Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Motor Trouble

Originally Posted by csguy0
I'd like to warn everyone to be very careful when taking the motor apart. I had both of mine apart for a cleaning and tune up and I ended up shattering the very very delicate pieces of soft metal that make contact with the motor (brushes). Just be very careful that the gear on the shaft comes out nice and straight and doesn't touch the sides when removing or replacing it. Now I have a $150 bill for a new window motor because of my stupid mistake!
I felt the need to reiterate what csguy said. My ever-impulsive wife slammed my pass side door shut the other night during an argument and afterwards I realized the window would not respond to either control switch, but it still made its up/down adjustment when opening/closing the door. Neither the driver or pass side switches worked so I though it was maybe a loose connection of the motor had broken from the impact of the slamming. After I had the motor out and had remove the cap, the core wouldn't come out, even if I turned it. So I did what any frustrated guy would do and just muscled it out. It popped out with a good deal of force and damaged the brushes on the way. After cleaning the core would not seat in the 1/4" deep cup at the bottom of the black plastic motor housing. I think either the cup was off center or the core was slightly bent, neither of which sound like possible issues. Either way, I had to set the top of the core against my pavement with a cloth to protect it then give the motor housing a few knocks with a rubber mallet before the core popped back into the cup. Put the motor back in and tested, no good. I gave up for the night and reassembled my door in the dark. Looking for a new motor now, maybe a new woman.

By the way, I've got a 2004 G35 coupe service manual on FTP if anyone wants a copy. It has really detailed information on troubleshooting power window problems with a multimeter. Tonight I'll test my Body Control Module (BCM) to make sure it's not causing any issues.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My passenger side window would not roll up a few days ago after playing with the button for about 2 minutes I was able to get it going again.

Today while on lunch my driver side window would not roll up again...WTF!! I tried and tried but got nothing. After 5 more minutes of driving I hit the button and it came up like nothing happened.

I checked with Austin Infiniti and they said the cost is $316 each Then I went to Nissan and they said it was $263 each... They both gave me the same part numbers:

driver side 80731-CD00A
passenger side 80730-CD00A

I looked these up and got all kinds of prices from $82 to $200 each...

I've noticed that my driver's side window has been having a hard time rolling up the window lately, but now it seems like both window motors are going bad. My car is an 05 model with about 44,000 miles on it, is it common for the motors to go bad this early?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pollock21
I'm having a problem with my driver's side window, but it seems a little different than most I've read on here.

The other day I hit auto down on my ds window. Then I heard a crazy noise. It was def. the window motor, sort of a rrrrrrr pause rrrrrrrrr pause, and repeated about 5 or 6 times until the window went all the way down. Initially I was like, ****, my motor just went out. But it actually rolled right back up with the power switch.

I didn't think much of it until I tried to roll it down again, and nothing happens. It doesn't even roll down the tiny bit it normally does when you open the door. I've also tried the auto down with my remote to see if it would roll down, but no dice. It's basically like my driver's side is completely dead.

I was hoping to find someone with a similar issue. I haven't noticed the motor lagging or slowing down at all. This was very sudden. I'm trying to troubleshoot what the issue could be. At this point, I don't think it's in my door switch, so it's either a power supply issue to the motor, or the motor itself.

Also, is there a dedicated fuse for the motors? I suppose that's the first place I should start.

Thanks for the feedback ahead of time.
I'm having almost the same exact issue on my drivers side door except I actually replaced my window motor not to long ago. I don't know if I'm just unlucky and the new one went out or what but either way it doesn't explain why my drivers side door just seems to go dead for no reason. My window won't work and the door won't unlock unless I use the key. Then a few hours later I'll hit the key FOB and the power door locks work like nothing was ever wrong. It's very frustrating!

btw...I have an 03 G35c

Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
I have the same issue now as well with my drivers side window and door locks...randomly will work and randomly wont...depending on the weather outside..if its really hott it will most of the time not work...if its in shade and cool my window will work

Old 08-21-2009, 05:11 AM
Firstly Thanks mt7rabbit for telling me about this awesome thread.

Second, thanks g35man04 for writing this awesome write-up!! way-to-go! I am glad I see this thread before bringing my car to the dealer.

One question, when I first bought the car, I remember the saleman told me that the windows have safety measure, whenever it hit something during rolling-up, it will automatically roll-down, but I have been trying to put my arm blocking the window from rolling-up, it doesn't stop and roll back down, it keep rolling up and I had to remove my arm from it before the window chop off my arm..

hmm.. so, was the saleman lying to me?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by ILuvMyG35
Firstly Thanks mt7rabbit for telling me about this awesome thread.

Second, thanks g35man04 for writing this awesome write-up!! way-to-go! I am glad I see this thread before bringing my car to the dealer.

One question, when I first bought the car, I remember the saleman told me that the windows have safety measure, whenever it hit something during rolling-up, it will automatically roll-down, but I have been trying to put my arm blocking the window from rolling-up, it doesn't stop and roll back down, it keep rolling up and I had to remove my arm from it before the window chop off my arm..

hmm.. so, was the saleman lying to me?
Sounds bogus to me. There are no mechanisms on the windows motor for this to be possible (touch sensor, etc) I think It uses an LVDT and an over-amp protection feature. It would stop if you put something hard enough in there the motor would keep going until the amperes of the motor went beyond the threshold. In that case it would stop or it may roll back down.

I don't think it would stop for your arm without causing some discomfort.. maybe even some brusing!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Dan
Originally Posted by csguy0
Sounds bogus to me. There are no mechanisms on the windows motor for this to be possible (touch sensor, etc) I think It uses an LVDT and an over-amp protection feature. It would stop if you put something hard enough in there the motor would keep going until the amperes of the motor went beyond the threshold. In that case it would stop or it may roll back down.

I don't think it would stop for your arm without causing some discomfort.. maybe even some brusing!
My passenger side window motor went out and I replaced it. The window can now roll up and down, but when i try to roll it up using the one touch, it rolls up all the way, then rolls back down halfway, as if something was in the way. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by lLord lDan
My passenger side window motor went out and I replaced it. The window can now roll up and down, but when i try to roll it up using the one touch, it rolls up all the way, then rolls back down halfway, as if something was in the way. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Yes, read at the bottom of page 10 in this thread. You have to do a reset. Detailed instructions are there, and it'll only take 5 minutes tops.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Dan
AHH. Thanks a lot! That worked out perfectly. You just saved me a lot of time and stress! I love having working windows again!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep - just did this on the Z (exact same procedure) and I replaced my motor with a refurb for a bill. Great deal and now my window rolls up and down like no ones business.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 PM
I plan to tackle this job next week. Read the entire thread and lots of great info, guys! Especially, G35man04, thanks for the excellent guide and pictures.

Info on cleaning and lubing seems a bit scarce. I plan to use CRC Quick Drying contact cleaner and just a very light film of 3 IN One 'motor oil'. Not regular 3 in One oil!!!

This one:
http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

I believe both that and the CRC are not flammable.

While I have the panels off, should I lube any other points recommended with lithium grease? Like for the door latch mechanism or window regulator? Just curious...maybe I should upgrade the door speaker too... LOL

Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fortified
While I have the panels off, should I lube any other points recommended with lithium grease? Like for the door latch mechanism or window regulator? Just curious...maybe I should upgrade the door speaker too... LOL
Check this thread out: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-exorcism.html

You can put some felt tape on the hinges of the plastic door panel while you have it off.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Check this thread out: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-exorcism.html

You can put some felt tape on the hinges of the plastic door panel while you have it off.
Is that just for the sedan? My coupe has been relatively rattle free. Or can I expect some new ones after replacing the panel. Of course, if there are to be any new ones, it will be after I re-install the panel.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if it's rattle free then I guess no need for it... Taking the panels on and off shouldn't change anything unless the plastic is deformed or clips are broken somehow.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Well if it's rattle free then I guess no need for it... Taking the panels on and off shouldn't change anything unless the plastic is deformed or clips are broken somehow.
Makes sense, thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal