Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So I tried this DIY with my driver's side window motor, it made it easy to take everything apart without the guesswork. However even after cleaning my window motor it simply did not have enough torque to move the window up and it would constantly get stuck. After playing around with it for 4 hours I gave up on it and bought a refurbished unit from O'Reilly. I put in the new motor and it works like a champ now, my driver's side window moves even faster than my passenger window now, I'm thinking I might have to replace the other motor soon. The cost of the new motor was $136 with the exchange of the old motor.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so I've been reading this DIY for the past 20 min and didn't quite see anybody with the same problem as me. I have a 03 g35 coupe and its got 80xxx on it. When I bought it from the dealer they said the replaced the regulator.

My problem: whenever I open my drivers door the window doesn't go down like it's suppose to (about half an inch) but if you push on it, it will go down.

Should I just try the reset or clean it AND reset it?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ I'd bring it back to them if you bought any type of extended warranty.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
^^^ I'd bring it back to them if you bought any type of extended warranty.
Definitely, if your car is still under warranty. From all the articles I've read, even replacements (new or rebuilds) go bad after a while.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:28 PM
well it wasn't in writing, they just told me that when i bought the car ....the motors are strong and don't seem like they are dying its just when i open the door it doesnt go down like its suppose to.

i just got the windows tinted so im gonna wait a few days to try the reset because if they did replace it i wonder if they forgot to reset it and that could just be the problem

Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree, try the reset first. The motors can seem strong right up to where they don't work.
If it works part of the time, they probably are due a cleaning.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I went to two autozones and they said they no longer carry the motor. Where else can I purchase it?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by herika
I went to two autozones and they said they no longer carry the motor. Where else can I purchase it?
I've seen these online:

I believe they all carry the same motors (A1 Cardone), of course the warranty may vary with the retailer.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...t=Window+Motor

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/index...38+10513&Nty=1

There are several others if you do search. I can't tell you the best store to go with. Maybe someone can.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I just cleaned the right side motor and it works great! I upgraded my speakers while I was at it so took a little longer.
Only suggestion, take your time. It is not that hard and cleaning up the motor is very easy. Just make sure to have everything aligned properly before sealing up the inside panel.
I almost forgot to snap the inside cable clip back in... good thing I noticed when I only had replaced two bolts.
Tomorrow the left side. I did not have to adjust the window reset for when you open and close the window.

UPDATE: Driver's side is still flaky..but does work better. I see a replacement motor in the near future. Passenger's side still works like new!

Last edited by fortified; 10-08-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 PM
This was so easy. For what it costs, I recomend just replacing the motor instead of cleaning the old one. Couldn't have done it without this. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by timothyb
This was so easy. For what it costs, I recomend just replacing the motor instead of cleaning the old one. Couldn't have done it without this. Thanks.
I agree, the symptoms of a motor going bad are well known by now. It is hard to say how much more life a cleaning will give it. It is a temporary solution that works though, unless the motor is really shot.
I think the bigger question is if a new motor will last any longer than a reman.
I picked up a reman for my driver's side from Partstrain for a $100 after core xchange. About the lowest price I've seen yet. If you go there add it your cart, then remove it. As you start to leave the website (keep backing up one page at a time) you may be lucky like me a get a $5 coupon pop up.
They honor the Cardone warranty of 1 year or 18,000 miles.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-...-be-fixed.html

the motors can be fixed.

cleaning them won't be enough. The problem is the brushes wear down so small that the spring doesn't provide pressure on the brush in turn onto the armature. You can clean all you want but the brushes aren't making contact with the armature. I guess cleaning would help with new motors that aren't working that great, but old motors are just done. The brushes need replaced like i did in my thread.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM
this is a freagin awesome thread. wish i would have known about it before i did my own. would have saved me a lot of guess work... and possibly some cash. i love this forum.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
hey is it possible to attach the door handle to the stripped door? so you can open the door from the inside

Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superbee8
hey is it possible to attach the door handle to the stripped door? so you can open the door from the inside
just pull on the cable with the little ball on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal