Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Easy V1 hardwire/hardmount Phase II - Scanner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy V1 hardwire/hardmount Phase II - Scanner

A couple weeks back I posted a few pics of how the V1 install turned out, and it went so well I have since added a sibling so the V1 will not get too lonely when I am gone =)

For reference here is the first thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/42079-easy-v1-hardwire-hardmount.html

I've been wanting to install a police scanner for a while, and finally picked one up off ebay for a decent price. I went with the Uniden Bearcat BCT-12 which is a portable unit shaped very much like a radar detector. I wanted to mount it up on the other side of the mirror, very similar to how I did the V1. I had already run a hidden power line all the way up to the mirror for the V1 install, so my plan was to split the line at that point and then run one line to each device. I figured they are both pretty low current receivers so they should be fine running off the single 1amp V1 fuse.

Parts:

1) RJ11 splitter module from Radio Shack ($3.50)
2) hardwire cable with dc adaptor plug (came with scanner)
3) RJ11 endcap and plain old telephone cable (had some laying around)

Since the scanner takes a mini dc adaptor plug, I would need a custom cable that has the RJ11 telephone type connector on one end and the dc adaptor type on the other. This wasn't too hard as you only need to worry about the middle two wires on the RJ11, but it's important to make sure that you get the neg/pos on the correct leads or bad things might happen. I made this one a shorty so there would be less of a wire nest.

Since I was now using the original V1 power cable for the inlet to the splitter, I had to come up with another cable to power the V1. This cable resembles the original V1 cable, except I had to reverse the two inner leads to correctly match up the neg/pos to what the V1 is expecting. I also made this one a shorty.

Here is a pic of the splitter module mounted above the mirror with 3M tape, which also shows the shorty custom cable going out to the scanner on the right:

Here is what it looks like from the back seat. Both units sit right near the bottom of the tint line, with the scanner (on the right) being a little lower because it sticks out a little more and I wanted to retain use of the fold-down mirrors on both sides:

The bracket fabrication process was similar to the V1 bracket, except the aluminum stripping was slightly too thick for the scanner mount, so I had to file it down a bit. Overall I'm happy with the results, and both units seem to be working fine on the single 1amp V1 fuse.

Regarding remote displays, visibility, etc: I have been thinking about trying some sort of tint overlay on each device so anyone in the car can still easily see the readouts but anyone well behind the car will have a difficult time seeing anything. I also plan to get all my windows tinted, so that should provide even more stealth, and eliminate the need for a remote display for either device. You can't really see much of anything from the front so I am hoping the tint should take care of the rest.

Last edited by copbait; 02-05-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:49 AM
you should try using the windshield antenna for the scanner except remove the suction cups and just stick the wire up in the headliner.

The "Stubby" antenna for the scanner really really sucks.

My setup was similar to yours.. very clean. I really wanted to have both the V1 and the Scanner just above the mirror. It wouldn't fit so I ended up putting my laser jammer display up there.

I used the stock bracket though which sucks on the scanner. What did you use to fabricate your bracket for your scanner?

Ive taken apart my BCT-12 to try to make the display remote and the controls under the console or to the left under the trunk controls.

Clean install overall though. Lookin good.

Last edited by variance; 02-06-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I started with a piece of aluminum stripping, cut and filed to size and bent into the shape of a V (simple angle bracket) and slipped into the slot of the visor mount then attached with 3M tape. It's very similar to how I mounted the V1 (closeup pic in the first thread I linked to).

This is my first scanner, and so far the stubby seems to be working pretty well. I consistently pick up traffic and after tweeking the squelch I rarely get static. I will probably install the extened antenna though, it is indeed supposed to be better for reception and would be even more stealth =)

Old 02-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Here is a closeup of the V1 bracket:

Here is a closeup of the Scanner bracket:

Old 02-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by variance
you should try using the windshield antenna for the scanner except remove the suction cups and just stick the wire up in the headliner.

The "Stubby" antenna for the scanner really really sucks.
After driving around with the stubby antenna, I realized you were right on the money here, it sucks hard

Install of the wire antenna was a breeze, and it's works so much better. I can actually crank the squelch without picking up all the garbage. Definitely the way to go!

Old 02-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Installed a kill switch in the accessory panel next to the hood release. Really comes in handy for controlling several components at once, like when I'm pulling into a parking lot next to a drug store and both the radar and scanner are going bonkers

Old 02-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Thats a pretty cool install!!! What exactly does the Uniden Bearcat BCT-12 do?

Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by IllusiveG35C
Thats a pretty cool install!!! What exactly does the Uniden Bearcat BCT-12 do?
It's marketed as a "weather alert system" but it's really known for it's ability to pick up police communications, both local police and highway patrol. It's definitely entertaining and a good alternative to music sometimes

Old 02-21-2005, 02:53 AM
thas a clean install man, i was gonna get the bct-12, but decided on a handheld so i can take it other places, got the pro 95 from radio shack, great scanner with dual trunking, anyways, enjoy, they really r a fun alternative to the stereo/

Old 02-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
You know I purchased a handheld once and couldnt get it on the right channel to save my life so I returned it

Old 02-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by IllusiveG35C
You know I purchased a handheld once and couldnt get it on the right channel to save my life so I returned it
Not sure about the others, but the BCT-12 (aka Bearcat) scans all available channels and auto-switches to those that are receiving transmissions. You can "hold" on a particular channel if you want, or just let it continue to find chatter on it's own. Pretty cool

Old 03-02-2005, 02:50 AM
That's awesome! I'm really intrigued with the scanner in the car. I've never listened to one...what kind of things do you hear? Is it a method of detecting traffic cops and possibly avoiding a ticket?

Old 03-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by jadaway2
That's awesome! I'm really intrigued with the scanner in the car. I've never listened to one...what kind of things do you hear? Is it a method of detecting traffic cops and possibly avoiding a ticket?
Yes you can use the scanner as a way to detect cops especially highway patrol when on the freeway. I don't think I would rely on it soley though, it's much better when used in conjunction with a quality radar/laser detector.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with the BCT-12 is that it does not receive digital transmissions...Many police and emergency services have switched to Motorola, EDACS etc digital systems.. I bough one and didn’t get anything.(Only because all Police in Ontario are on Digital) but..in some areas where there is no digital you can definitely receive.

You can buy Digital handhelds...You can get most police/emergency transmissions. However some police etc block their transmissions so the only way to recieve them is with one of their own radios..

Now the coolest thing you could ever have in your car would be a fully programmed police radio..Damn!

Old 03-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by BlackM6C
The problem with the BCT-12 is that it does not receive digital transmissions...Many police and emergency services have switched to Motorola, EDACS etc digital systems.. I bough one and didn’t get anything.(Only because all Police in Ontario are on Digital) but..in some areas where there is no digital you can definitely receive.

You can buy Digital handhelds...You can get most police/emergency transmissions. However some police etc block their transmissions so the only way to recieve them is with one of their own radios..

Now the coolest thing you could ever have in your car would be a fully programmed police radio..Damn!
In part you are right, as I think around here the highway patrol does digitally scramble a good deal of their communication, because I usually only get notification beeps warning of their presence. I do pickup some CHP chatter but not much.

I do however pick up a LOT of local traffic. I rarely have ten full seconds of radio silence, there's always a nearby local station taking reports from patrol cars or giving out suspect/crime descriptions or something interesting.

I don't much care about the highway patrol chatter anyways other than being notified of their presence, usually they have a pretty boring job.

Last edited by copbait; 03-04-2005 at 07:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy V1 hardwire/hardmount Phase II - Scanner