G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods please move if this location is not appropriate.
I thought I would share my experience with the fellows. My wife drives the G35 Sedan 2006. Purchased used with 40K miles and has hated it for the last year and a half. Front end squeak was the culprit. I hear it when she comes home and I am standing at the tool box in the man cave. I however have never been able to duplicate during my test runs or by even bouncing on the dang thing. Guess I give the G the love she needs. Anywhoo; I threw the sled up on jack stands the other night to give the ole compression rods an inspection. All looked good. No cracks in the rubber bushings and so forth. I dropped it off the jack and low and behold squeaks! SOB I say as I jack it back up and drop it again. Squeak duplicated. Let me just get to the point. I jiggled the hood and it was loose. I adjusted the two bumpers a turn and a half and slammed her shut. Dropped it off the jack again not a sound. No squeaks! I have asked her every night for two weeks if the ride made a peep and she says not yet! I'm a hero. Just thought I would share my experience and hope it helps the boys. She hates the blind spots and stiffness….That’s what she said!
No V-day gift of a Lexus for her. She should have said it's still doing it!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hmnegs75
I thought I would share my experience with the fellows. My wife drives the G35 Sedan 2006. Purchased used with 40K miles and has hated it for the last year and a half. Front end squeak was the culprit. I hear it when she comes home and I am standing at the tool box in the man cave. I however have never been able to duplicate during my test runs or by even bouncing on the dang thing. Guess I give the G the love she needs. Anywhoo; I threw the sled up on jack stands the other night to give the ole compression rods an inspection. All looked good. No cracks in the rubber bushings and so forth. I dropped it off the jack and low and behold squeaks! SOB I say as I jack it back up and drop it again. Squeak duplicated. Let me just get to the point. I jiggled the hood and it was loose. I adjusted the two bumpers a turn and a half and slammed her shut. Dropped it off the jack again not a sound. No squeaks! I have asked her every night for two weeks if the ride made a peep and she says not yet! I'm a hero. Just thought I would share my experience and hope it helps the boys. She hates the blind spots and stiffness….That’s what she said!
Cool story bro!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
no offense, but most know the difference between hood noise and suspension noise...

Trust me, the percentage of complaints about compression rod bushings actually being a hood problem is minuscule.

glad you fixed your noise though.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
no offense, but most know the difference between hood noise and suspension noise...
I must have missed the part where he said he got the two confused. So why would he take offense?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider
I must have missed the part where he said he got the two confused. So why would he take offense?
yes, apparently you did miss it... let me draw your attention to it:

Originally Posted by Hmnegs75
not to mention the fact that the thread is regarding compression rod... call me over analytical, or just plain guilty of common sense, but it sure seems the nature of his post was to imply his initial concern of bad compression rods ended up being a loose hood bumper.

Anything else you might like me to further explain?

And for the record - I prefaced by stating "no offense" so as to let him know I'm not trying to be a smart @ss (something many out here seem not to care about).

Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
yes, apparently you did miss it... let me draw your attention to it:
Still don't see it. But thanks for the help anyway.

I go the distinct impression that he was checking the rods despite not yet having heard the offending squeak. When he heard the squeak he immediately checked the hood bumpers. Not the rods again.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider
Still don't see it. But thanks for the help anyway.

I go the distinct impression that he was checking the rods despite not yet having heard the offending squeak. When he heard the squeak he immediately checked the hood bumpers. Not the rods again.
you're joking right?... I mean really?

re-read his post... he was under the car checking the compression rods because of the sound

the first part of his post addresses the sound (before he ever got under the car)...

Last edited by OCG35; 02-15-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I see now where we are getting our wires crossed. He never heard the sound from inside the car, only from inside his garage when his wife drove in. I wasn't "counting" that because I don't believe that would be a normal experience nor would the sound be familiar from outside the car. However . . . I must also admist to being dull-witted in other areas as well. I failed to recognize the hi-speed vibration in my G as a compression rod issue. I presume I am not the typical G driver who will have identified the sound, even though it doesn't arise in connection with any other vehicle, and even if never heard before.

I do admit to getting weary of reading arrogant smart-a$$ and incorrect responses to helpful posts in internet forums. My bad.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
^^^ I just didn't want G owners that are unaware of the history behind the notorious compression rod issue to mistakenly think its the hood instead...

the post we referenced was obviously hood - but in the vast majority of issues as described within the thread (such as creaking over low speed bumps) will be compression rod bushings rather than hood bumpers rubbing.

All good.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Fix

So I knew my compression rod bushings were shot for about 6K miles now. I went into Infiniti for an oil change. I brought my own Castrol Synthetic oil and Fram filter. I mentioned the noise from front end and he said it was probably the compression rods. I got it replaced under warranty with my $100 deductible. He said the compression rods and bushings are covered for 4yr/60K miles, whichever comes first. Mine is a 2005 so it wouldn't have been covered under warranty if it wasn't for the Elite Warranty Plan.

WOW The creaking noise is DEFINITELY GONE and my ride feels improved as well. I am very happy with the new bushings and would definitely recommend getting them replaced if there are worn!

Although I paid $100 deductible for the bushings to be replaced, I am very happy with the results and they also did not use the oil and filter I brought in so I got free oil and filter albeit the $25 labor cost I would've paid regardless!

It's a little off topic but I installed the drive belts myself and wanted them to check the tension for me and they refused all the way. After I decided to get my bushings replaced, he finally said he will tell his guy and see what they can do which means maybe. They ended up tightening my drive belts but anyways.

F**K Y** INFINITI DEALERSHIPS!
:]

Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Not to scare anybody or anything, but at least twice a year I hear stories of dealers overtightening accessory belts, which eventually lead to bearing failures of pumps and alternators. Dealers already have enough to concern about when installing belts for customers, let alone following up on a previously performed work done by a customer!

Although the quality of work is mostly based on the quality of the technician, belt tensioning is one of those things that many people cannot seem to get it right. The parimary existence of dealerships is to make deals on car sales. Let keep it this way.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Not sure if Fram is the best choice.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:15 PM
enough attention on compression rod bushing side, but I want to remind everybody, other side(ball joint) could go bad too, and it's very hard to diagnose if the car is on lift.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
G35 Bushings replacement.

I have a 2005 G35 with 70K miles and the dealer says it's time to replace the bushings. I'm so ignorant, I hardly know what bushings are. There is a newish, rather pronounced squeak from the rear of the car when I go over bumps, including backing out of my uneven driveway. I believe that might be a bushings issue. Am I totally off base? How much should it cost to replace bushings? Any G35 experts out there have any wisdom to share?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Every neighborhood has a knowledgeable independent brake/alignment shop. Before anyone lets the dealership screw them on parts that aren't needed along with ballooned prices, have that independent shop let you know what's really needed and pay what they charge. I'm so tired of hearing what Infiniti charges for simple service knowing there's no need to pay their prices when we have other choices, even Nissan is generally cheaper and their mechanics are more qualified!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap