G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Would worn compression rods cause you to feel the road at your feet when driving on the highway? It feels like the front end is loose, noisy, and rougher than usual when cruising on the highway.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Would worn compression rods cause you to feel the road at your feet when driving on the highway? It feels like the front end is loose, noisy, and rougher than usual when cruising on the highway.
Is it the actual compression rods that wear out or the bushings? I'm just wondering whether I should replace the bushings or the entire compression rod

Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 AM
An interesting picture I found showing the suspension

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by RiCeBrNr
Is it the actual compression rods that wear out or the bushings? I'm just wondering whether I should replace the bushings or the entire compression rod
Has anyone replaced just the bushing? I want to review the Technical Service Bulletin when I get home because I think it states to only replace one of the two bushings.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Yes people have replaced just the bushings.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Are replacement bushings the new design? Or the existing?

IIRC, the new comp rods are a new design....at least the bushings. Just wondering if the redesigned bushings required a new design to the arm?

My dealer only replaced ONE compression rod. They didn't do the pair. I drove this AM and the other original one creaked very faintly so i know i'll need to get the other one done now.

Oh well, my warranty is up Feb of 2010, so i have time. I'll wait til something else goes and bring it in for the other rod. I like driving the loaner cars

Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Look in the FSM for removal and the TSB can be found online which shows the bushing installation.
Unfortunately I need colorful pictures and big bold instructions

I've read the service manual but still don't feel comfortable with the instructions specifically removing the compression rod from the steering knuckle with a "ball joint remover".

Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Here are the parts from my recent replacement

Keep in mind this is driver's side and for an AWD G35. I guess the RWD models use AC70F.

Compression Rod: FRO-54469-AC71F
Bolt-stopper: 40038-AQ301

Another thing to note, the new arm is painted black. The original is bare aluminum.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 04-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by RiCeBrNr
Unfortunately I need colorful pictures and big bold instructions

I've read the service manual but still don't feel comfortable with the instructions specifically removing the compression rod from the steering knuckle with a "ball joint remover".
It's basically a tuning fork type of tool that you hammer into the joint causing it come loose. Should be very easy, if it is anything like a tie rod (I've done those before).

The TSB states:

Check the taper part of the ball joint. If the taper part is damaged or scratched, the compression rod assy. will have to be replaced.
I am worried once I remove the compression rod I will notice both bushings are worn so it would be pointless to buy just the single bushing called for in the TSB. Has anyone ever had this issue? I guess when it gets warmer I will remove them and inspect to see if I should replace the whole compression rod assembly.

I am experiencing a lot of road vibration/noise in the front of my G on the highway. Would the compression rods be causing this? Or is it just when going slowly over bumps? Because I do hear creaking, but wonder if I have another problem as well.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I have a similair issue, I don't know whether to buy just the bushings or an entire compression rod.

It's basically a tuning fork type of tool that you hammer into the joint causing it come loose. Should be very easy, if it is anything like a tie rod (I've done those before).

The TSB states:

I am worried once I remove the compression rod I will notice both bushings are worn so it would be pointless to buy just the single bushing called for in the TSB. Has anyone ever had this issue? I guess when it gets warmer I will remove them and inspect to see if I should replace the whole compression rod assembly.

I am experiencing a lot of road vibration/noise in the front of my G on the highway. Would the compression rods be causing this? Or is it just when going slowly over bumps? Because I do hear creaking, but wonder if I have another problem as well.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my car to Nissan last week for some small electrical work and was also hoping to get my driver's side compression rod bushing and/or rod replaced due to the creaking. I gave them the TSB # and they took a look. The tech told me that there was no damage to the bushing and the invoice says "Needs to happen more than once." Oh you mean like, every time I take a right hand turn, go over speed bumps, change direction quickly etc?? Riiiight.

Anyways, the noise is getting worse and I'm going to check out the bushing when I swap my springs this weekend or next. Will I be able to adequately check the bushing for a tear without removing the rod itself? i.e is most/all of the bushing visible while on the car?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Anyone have a link to the TSB?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Wow, great post. Now I can finally get that annoying creak taken care of. Nobody mentioned whether an alignment was needed after the install, anyone know? My guess is not.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
After replacing the compression rods, is an alignment necessary?

Will new compression rods give you an overall smoother ride? Or just stop the creaking and popping while entering a driveway? Because it feels like I have some rumbling up front while cruising at speeds.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Actually, the FSM does not say to remove anything other than the compression rod ends so an alignment should not be necessary. Does that sound right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap