G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Customer Service Regarding Bushings

I'm posting this as a public service. Maybe somebody tried this already and got burned like me.

Knew my compression rod bushings were bad. Asked Infiniti if there's any assistance for this common problem. They told me to get it checked with Infiniti and they would see how they could help. I spent 70 bucks and a couple of hours to confirm what I knew. They came back and said sorry...they don't provide special assistance for bad compression rod bushings.

Honest feedback please...is there any logic of having me come in when they knew beforehand that they wouldn't provide special assistance? Customer service strongly suggest this is for the customer's best interest.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by sirjaime
Honest feedback please...is there any logic of having me come in when they knew beforehand that they wouldn't provide special assistance? Customer service strongly suggest this is for the customer's best interest.
Unless your vehicle qualifies for a recall, which the dealer would have already known, there wouldn't be any special assistance.

It's not uncommon for dealerships and auto-stores to charge a flat rate every time you drop down your car to inquire a problem.

My car was under full warranty and I brought it in for some warranty work. I inquired something that I thought was related to the warranted work. As I was about to pick up my car, I was shown a bill for $80 labor charge for them to look after what I thought was covered the warranty. No repair was needed, I only asked a question.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by tyau
Unless your vehicle qualifies for a recall, which the dealer would have already known, there wouldn't be any special assistance.

It's not uncommon for dealerships and auto-stores to charge a flat rate every time you drop down your car to inquire a problem.

My car was under full warranty and I brought it in for some warranty work. I inquired something that I thought was related to the warranted work. As I was about to pick up my car, I was shown a bill for $80 labor charge for them to look after what I thought was covered the warranty. No repair was needed, I only asked a question.
Agree with you. My beef is not with the dealership, but with the corporate customer service. I called the national number to ask precisely if there is any special assistance for faulty compression rod bushings. They told me to take it to a dealership to confirm the problem; then they could determine what assistance could be provided. They knew all along that the answer is no, for reasons you cited. But I had to drop off my car and pay a fee to find this out. (Too bad I didn't find this board earlier).

IMHO, this is dishonest--merely a bait to use their services. But this is the corporate policy (not exaggerating) and the call center supervisor confirmed it. They insist it's in the customer's best interest to do it this way. Am I missing something?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 PM
I just bought the WHITELINE front bushing kit (Shock to Control Arm Outer and Lower Control Arm Inner). Any shops in Miami/Ft Lauderdale where I can take my G. to replace them?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I probably had a cracked compression rod bushing for about 8k miles now. Is it necessary to replace these if I have no problem with the creaking noise?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
As i read before, if the compression rods are done for it effects the alignment as well.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 PM
pffttt i bought new bushings and made spacers so the arm couldnt slide foward or back even if it wanted to has worked on both my 4 door and 2 door g

Yes the arm still moves up and down like normal as well

Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Energy Suspension bushings are by far the best solution.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 AM
I have a 2007 6MT Coupe

So I've head this clunking noise only when going over small bumps. It sounds 'shallow' and isn't 'heavy' or anything. There's no creaking or anything else when turning or going fast. I definitely hear it mostly when I'm not on the highway and over small speed bumps.

I brought the car in to Infiniti in Ottawa and they diagnosed it right away - without even looking at it - as having bad compression rods and that I should change them. I passed on the offer and went to see a local mechanic. He tried prying away at the sway bar links and various bushings... it all appears to be solid. Nothing was budging.

In any case, since parts are 300% more at the dealership I started buying some parts which might be the culprit. I figure even if they aren't bad now, some of these might need changing in the near future. So far I have the following ( for the front only ):

1. Whiteline upper/lower inner/outer bushings
2. sway bar links
3. Compression Rod Bushings
4. Lower ball joint set

Could it be anything else ? Like the ball joint on the compression rod ? Is that replaceable ?

Can tie rods be causing this noise ? Should I get those too ?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Well, my driver's side rod is taking a crap *AGAIN*. Had it replaced under warranty and it lasted all of 40K miles before starting to clunk again.

So looks like i'll be changing that bushing out soon.

Was gonna order the new SPL bushings, but reviews from members stated they started to make noise too after some period of time or caused the balljoint part to start to fail (which isn't replacable). I haven't read much on the new energy suspension bushings yet, nor do i know their cost.

The OEM bushings are ~ $20+ S/H and i have my own press, so i might just go that option and do both sides for about $50.

I should have done them when changing both front wheel bearings, but at least I know i can get them off relatively quickly.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
yes, the ball joint on the compression rod could be bad, and your mechanic cannot fell it if car on lift.
if the ball joint is bad, you have to replace the whole rod. go to ebay to find a good deal, don't waste your time on bushing.

Originally Posted by rmeman
I have a 2007 6MT Coupe

So I've head this clunking noise only when going over small bumps. It sounds 'shallow' and isn't 'heavy' or anything. There's no creaking or anything else when turning or going fast. I definitely hear it mostly when I'm not on the highway and over small speed bumps.

I brought the car in to Infiniti in Ottawa and they diagnosed it right away - without even looking at it - as having bad compression rods and that I should change them. I passed on the offer and went to see a local mechanic. He tried prying away at the sway bar links and various bushings... it all appears to be solid. Nothing was budging.

In any case, since parts are 300% more at the dealership I started buying some parts which might be the culprit. I figure even if they aren't bad now, some of these might need changing in the near future. So far I have the following ( for the front only ):

2. sway bar links
4. Lower ball joint set

Could it be anything else ? Like the ball joint on the compression rod ? Is that replaceable ?

Can tie rods be causing this noise ? Should I get those too ?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by mbian
yes, the ball joint on the compression rod could be bad, and your mechanic cannot fell it if car on lift.
if the ball joint is bad, you have to replace the whole rod. go to ebay to find a good deal, don't waste your time on bushing.
any way to test if the ball joint is bad besides taking the whole compression rod off ?

is there a specific sound a bad ball joint might make that a bad bushing might not ?

how likely are ball joints to break down compared to bushings ?

edit: this is an 07 6MT with 60k miles

Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
any way to test if the ball joint is bad besides taking the whole compression rod off ?

is there a specific sound a bad ball joint might make that a bad bushing might not ?

The FSm doesn't give much info on it unfortunately

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda..._Sedan/fsu.pdf

Mostly you are just looking for play in the bushing.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
it's very hard to test. considering Ottawa road condition, it's very likely.
one large pot-hole can kill your compression rod.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2007 6MT Coupe

2. sway bar links
4. Lower ball joint set
For the love of all things holy don't waste your money buying factory compression rod bushings again. That's the same exact crappy part that just failed on you at probably 30K miles, more or less. I have a MUCH better solution for you for less money than the factory bushings. PM me and send those things back!!!

Edit - I just realized you live in Ottawa. Shipping parts to Canada is CRAZY expensive unless the postal strike is over - like $40 shipping for a set of Energy Suspension Compression Rod Bushings. That's what it cost to ship the last set I shipped there... But it looks like the stealership wanted like $25 each to ship the stock comp. rod bushings, so if you've already bought them, then you won't get the shipping back. If you can pick them up at a US address, then shipping is WAY less.

Last edited by vinco; 08-14-2011 at 02:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap