Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound deadening the coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound deadening the coupe

Hey fellas, I've been searching without success. How much sound deadener do I need to cover the trunk, rear shelf, doors, and floor? (50, 75, 100ft) I don't plan on covering the roof.

Also, with the Florida heat do I need to worry about it smelling up the car? I learned through searching about butyl deaden-er and it is superior to other materials?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ErikTaylor; 05-09-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I installed "Second Skin" damper and purchased a bulk box from their site. It is really easy to install and I have had no smell. I don't have much to compare it to but it seems to work great. I did not do my floors. Just doors, trunk lid, trunk floor and rear deck. I still had a little bit left over but not enough for the floors.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by dukehotty
I installed "Second Skin" damper and purchased a bulk box from their site. It is really easy to install and I have had no smell. I don't have much to compare it to but it seems to work great. I did not do my floors. Just doors, trunk lid, trunk floor and rear deck. I still had a little bit left over but not enough for the floors.
Thank you sir. If you had to guesstimate how much did you use? How much Sq Ft. was the lot?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikTaylor
Hey fellas, I've been searching without success. How much sound deadener do I need to cover the trunk, rear shelf, doors, and floor? (50, 75, 100ft) I don't plan on covering the roof.

Also, with the Florida heat do I need to worry about it smelling up the car? I learned through searching about butyl deaden-er and it is superior to other materials?

Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by sound deadener? If you're talking vibration dampener, like second skin/damplifier pro/brown bread, or my preferred vibration dampener, CLD tiles from sounddeadenershowdown.com - only about 25% coverage is all you need, so maybe 10 square feet. If you're talking mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam to actually block sound, you're going to need a lot more.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
What do you mean by sound deadener? If you're talking vibration dampener, like second skin/damplifier pro/brown bread, or my preferred vibration dampener, CLD tiles from sounddeadenershowdown.com - only about 25% coverage is all you need, so maybe 10 square feet. If you're talking mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam to actually block sound, you're going to need a lot more.
I was referring to a cheaper alternative to dynamat.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the post BTW

Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't remember how much I got. If you check their site, I purchased Damplifier Pro-Factory second for around $120.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Great. Did you install it yourself or pay somebody? How many hours would it take moving at a moderate speed to do the job I'm looking to do?

Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by ErikTaylor
Great. Did you install it yourself or pay somebody? How many hours would it take moving at a moderate speed to do the job I'm looking to do?
I paid Best Buy to install the damper in my door. I did not want to try and take off my door panels. I did my trunk in less than two hours. Everything just pops off and back on. Very easy! As far as the floors go, I can't help you there.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input duke. I'm gonna try to tackle it myself first. If all else fails ill send it in somewhere.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Deadener

Our panels are not difficult by any means to remove. The most frustrating part is the actual install. If you do it right you will need a rubber or wood roller and I HIGHLY recommend using a heatgun for the most effective means of pressing it into the bends of the car.

I haven't seen this mentioned on here but I just did it to my G and I think it's been helpful/effective. Purchase some of the expanding foam. You can get it at O'Reillys/Lowes etc. On a 2003 G35 Sedan the trunk lid has 2 sheets of metal seperated by about 2 inches or so. I sprayed the foam in the holes filling them about 40% full so the foam could expand. It does an excellent job of reducing vibration and trunk rattle along with Dynamat/FatMat etc applied in strips where possible.

To answer your other question.... FatMat and Dynamat do not smell. I can't speak for the other products. Like Wrath said, you'll need a lot more of FatMat than you will the tiles. For an entire vehicle (doors, floor, trunk) you'll need between 100-150 sq ft if you want to be effective. The G35s have a ton of exposed metal surfaces compared to other cars I've seen. For instance the back rear quarter panels are big, flat and exposed once the carpet is removed.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeantRed
Our panels are not difficult by any means to remove. The most frustrating part is the actual install. If you do it right you will need a rubber or wood roller and I HIGHLY recommend using a heatgun for the most effective means of pressing it into the bends of the car.

I haven't seen this mentioned on here but I just did it to my G and I think it's been helpful/effective. Purchase some of the expanding foam. You can get it at O'Reillys/Lowes etc. On a 2003 G35 Sedan the trunk lid has 2 sheets of metal seperated by about 2 inches or so. I sprayed the foam in the holes filling them about 40% full so the foam could expand. It does an excellent job of reducing vibration and trunk rattle along with Dynamat/FatMat etc applied in strips where possible.

To answer your other question.... FatMat and Dynamat do not smell. I can't speak for the other products. Like Wrath said, you'll need a lot more of FatMat than you will the tiles. For an entire vehicle (doors, floor, trunk) you'll need between 100-150 sq ft if you want to be effective. The G35s have a ton of exposed metal surfaces compared to other cars I've seen. For instance the back rear quarter panels are big, flat and exposed once the carpet is removed.
I used expanding foam inside my rear deck - pretty much any gap in the trunk got filled with it. If others are taking this on, use the stuff for around windows/doors, the minimal expanding that remains flexible. The regular expansion foam that dries hard has no flex after it's dried, so the vibration from normal driving (let alone the subwoofer) can cause it to start to break up. Also, do it SLOWLY, and don't try and fill entire gaps at once. Put masking tape over any holes or gaps it can possibly come out as well. It's nearly impossible to get the foam of of carpet, so remove or cover any in the area as well.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the input. Damn I just ordered 75ft. Haha.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Start small then buy more. No need for extra if you won't use it

Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Too late. Already ordered another $25 feet lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening the coupe