Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, similar to other previous post, I wanted to verify the items I need before I make any unneccesary purchases.

I am getting ready to put in an aftermarket stereo due a jammed cd changer. I will not be doing it myself as I've never done something like this before but I am buying all the necessary things that are required for a shop to do it.

I have a 2004 G35 Coupe with Navigation.
I have purchased the JDM DD kit.

I am purchasing the Pioneer AVHP2400BT.

Do I need to purchase the following for the following reasons? I want to understand what an installer would be doing. I also want to purchase the best items for the job.

1) Metra Axxess ASWC - for steering wheel controls
2) Metra 40-NI10 - for radio antenna adapter. In otherwords to make the radio (AM/FM) work.
3) PAC ROEMNIS2 - for retaining factory amplified sound system

Are all of the above items required to have the ideal installation?

Is a ring required for around the new aftermarket stereo so there is no gap?

I'm also in Canada, does anyone have any recommendations for the cheapest place to get the items required?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue
Hi there, similar to other previous post, I wanted to verify the items I need before I make any unneccesary purchases.

I am getting ready to put in an aftermarket stereo due a jammed cd changer. I will not be doing it myself as I've never done something like this before but I am buying all the necessary things that are required for a shop to do it.

I have a 2004 G35 Coupe with Navigation.
I have purchased the JDM DD kit.

I am purchasing the Pioneer AVHP2400BT.

Do I need to purchase the following for the following reasons? I want to understand what an installer would be doing. I also want to purchase the best items for the job.

1) Metra Axxess ASWC - for steering wheel controls
2) Metra 40-NI10 - for radio antenna adapter. In otherwords to make the radio (AM/FM) work.
3) PAC ROEMNIS2 - for retaining factory amplified sound system

Are all of the above items required to have the ideal installation?

Is a ring required for around the new aftermarket stereo so there is no gap?

I'm also in Canada, does anyone have any recommendations for the cheapest place to get the items required?

Thanks for your help.
Yes, you'll need all those parts. Purchasing them yourself ensures that the shop isn't enhancing the price to line their pockets. Some shops will charge $80-90 for the ASWC and similar for the ROEM-NIS2. None of them are going to charge less than you can pick it up online for.

The photos of the parts that come with the AVH-P2400BT do not show a trim ring at all. This is something that is probably best left to the shop to take care of, as they may already have some excess trim and do it as part of the installation, just make sure they are aware there will be a gap and that they have the parts to do it.

The following users liked this post:
MidnightBlue (09-11-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got it done!!! Thanks a lot for the help I really appreciate it! I had to strip the cables instead of just plugging them (I don't know why) in order to get sound in the car factory speakers. I'm thinking the harness I got was design for cars with the bose system.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by blitzace137
Just wanted to know if anybody knows if I need this as well for my Bose system to keep the OEM sound

http://www.amazon.com/ROEMNIS2-Inter...d_bxgy_e_img_z
See the first post. The ROEM-NIS2 is definitely mentioned in there.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
See the first post. The ROEM-NIS2 is definitely mentioned in there.
got it thanks

Old 09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Reverse signal in wiring harness

Alright I am looking for Reverse signal wire In the driver kick panel (harness referenced in this thread). I see purple/white (this is not it). I see purple twisted with orange (assume this is not either) and then I have other Two purple wires. One has a single grey dot an the other has two grey dots. Is this going to the left and right reverse lights so either will work or am I totally off here. I will try to post a photo from my phone but not sure If m.g35driver.com will allow it

EDIT: Answer
So i pulled off the trim piece in the trunk and saw that the purple with the single white dot was running to the harness that connects to the brake/reverse light. Maybe the purple with the double dot runs to the other side...but i did not check this. I stripped the purple with single dot to confirm it is 12V when in reverse, 0V when not. Problem solved (early 2003 6MT coupe)

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by scott_atm; 09-15-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Adding Answer
The following 2 users liked this post by scott_atm:
Urbanengineer (08-21-2013), Wrathernaut (09-15-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yes, you'll need all those parts. Purchasing them yourself ensures that the shop isn't enhancing the price to line their pockets. Some shops will charge $80-90 for the ASWC and similar for the ROEM-NIS2. None of them are going to charge less than you can pick it up online for.

The photos of the parts that come with the AVH-P2400BT do not show a trim ring at all. This is something that is probably best left to the shop to take care of, as they may already have some excess trim and do it as part of the installation, just make sure they are aware there will be a gap and that they have the parts to do it.
The P2400BT does indeed come with a trim ring. It's too big for the HU though so you'll still need something else if you want a clean fit. I used the Scorthe trim ring and then had to cut the P2400BT's provided ring and glue the bottom piece to the Scorthe ring to fill the gap completely between the radio and the JDM DD trim.

As Wrather said though, if you're paying somebody to install it, it's a pretty moot point since they should be taking care of that for you anyways.

Last edited by RastaManMax; 09-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Wrathernaut (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
My musings after completing the DD install

First off i wanted to share my shopping list with prices. I feel it is helpful to know what other people have paid for the same components.

Radio AVH-P8400BH $493.99 abt
iPod Cable CD-IU201S $55.79 amazon
Antenna Kit 40-NI10 $10.20 amazon
Harness ROEMNIS2 $36.99 amazon
Steering Wheel Ctrl Metra Axxess ASWC $41.79 amazon
Parking Brake ovrd Microbypass $24.01 amazon
Backup Camera VTL420C $48.89 amazon
Dash Kit JDM $323.99 Concept Z

Nothing was difficult on through process but it was time consuming. If you just are dropping in a radio, should be a relatively short process (2-3 hours) but if you plan to install a backup camera, the more than doubles. The issues I ran into were

1) it was a pain to get into the wiring harness with the reverse tap and once there it took me a while to find the correct wire

2) it was a pain to get the backup camera cable through the grommet above the license plate. The issue i had was that the existing cable was too tight for me to untape the grommet from the existing cable. In the end after spending at least 30 minutes trying to stick my hand behind the bumper from under the car to blindly release a cable tie, i decided just to work through the trunk with very little slack in the cable.

3) It took a bit of time to ensure the radio was flush to the front of the dash. And then getting the trim piece (which came with my radio) properly fitted was a bit tedious

4) My car (early 03 6MT coupe) had a few more screws holding in trim pieces than shown in any of the guides. Just a bit of a surprise to read "remove one screw" and then after pulling a bit realizing that there actually are two screws in my car

Other than those minor snags it all went very smoothly. I took the entire day to get my car buttoned back up (nearly 12 hours start to finish....but I had other projects i was doing at the same time). I tested everything before pushing the radio in, but unfortunately hit the switch to mirror my backup camera when cramming all the cables behind the radio. It meant that i had to pull off the side covers for the center console and try to move around wires to get to the switch again. This was at least another hour and a few cuts on my fingers as i was trying to reach behind the radio without pulling the entire thing out again.

My words of advice beyond all the great posts in this thread: Get all the wires and wiring harnesses tucked below the radio not behind it. This will probably take two people but could save you hours of headache.

I am second guessing my choice in radio. I went with the P8400 because it had HD radio, but i also was eyeing the Appradio2. I am waffling now because the screen on the P8400, while reasonable in resolution does not have the finish of the nice smooth capacitive touch screens. It is tough to describe, but it almost is like there is a permanent screen protector (which is the touch sensor). If i had not read so many horrible reviews of the AppRadio2, i would have gone with it to begin with as it is a bit cheaper and comes with ipod cable and external gps antenna. The only thing holding me back is a lack of HD radio.

Pictures will follow

Wrathernaut (09-18-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by scott_atm
First off i wanted to share my shopping list with prices. I feel it is helpful to know what other people have paid for the same components.

Radio AVH-P8400BH $493.99 abt
iPod Cable CD-IU201S $55.79 amazon
Antenna Kit 40-NI10 $10.20 amazon
Harness ROEMNIS2 $36.99 amazon
Steering Wheel Ctrl Metra Axxess ASWC $41.79 amazon
Parking Brake ovrd Microbypass $24.01 amazon
Backup Camera VTL420C $48.89 amazon
Dash Kit JDM $323.99 Concept Z

Nothing was difficult on through process but it was time consuming. If you just are dropping in a radio, should be a relatively short process (2-3 hours) but if you plan to install a backup camera, the more than doubles. The issues I ran into were

1) it was a pain to get into the wiring harness with the reverse tap and once there it took me a while to find the correct wire

2) it was a pain to get the backup camera cable through the grommet above the license plate. The issue i had was that the existing cable was too tight for me to untape the grommet from the existing cable. In the end after spending at least 30 minutes trying to stick my hand behind the bumper from under the car to blindly release a cable tie, i decided just to work through the trunk with very little slack in the cable.

3) It took a bit of time to ensure the radio was flush to the front of the dash. And then getting the trim piece (which came with my radio) properly fitted was a bit tedious

4) My car (early 03 6MT coupe) had a few more screws holding in trim pieces than shown in any of the guides. Just a bit of a surprise to read "remove one screw" and then after pulling a bit realizing that there actually are two screws in my car

Other than those minor snags it all went very smoothly. I took the entire day to get my car buttoned back up (nearly 12 hours start to finish....but I had other projects i was doing at the same time). I tested everything before pushing the radio in, but unfortunately hit the switch to mirror my backup camera when cramming all the cables behind the radio. It meant that i had to pull off the side covers for the center console and try to move around wires to get to the switch again. This was at least another hour and a few cuts on my fingers as i was trying to reach behind the radio without pulling the entire thing out again.

My words of advice beyond all the great posts in this thread: Get all the wires and wiring harnesses tucked below the radio not behind it. This will probably take two people but could save you hours of headache.

I am second guessing my choice in radio. I went with the P8400 because it had HD radio, but i also was eyeing the Appradio2. I am waffling now because the screen on the P8400, while reasonable in resolution does not have the finish of the nice smooth capacitive touch screens. It is tough to describe, but it almost is like there is a permanent screen protector (which is the touch sensor). If i had not read so many horrible reviews of the AppRadio2, i would have gone with it to begin with as it is a bit cheaper and comes with ipod cable and external gps antenna. The only thing holding me back is a lack of HD radio.

Pictures will follow
How is the Metra axxess did it work with the Pioneer 8400bh? I was reading the forums and a few people had problems with the Metra and opted to go with PAC SWI-PS Pioneer and Sony Universal Steering Wheel Radio Interface. I'm deciding on which one to get.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM
How is the Metra axxess did it work with the Pioneer 8400bh? I was reading the forums and a few people had problems with the Metra and opted to go with PAC SWI-PS Pioneer and Sony Universal Steering Wheel Radio Interface. I'm deciding on which one to get.
Here are my thoughts on Axxess and P8400. Install was a piece of cake. Programming was as simple as holding down the volume up button. Vol up/Vol Down/Ch. UP/Ch Dn/Mode all work as expected. The power button does not do anything. I want to reprogram it to a bluetooth phone (I think that is push to talk command). I have not done this yet so i don't know how hard it is because i have not done it yet
Scott

Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 AM
I'm planning on changing the bose amp when I install the 8400 and a friend gave me his amp that he had on his Honda. The SPX Pro Audio Amplifier does anybody know if this amp a better choice then the stock bose amp on the 06 coupe. Sorry for the noob question.

This is the amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPX-Pro-Audi...item27cb07ce37

Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Anything's better than the bose amp, but since that amp only has two channels, you'll only be able to run two speakers off of it.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm planning on changing the bose amp when I install the 8400 and a friend gave me his amp that he had on his Honda. The SPX Pro Audio Amplifier does anybody know if this amp a better choice then the stock bose amp on the 06 coupe. Sorry for the noob question.

This is the amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPX-Pro-Audi...item27cb07ce37
I don't know if you already purchased the 8400, but my experience over the last few weeks has been that in only use it in app mode. I use pandora for music and Waze for navigation. If your use is like mine the appradio2 may be a better choice. It has a higher resolution screen with a better touch technology. There is nothing wrong with the P8400, i just feel the screen is dull due to it's matte finish. Just food for thought as the app radio come with an iphone cable and gps antenna. Either would be an excellent choice (based on how i use it), and since you are running an external amp the 4V pre-amp outs on the P8400 may make it a better unit for you. Just my 0.02.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrathernaut - Can I ground the parking brake wire from the headunit instead of using the parking brake by pass connector to get the full functionality of the HU?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List