please help! just installed the Goodridge SS Brake Lines!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation please help! just installed the Goodridge SS Brake Lines!

ok so this thing is supposed to make your brake respond sooo much better. purchased, installed, bled and all that crap(which im pretty sure we did properly). after installation, i notice now that when i step on the brake pedal i have to step "further/deeper" on the pedal to stop... i mean, it does a complete stop, but if the basis for responsiveness is a light tap on the brake pedal, then this product has clearly failed. i ruled out the i dea of leaks coz the car does stop, and i make no brake fluid puddles. any ideas? bled by pumping 10 times, holding the 10th one and loosening up the nipple on the caliper for abt 2 seconds then closing it back up. did this process 3 times per wheel. any one else experiencing the same thing?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:33 PM
re-bleed.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Learn how to bleed your brakes or take it to a shop and have it done.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
its got to be air in the lines, ss lines should perform the same or better than stock.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also suggest re-bleeding the system. What happens if you continually press the pedal while the car is off?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've read you have to re-bleed a few times.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure when bleeding start from the wheel futhest from the master cyclinder which would be the passenger rear wheel. Then work your way around unitl you get to the driver front wheel. I also recommend going with synthetic brake fluid as it has a higher boil temp then regular brake fluid.

Also make sure that your lines going to the front wheels are not pinched or stressed by locking the wheels to the left and right and inspecting the lines on both sides.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have Brembos? You've got two bleeders per caliper.

The issue is not the lines. Try rebleeding again. If that isn't successful take it to the stealer or another trusted shop.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Thumbs up

i went to a shop and found out how much of my arms and legs they were gonna chop off to do it so rerererere-bleeding it myself would be my best bet i started from the rear seat on the driver's side and i did make my way around ending at the driver's.

Originally Posted by delion21
Also make sure that your lines going to the front wheels are not pinched or stressed by locking the wheels to the left and right and inspecting the lines on both sides.
on the back of the caliper in the front, there is a "slot" that fit the new brake line perfectly... i assumed thats what it was for to make it look like how the old lines were positioned... can anyone confirm this?

when i continually press on the brakes when parked it does get stiff, but give it 5 mins and it gets soft again. i even tried just bleeding the hell out of it from one side coz it was just frustrating. dont have brembos btw. for those of you who got it in one try, hats off to you. thanks for the replies guys.

*UPDATE*

55 an hour and watever else they use on the car. they did provide me with some info that myt just do it. apparently some of the newer cars must have the ignition on for it to bleed correctly? anyone hear abt this one?

Last edited by eldgebroni; 06-12-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
retorque all the connections, you may have a air leak somewhere

Old 06-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Just for my own knowledge, how much were you quoted to bleed brakes???

Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 PM
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by eldgebroni
ok so this thing is supposed to make your brake respond sooo much better. purchased, installed, bled and all that crap(which im pretty sure we did properly). after installation, i notice now that when i step on the brake pedal i have to step "further/deeper" on the pedal to stop... i mean, it does a complete stop, but if the basis for responsiveness is a light tap on the brake pedal, then this product has clearly failed. i ruled out the i dea of leaks coz the car does stop, and i make no brake fluid puddles. any ideas? bled by pumping 10 times, holding the 10th one and loosening up the nipple on the caliper for abt 2 seconds then closing it back up. did this process 3 times per wheel. any one else experiencing the same thing?
Was that really how you bled the brakes???

That isn't the correct bleeding procedure. You have got youself a lot of air in the system right now. Essentially you haven't even begun to bleed anything out of your system doing what you did. It's no wonder you have a spongy pedal. I would have them properly bled out ASAP.

The correct procedure w.o. a power or vacuum bleeder calls for two persons.

One does the pumping, while the other work the valve (minimizing fluid reversion that may consume air). You will also need a silicon bleeder hose, a container to bleed into, and generous amount of brake fluid.

PM if you need detailed brake bleeding procedures or simply do a search ... surely there's a detailed DIY somehwere.