G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Well, my driver's side rod is taking a crap *AGAIN*. Had it replaced under warranty and it lasted all of 40K miles before starting to clunk again.

So looks like i'll be changing that bushing out soon.

Was gonna order the new SPL bushings, but reviews from members stated they started to make noise too after some period of time or caused the balljoint part to start to fail (which isn't replacable). I haven't read much on the new energy suspension bushings yet, nor do i know their cost.

The OEM bushings are ~ $20+ S/H and i have my own press, so i might just go that option and do both sides for about $50.

I should have done them when changing both front wheel bearings, but at least I know i can get them off relatively quickly.
PM me for a set of Energy Suspension comp. rod bushings. They are the best available solution.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually originated this thread in July of 2007 and now need some advice. I have 3 months left on my extended Elite Infiniti warranty and want to try to quiet down the creaking from the front end. Besides the creaking going over speed bumps, I can hear slight creaking/crackling noises coming from the front end while driving very slowly even on smooth services. There is no clunking or any other issues. My ball joint was replaced a few months ago due to a torn boot. Are all the compression rods defective on our cars and how many are there all together? My 2004 Coupe has 48,000 miles. Thanks all.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the dealership replace the first one (driver's side) at about 90,000 mi. I did the passenger's side myself at about 120,000.

Note: after continuing to have clunks after replacing just the bushings and knuckle ball joint, I bit the bullet and purchased a compression arm. Problem solved. I am intent on dissecting out the faulty ball joint from the old compression arm to see if I can get a commercial match anywhere (just for education, as I've replaced the compression arm)...It really bugs my that this ball joint is not a separate replacement part. When/if I get an answer, I'll post on it.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM
G35 RWD AUTO
Originally Posted by vinco
PM me for a set of Energy Suspension comp. rod bushings. They are the best available solution.
PM sent

Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I am planning on bringing my car in to Infiniti before the Elite warranty runs out in May. I originated this thread and now I want to change the extremely noisey compression rods under warranty. How many compression rods are there for the 04 Coupe all together? I want every one changed. Anyone know? Thanks all.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by [U
[/U]bocatrip;6354132]I am planning on bringing my car in to Infiniti before the Elite warranty runs out in May. I originated this thread and now I want to change the extremely noisey compression rods under warranty. How many compression rods are there for the 04 Coupe all together? I want every one changed. Anyone know? Thanks all.
So you're the op, have known of problem for 4.5 years, undoubtedly have read some of the 400+ posts ans presumably took your (or gf) car to dealer when you started the thread - and you don't know how many compression rods there are?

*whisper - there's 2

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM
G35 RWD AUTO
Originally Posted by bocatrip
I am planning on bringing my car in to Infiniti before the Elite warranty runs out in May. I originated this thread and now I want to change the extremely noisey compression rods under warranty. How many compression rods are there for the 04 Coupe all together? I want every one changed. Anyone know? Thanks all.
Are you completely sure about the compression rods?
The answer to your question is: 2

Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
So you're the op, have known of problem for 4.5 years, undoubtedly have read some of the 400+ posts ans presumably took your (or gf) car to dealer when you started the thread - and you don't know how many compression rods there are?

*whisper - there's 2
The condition has really gotten unbearable in the last 6 months, and yes for almost 8,5 years of ownership, I got by with it. Now that I know how expensive it is ,I'm planning on taking adavantage of the elite warranty. I had a ball joint replaced a few months back (the entire spindle was changed), and that seemed to quiet some of the noise down but our cars have plenty of groans up front. Thanks for the info. By the way.......this elite warranty has paid for itself many times over. I still have a speaker and a cd player that is getting replaced.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to check the condition of the aft compression rod bushings with car on the ground? How can you tell if they are torn or split or need to be replaced? Does car need to be up on lift and no weight on the rod to inspect or measure for play? I am not getting any thunking or noises but the alignment caster seems off. Car steering is less firm and bumps are more noticable. What is the job of the compression rod? Does the bushing or ball joint at the other end of the rod (near wheel) tend to fail?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
After taking my car to Infiniti for the front creaking, they replaced the transverse link which quieted the front down some, but I still have the same annoying creaking going over speed bumps. They did replace my CD player as well which was nice. I am planning on taking my car to my local trusted mechanic to locate the culprit for the noise. Once found, I will march back to Infiniti to have them replace the appropriate part.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried these whiteline brand compression rod bushings
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...sans_vehicle=1

Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, im driving an 04 coupe, 120,000 KM

I bought it 6 months ago and it was fine for about 2 months, then I started to get a bit of a sqeaking sound, now im getting a clunk from the driver side and the squeak is also still there.

Ive been reading quite a bit about the bushing issue, so i decided to have a look underneath today. Im going to post a picture of one of the compression rod bushings, it is torn but not all the way through from what i can see, the other one looks to be fine. Let me know what you think, thanks!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rent=photo.jpg

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Coomber
Hey guys, im driving an 04 coupe, 120,000 KM

I bought it 6 months ago and it was fine for about 2 months, then I started to get a bit of a sqeaking sound, now im getting a clunk from the driver side and the squeak is also still there.

Ive been reading quite a bit about the bushing issue, so i decided to have a look underneath today. Im going to post a picture of one of the compression rod bushings, it is torn but not all the way through from what i can see, the other one looks to be fine. Let me know what you think, thanks!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rent=photo.jpg

Definitely time for some new bushings lol. Do some research on those before buying though.

The following users liked this post:
Coomber (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by prinny
Definitely time for some new bushings lol. Do some research on those before buying though.
So you think that would be causing my clunking noise?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05X with 84000 miles. started to get the creaking nosie. i hear it the worse when parallel parking. when i go into reverse and turn it sounds the worse. at low speeds turning or over bumps i hear a little creaking.

I actually got good prices from a buddy on OEM parts. I replaced everything in picture and Still have the creaking noise.

[IMG][/IMG]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap