Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, there's a 12 pin connector that I don't know what it's for... I've got the following figured out: the axcess aswc and the pac control unit (uses 2 connectors). There's one more that I unplugged from my HU that I can't figure out what it's for.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Cutting and soldering is the best method. Since the steering wheel interface uses the resistance to determine the button that's pressed, any fluctuations of the wire connection quality can make it less responsive.

There's two for the radio, one for the steering wheel controls, and there's also the climate controls.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks! Last question.... the vehicle speed sensor wire that was in the steering wheel control harness on the car.... does it get connected to anything?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So i bought the pioneer avic-d3. bought the metra double din kit for my 04. bought the scosche universal kit. bought the wiring harness. do i need the metra am/fm adapterr you mentioned first? No one seems to talk about it on here

Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by g35sleeper123
So i bought the pioneer avic-d3. bought the metra double din kit for my 04. bought the scosche universal kit. bought the wiring harness. do i need the metra am/fm adapterr you mentioned first? No one seems to talk about it on here
Nobody talks about it because it's on the list of stuff to buy.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by bbaddict33
Thanks! Last question.... the vehicle speed sensor wire that was in the steering wheel control harness on the car.... does it get connected to anything?
If your stereo uses it, it will have a speed sensor wire to connect to the wire from that harness.

Most GPS-enabled headunits do use that wire so they can keep the map moving when you go through a tunnel or otherwise lose GPS signal.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Please excuse my noob post.
I followed the shopping list and justinstalled a Sony double din headunit using the ROEMinterface.
All the connections are correct but I'm getting no sound. Is it right thatthere is a whole connector from the car's harness that isn't used?

The unit powers up but no sound.

Here's the strange thing, I also just checked and it looks like there was no fuse connected to the headunit (but there should be a 10A). Is it possible that the unit powers up with no fuse? Could that be why there is no sound?

Edit: put in a fuse and still no joy. I'm going to solder the wires to the form.

Last edited by devilspace; 06-11-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 AM
registered solely for the purpose of thanking wrathernaut and the rest of the community for this. just finished my install. took longer than I thought, but it wasn't hard, just labor intensive. hardest part was probably stuffing everything back in, especially with the addition of several boxes and cables. zip ties helped a little. radio started wigging out, but it turns out that i needed a new battery--probably drained by the stock Bose system. freaked me out when the system wasn't playing stuff properly.

couple of comments:

my A/C buttons are willow, but the ones that came with the JDM kit are black. instead of trying to take each button out separately, I took a coping saw and cut the whole original willow-colored A/C panel off of my old console. it's fast and fits the new small A/C board perfectly. cut it off with the back facing toward you. there's a natural separator thing that you cut along and can use as a guide. the result is something that's the exact same size as the black one that came with the JDM kit. did the dual climate control button swap, and it was all ready to go.

on removing the stock stereo from the double DIN frame, I almost stripped the screws using my cordless driver. had to use my short stubby handheld screwdriver to get them out, as they were in tight. good thing my cousin was on hand to tell me to first tighten the screws even further to break the "seal" before trying to unscrew them. didn't know that trick before.

there are some things in bythabay's video that aren't clear in the metra instructions:
-shift the car into neutral, so the shifter doesn't get in the way later. that also means don't park on a slope while doing this project.
-even though the guys in the bythabay video disconnect the air bag thing behind the glove box, it's not necessary

thanks again all. the plug idea by Silver Tiburon (and pics by AaronHL) for the Metra Axxess controller was simple but genius.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by devilspace
Please excuse my noob post.
I followed the shopping list and justinstalled a Sony double din headunit using the ROEMinterface.
All the connections are correct but I'm getting no sound. Is it right thatthere is a whole connector from the car's harness that isn't used?

The unit powers up but no sound.

Here's the strange thing, I also just checked and it looks like there was no fuse connected to the headunit (but there should be a 10A). Is it possible that the unit powers up with no fuse? Could that be why there is no sound?

Edit: put in a fuse and still no joy. I'm going to solder the wires to the form.
Is this a used radio? - could be the problem.

Check the amp ground and amp remote power signal wires.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 AM
thanks for your reply. Brand new radio.

Just checked the wires from the headunit to the ROEM, the blue/white amp trigger is fine and the black ground is attached.

Leading out of the ROEM, I'm using the supplied harness into the stock harness and it looks fine.

Argh!!!!

Am I right that there is a spare 6wire plug in the car's harness? Or should this somehow be connected to the headunit?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

That plug is the one with the steering wheel controls and speed signal wire.

Which audio signal wires did you use? Can you post a photo of your wiring harness?
Here's one photo of it correctly connected:

Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Here's the unit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77792158@N03/7175807155/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77792158@N03/7176003785/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77792158@N03/7176041895/
There were four spare wires out of the roem (the low wires). There was also a spare light blue wire from the headunit listed as ATT. Also haven't connected the parking brake wire yet.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Photos of the unit don't help, I need to see where the wires from the OEM meet the wiring harness from the new radio.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi mate

The third photo shows where I've soldered the OEM unit to the XAV72BT supplied wiring harness.
I'll upload another one so it's a little clearer.
Thanks!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Here are some better photos.

You can see where I have soldered the two black ground wires together, the unused light blue ATT wire and the 4 unused wires from the OeM.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77792158@N03/7176427033/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List