Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Having trouble with AMP+Subs installation.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM
_
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Having trouble with AMP+Subs installation.

So i got a stock radio.
I just went to a audio shop to get a base amp channel (Red+White plugs) install plug for my amp.

I got a Nitro 600W amp, and a Q-power Sub.
I installed everything, Power, ground and remote on the amp.
Connected it to the subs and it wasnt banging normal.
The subs were working but it was working in a WEIRD way. It was banging very rough and not smooth like how subs are suppose to hit.
I hooked up the subs into a different car and it works really good.

btw i got the amp and subs for free, and i know Nitro amps sucks.

Anyone know whats the problem is?
If you need pictures upon request i can provide them in the daytime tomorrow.

Update with Picture

Sorry for the long wait, i finally have time for this and so here it is lets down to business and got some pics in as well.

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Swapping polarity of the wires wouldn't make it sound bad. Being a POS amp and sub though. Just because something's free doesn't mean it's better than nothing.

Some more basic info is needed here.

Where are you tapping the audio signal?

What headunit, Bose or non-bose?

What gauge wire?

Where and how did you ground the wire (pics are great with this one)?

WTF is a "base amp channel (Red+White plugs) install plug for my amp"? Just wires that end in an RCA terminal? a LOC? an JBL MS-8?

Knowing none of that basic info, I'd almost just say you've got either a post-bose tap to the ruined-by-bose speaker level input going into a low-level input on the amp, or you're tapping the pre-bose amp signal (a differential-balanced signal) and feeding it to a crappy amp that can't handle that type of signal.
It is a stock Bose audio.

WTF is a "base amp channel (Red+White plugs) install plug for my amp"? Just wires that end in an RCA terminal? a LOC? an JBL MS-8?
I just figured it out. It is a LOC

LINE OUTPUT CONVERTOR. i figured out what that is called

Ground, Power REM, +12V(in order)

and btw my friend had this before and he said it was banging normal how subs should of been.

i try mixing up the subs wires and try to get it work. And also tried to mix up the Red and White wire as well and still had no luck

Last edited by _; 02-15-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll need to tune the amp and look at the recommended wiring ohm for the sub with the amp.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 PM
_
Originally Posted by LegendC32A
You'll need to tune the amp and look at the recommended wiring ohm for the sub with the amp.
Im pretty sure its connected correctly. i can provide a picture of everything wired tomorrow so you guys can spot me for errors.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Double check that the wires aren't crossed. If the subs are working but not sounding correct then it might be as simple as having the wiring mixed up. If you have the negative terminal from the amp going to te positive terminal on the sub, the sub will work but sound "weird" like you described. It's unlikely to be that simple, but sometimes it really is.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check the gauge on the power cable too.... if its too small and the subs require more power, it will sound weird too... happened to me once, so i got a bigger cable

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 AM
_
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
Double check that the wires aren't crossed. If the subs are working but not sounding correct then it might be as simple as having the wiring mixed up. If you have the negative terminal from the amp going to te positive terminal on the sub, the sub will work but sound "weird" like you described. It's unlikely to be that simple, but sometimes it really is.
Alright i should try switching + - for the sub connecting to the amp. I will update tomorrow when i do this tomorrow.

Originally Posted by fstasfk_G
check the gauge on the power cable too.... if its too small and the subs require more power, it will sound weird too... happened to me once, so i got a bigger cable
My power gauge is huge. Had a hard time getting the wire into the car.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 AM
It's most likely your amp settings, make sure you're the switch is on LPF instead of HPF if you have that option.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ask a mod to delete this and start the same thread in the Audio, Video, and Electronics section...im sure they have the answer for your question there

Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by ___
So i got a stock radio.
I just went to a audio shop to get a base amp channel (Red+White plugs) install plug for my amp.

I got a Nitro 600W amp, and a Q-power Sub.
I installed everything, Power, ground and remote on the amp.
Connected it to the subs and it wasnt banging normal.
The subs were working but it was working in a WEIRD way. It was banging very rough and not smooth like how subs are suppose to hit.
I hooked up the subs into a different car and it works really good.

btw i got the amp and subs for free, and i know Nitro amps sucks.

Anyone know whats the problem is?
If you need pictures upon request i can provide them in the daytime tomorrow.
yeah i was gonna say that setup sucks...lol dont put cheap **** in a nice car!!! if youre gonna do a system make it sound clean run 1 or 2 8" jl w6's with a jl amp.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
if its not hooked up correctly it wont work at all...how would it get power to the sub or amp? yeah.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
^^ He's referring to the speaker wire, not the power wire.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
_
Originally Posted by LegendC32A
It's most likely your amp settings, make sure you're the switch is on LPF instead of HPF if you have that option.
yeah its on LPF switch, always.
so i played with the Positive and Negative wires for the sub, its still not sounding right =(.

and yeah these amp is cheap *** **** lol, im planning to switch em out later. But first i just need to get these subs to work so i can play some hard music for now.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
+1 on making sure you dont have wires crossed, make sure that positive and negative aren't switch on one set. Also make sure it has a good connection.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Swapping polarity of the wires wouldn't make it sound bad. Being a POS amp and sub though. Just because something's free doesn't mean it's better than nothing.

Some more basic info is needed here.

Where are you tapping the audio signal?

What gauge wire?

Where and how did you ground the wire (pics are great with this one)?

Knowing none of that basic info, I'd almost just say you've got either a post-bose tap to the ruined-by-bose speaker level input going into a low-level input on the amp, or you're tapping the pre-bose amp signal (a differential-balanced signal) and feeding it to a crappy amp that can't handle that type of signal.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 02-09-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
try another sub or speaker with the amp hooked up the same way

id use atleast 6" or so to get some excursion

if the new "sub" is making the same noise, then its probably your amp settings or the signal to the amp

did you tap into the speakers and use the high level inputs on the amp?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Having trouble with AMP+Subs installation.