Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok so you're saying take the bluetooth module a.k.a. TEL adapter unit out of the loop by - unplugging it directly at it's harness and then jumper the inputs/outputs (green to green, red to red, yellow to yellow) at the harness?

The module is useless with the factory radio gone?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Stingray90
Ok so you're saying take the bluetooth module a.k.a. TEL adapter unit out of the loop by - unplugging it directly at it's harness and then jumper the inputs/outputs (green to green, red to red, yellow to yellow) at the harness?

The module is useless with the factory radio gone?
Short answer, yes, it's useless.

Long answer, no it's not useless, with the proper relays and such, you could rig something similar to the nav voice retention setup from the FAQs to do something similar with the TEL voice, but you'd need a 5v trigger wire instead of 9v, but since aftermarket radios don't typically have a triggered input switch at all, only a mute, you have to rig the relay outside the radio. For all that work, it's easier to just pick up a radio that has built-in bluetooth that is much more up-to-date and easier to use with a touchscreen, instead of the "80's VCR" setup required with the factory bluetooth TEL system.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im going to buy the AVH8400 and wanted to verify which steering control wires do i need to pick up.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Thasupa1
Im going to buy the AVH8400 and wanted to verify which steering control wires do i need to pick up.
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Use this PAC SWI-PS for Pioneer X920BT, Z110BT, Z120BT or Z130BT - Use the Metra Axxess ASWC for ALL others
^ First post.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Short answer, yes, it's useless.

Long answer, no it's not useless, with the proper relays and such, you could rig something similar to the nav voice retention setup from the FAQs to do something similar with the TEL voice, but you'd need a 5v trigger wire instead of 9v, but since aftermarket radios don't typically have a triggered input switch at all, only a mute, you have to rig the relay outside the radio. For all that work, it's easier to just pick up a radio that has built-in bluetooth that is much more up-to-date and easier to use with a touchscreen, instead of the "80's VCR" setup required with the factory bluetooth TEL system.
Ok cool. Just bypassed the module. When I get a chance to re-program the aswc I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need help on how to prepare a non dual air control to put dual air controls on it.
Is it simply relocating the button like on the video or is there pre steps?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Besides removing the circuit board from the finisher trim, it's all in the video.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I finally got around to trying out my dual zone control to see exactly what it did. Clearly wasn't worth the risk to me to potentially damaging the JDM A/C controls to move it over.

Still waiting on my damn Scosche trim to come in which is holding up my whole install process. I did snap a couple pics of the PAC ROEM-NIS2 wiring but basically all I did was follow the wiring chart in the first page of this post. Once I test and verify that I have everything right, i'll throw some pics up on here of this, the bypass that I used so that I don't have to tap into the parking brake and the Axxess.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Shopping List

I've read this thread and done some research and I think I've got my shopping list completed. But before I place my orderS, I wanted to ask the expert community for some feedback.
I'm going to install a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH and just wanted to confirm that I'm ordering all of the parts that will be required.

I have a 2006 G35 Coupe with stock navigation and dual AC controls.

1-JDM Trim with Navigation
2-JDM AC Controller
3-Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface
4-Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter
5-PAC ROEM-NIS2 - As I have a stock Bose system and am not changing or installing any speakers or amp, etc.
6-Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

If I'm missing anything, please let me know. I'd love some feedback. I'm new to doing something like this, so I'm trying to do all of my research upfront to make it easier down the road. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by G35Creedmoor
I've read this thread and done some research and I think I've got my shopping list completed. But before I place my orderS, I wanted to ask the expert community for some feedback.
I'm going to install a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH and just wanted to confirm that I'm ordering all of the parts that will be required.

I have a 2006 G35 Coupe with stock navigation and dual AC controls.

1-JDM Trim with Navigation
2-JDM AC Controller
3-Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface
4-Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter
5-PAC ROEM-NIS2 - As I have a stock Bose system and am not changing or installing any speakers or amp, etc.
6-Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

If I'm missing anything, please let me know. I'd love some feedback. I'm new to doing something like this, so I'm trying to do all of my research upfront to make it easier down the road. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Seeing as how the 8400BH includes a trim ring (it's about time Pioneer started doing that...) you're good to go.

The following users liked this post:
G35Creedmoor (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
I finally got around to trying out my dual zone control to see exactly what it did. Clearly wasn't worth the risk to me to potentially damaging the JDM A/C controls to move it over.

Still waiting on my damn Scosche trim to come in which is holding up my whole install process. I did snap a couple pics of the PAC ROEM-NIS2 wiring but basically all I did was follow the wiring chart in the first page of this post. Once I test and verify that I have everything right, i'll throw some pics up on here of this, the bypass that I used so that I don't have to tap into the parking brake and the Axxess.
Bypass instructions aren't allowed on this board, so leave that bit out, but pictures of verified working ROEM wiring are appreciated. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Wrathernaut I'm torn between an almost brand new Z130BT for 600 installed with all accessories (iPod cables, act) or brand new Z140BH for 750 installed

Is the Z140 worth it?

I have JDM DD Trim
JDM A/C Controls soon to be modded
Antenna Adapter
Tried 70-7551 but gonna get PAC ROEM NIS2

Plus I would like to know if you're gonna make a DIY for the DD camp, like I said before, I don't wanna get jacked

Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bypass instructions aren't allowed on this board, so leave that bit out, but pictures of verified working ROEM wiring are appreciated. Good luck!
So it looks like the radio is working and after a couple times through the AXXESS programming, the steering wheel controls work EXCEPT for the power button. I came across another thread where somebody with a Zxxx unit wasn't able to get his power button working properly. Is this an issue with all Pioneer units?

If i'm not mistaken, using the wiring diagram on the OP, I connected the solid red wire from the AXXESS to the red accessory wire on the stereo. I wasn't able to solder since my car is in a condo lot with no power outlets. Is this connected properly? Seek, mode and volume all work properly...

EDIT: An issue I ran into with my P2400BT install was that the Scorshe trim wasn't large enough at the bottom so I had to cut the Pioneer included trim and glue it to the bottom of the Scorshe trim for anybody thinking of getting this unit. Didn't bother using the included trim since it was just overall too big for the unit. Seems that the pioneer units fit small (as discussed in other posts i've read on this forum).

Last edited by RastaManMax; 08-17-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by 713.apalafox.94
Wrathernaut I'm torn between an almost brand new Z130BT for 600 installed with all accessories (iPod cables, act) or brand new Z140BH for 750 installed

Is the Z140 worth it?

I have JDM DD Trim
JDM A/C Controls soon to be modded
Antenna Adapter
Tried 70-7551 but gonna get PAC ROEM NIS2

Plus I would like to know if you're gonna make a DIY for the DD camp, like I said before, I don't wanna get jacked
A few things:
The Z130 has voice control of navigation and iPod. The Z140 doesn't. For this reason, the Z130 is better in my opinion.
Neither unit has particularly great navigation though.

For under $600, you can get the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and a standalone Garmin navigation unit with lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. Much better navigation than you'll have with any Pioneer unit, and the 4400's got an arguably better interface than the Z140 or Z130.

If I can get another factory trim donated for making DIY's with, I'll do a false-face DIY, otherwise there's just the shots of the completed cover to go by.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-17-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM
A few things:
The Z130 has voice control of navigation and iPod. The Z140 doesn't. For this reason, the Z130 is better in my opinion.
Neither unit has particularly great navigation though.

For under $600, you can get the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and a standalone Garmin navigation unit with lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. Much better navigation than you'll have with any Pioneer unit, and the 4400's got an arguably better interface than the Z140 or Z130.

If I can get another factory trim donated for making DIY's with, I'll do a false-face DIY, otherwise there's just the shots of the completed cover to go by.
The GPS isn't going to be used much but I want it for what if situations. I have played around with a Z12OBT and really like it so was going for the updated version.

I'm not a fan of the little GPS modules, I rather keep it all in the HU. I'm replacing a F 900BT.

I'll send you my trim!... If I can get the false face in return

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List