down on cd/iPod/USB). This prevents the steering wheel controls from acting like the factory radio, which had preset up/down and seek on the same buttons. Sony, on the other hand, only has seek up/down, so it probably does presets, seek, and track all from the same button, like the stock radio. When you tap the seek up/down on Pioneer, it changes tracks, when you hold it, it acts as fast forward, when listening to the radio, tapping increments the tuner frequency by .2 mhz, while holding it seeks the next station.

The only good online retailer I see with the Maestro is Crutchfield, where it's twice as expensive as the SWI-PS or Axxess, with no benefits over either of them for most installs, so to keep the shopping list as simple as possible, I won't add it in.

The following users liked this post:
gremlin (03-17-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to say thanks for putting everything together, it helped a lot!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 AM
I have an '06 Sedan withOUT dual AC. I have the Metra double din WITH dual AC button. Does anyone know if this kit will work in my car?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AL2275
I have an '06 Sedan withOUT dual AC. I have the Metra double din WITH dual AC button. Does anyone know if this kit will work in my car?
It will work. I have it on the wifes car

Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Duriisimo
It will work. I have it on the wifes car
Thanks!!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Hey fellow audio fiends,

I have a complicated issue here. I have a 06 G35 non-navi with Bose premium factory setup currently.

I want to change out all the speakers except for the sub inside the car to Alpine Type Rs and a Kenwood dnx890 HU. I found out later I would need to change out the Bose amp since it supports only 2 ohms speakers (type r are 4 ohms). I think a 4 channel amp should be fine right?

If I get a four channel amp, can I use the existing Bose wiring with the ROMENIS2 harness? Are there any adapters you guys recommend?

Or do I need to wire it straight from the aftermarket HU to the aftermarket amp? Any recommendations?

Also is there a way to hook up the stock Bose sub to an aftermarket amp? Bass is not big need for me but having it is nice.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Project-G
Hey fellow audio fiends,

I have a complicated issue here. I have a 06 G35 non-navi with Bose premium factory setup currently.

I want to change out all the speakers except for the sub inside the car to Alpine Type Rs and a Kenwood dnx890 HU. I found out later I would need to change out the Bose amp since it supports only 2 ohms speakers (type r are 4 ohms). I think a 4 channel amp should be fine right?

If I get a four channel amp, can I use the existing Bose wiring with the ROMENIS2 harness? Are there any adapters you guys recommend?

Or do I need to wire it straight from the aftermarket HU to the aftermarket amp? Any recommendations?

Also is there a way to hook up the stock Bose sub to an aftermarket amp? Bass is not big need for me but having it is nice.

Thanks in advance!
If you're swapping out the headunit and amp, you've no reason to get a ROEM-NIS2 adapter. Just use the 70-7550 and run your own RCAs to the trunk. No need for any special adapter either. You can hook up the bose sub to an aftermarket amp by running wires between the amp and the sub, nothing special required. I can't say the sub will do much, but it's free, so give it a chance I suppose.

The following users liked this post:
Osa713 (06-13-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Thank you. I'm going to start shopping for my wiring.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts
So if I have dual climate control currently in my 06 coupe non nav. I cant reuse my dual climate controls from my factory stock bose hu?? I havent lookedon why but it seams like these r detachable and easy to install?? Im confused can anyone clarify also if my single a/c jdm kit will still work even if I dont have a dual jdm kit??

Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by serges
So if I have dual climate control currently in my 06 coupe non nav. I cant reuse my dual climate controls from my factory stock bose hu?? I havent lookedon why but it seams like these r detachable and easy to install?? Im confused can anyone clarify also if my single a/c jdm kit will still work even if I dont have a dual jdm kit??
Look on why. There's an entire sticky at the top of the a/v forums, and the reasons are mentioned in the first page of this post as well. It's been clarified many times. Single zone climate control will work, the only difference between the two are the presence of the button and moving plastic on top.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts
Ok thanx I got so much on my mind w my build... im haveing a hard time paying attwntion... sorry oq I know...

Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wrathernaut, do have a pic someone in this thread to show how to get a backup camera's wires into the trunk?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List