G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen the sway bar end links make a clunking noise, I have also seen the crossmember nuts become slightly loose as well causing a clunk. the sway bar end links sound kind of muffled, and usually the crossmember sounds like you are hitting a metal workbench w/ a big hammer. I would say your problem is most likely the end links though. If the noise is only on one side-try switching the end links from one side to the other...lemme know

Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I changed the end links on all four corners (as posted initially) - I checked them out again to make sure they were tight and little to no play - and they are fine.

Still not sure what to do.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 PM
sorry i missed the part about the end links... the only other thing i've seen make a clunk from the front suspension is the engine cradle nuts settling and becoming slightly loose, same thing with the knuckle side of the compression rod. if you lift the car you might not notice either when the suspension is sagging. try hitting all of those nuts with an impact gun to make sure they are good and tight. other than that you may need to hook up a chassis ear around the suspension to pinpoint the noise for sure. that tool is kind of expensive but most dealerships have them if you are willing to pay for the time they spend on it. good luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Success! I changed my passenger side compression rod and my G drives like a dream again. No clunk no sounds at all. I guess I sped up the inevitable by hitting a couple speed bumps too fast.

For the record, changing this was an absolute nightmare. The bushing which can be purchased separately had completely fused with the bolt coming out of the frame. Wish I had taken some pics. I had to cut the sleeve the entire way up before it would even budge.

Figured I could change this in a couple hours, turned into a 3 day ordeal. Maybe you will have better luck and I'm sure snow and salt didn't help the matter. Hopefully never have to change this again.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumba
Success! I changed my passenger side compression rod and my G drives like a dream again. No clunk no sounds at all. I guess I sped up the inevitable by hitting a couple speed bumps too fast.

For the record, changing this was an absolute nightmare. The bushing which can be purchased separately had completely fused with the bolt coming out of the frame. Wish I had taken some pics. I had to cut the sleeve the entire way up before it would even budge.

Figured I could change this in a couple hours, turned into a 3 day ordeal. Maybe you will have better luck and I'm sure snow and salt didn't help the matter. Hopefully never have to change this again.
Do you notice a difference in ride quality, vibrations, or noise while driving down the road? Or just a difference when entering a driveway?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
@AARONHL

All around. Steering is tighter, vibrations while driving are less, not much difference as far as road noise, but the clunk is no more! That's what was most important.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Noise from front compression rod

Have you guys seen this bulletin from INFINITI?

It won't let me have a file over 100 and it doesn't accept rar and the zip multi-file won't be accepted. Who's the webmaster here?

Anyways... the link is here... you have one chance to download the right file. If you choose the wrong one you have to wait 24 hrs unless you sign up to download it. Chow

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...6&sort=d&pp=12

Last edited by Progression; 06-29-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: webmaster has rediculous file size requirements
Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ is there supposed to be a link?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I found out the noise with my car.

I found out the noise with my car.

Nothings wrong!

Please read my post here on G35driver.com

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post4368884

Old 07-18-2009, 03:36 PM
I've read every page of this thread and I have not heard anyone mention a squeaking sound coming from the front.

Whenever I go over rough roads (rough being old brick) I hear tons of squeaking each time my car compensates for a rough spot. My car has 64k miles on it, and to my knowledge has never had any sort of suspension work done on it.

Does this fall in line with the 'creaking' noise you guy have been hearing? Upon visual inspection I do not see much more than standard dry cracks on the bushings themselves.

Thanks in advance!

David

Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
if you guys have comp rods that fail out of warranty, i would recommend getting coupe bushings/rods. they are solid rubbed and are a direct fit on a sedan.

speaking from experience, i dont think i have ever run across a coupe with comp rod squeak.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
has anyone else noticed that problematic suspension noises tend to go away once it's the middle of the summer heat. I haven't heard clunking in a few weeks since it's been in the mid-90s in central florida, and I have a service appointment in 2 days for them to look at this as well as my rocking driver's seat.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Yes, it's def more noticable on cold cool mornings than during hot days

Prob due to the properties of the rubber bushings in cold and warm temps

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree... summertime means hot softened rubber.. more pliable = less squeak, as it gets cold, rubber hardens = more squeak!! I noticed the same thing.. i was ready to take my car in for this issue and it isn't doing it as much if at all now that it's getting toasty out there!?!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Yeah, i had the same issue. The day i brought my car in happened to be one of the warmer days. Dealer calls me up and tells me they can't reproduce it. They asked me which side it was to check with the car on the lift. Apparently they found it because they replaced the driver's side compression rod.

However, they only replaced that ONE rod, and now the passenger side is doing it when it's cold out in the AM (50's and 60's) but silent during the day.

I'm gonna bring it in anyway, i got some other minor issues to fix and i want to drive a new G35x around for a day or so

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap