My new JDM Skyline (G35 Coupe) S-Tune Suspension...YEAH:)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
My new JDM Skyline (G35 Coupe) S-Tune Suspension...YEAH:)

My rarity points are starting to add up! Base Model 6MT, Project MU rotors, and soon to be installed by me a Nismo S-Tune suspension engineered for my car...not the 350z. These arrived today from Japanparts.com and the Nismo sways are soon to follow.

I will take some pictures but I don't think I can improve on this instructional thread...

http://www.350zforum.com/tech/NISMOS...uspension.aspx

Last edited by dothemath; 03-01-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
hella JDM..i like lol..how much did that run you?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
very nice!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet..

Old 02-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Well I have removed the front struts and they are at a local mechanic that is a life long friend of my neighbors along with the new struts and springs. He is going to assemble the new struts because I was fearful of the whole 300-500 pounds of pressure from the springs. I got the car on jack stands, removed the old struts, removed the unter tray and "dry" fitted the new front Nismo sway bar in a little less than 2 hours. I would say that is great time and...so far easy job...for this amatuer mechanic only using hand tools.

My Stoptech SS lines almost proved to be too short when releasing the top link bolt. The steering knuckle leans out and it tugged the line a little but turning the wheel to the left for the left strut helped...and right for the right side. I don't think any damage to the lines occurs...the stress on the lines was not that much.

........Next day

Today I will pic up the newly assembled struts, get them installed, and hopefully start on the back before I have to pick up my wife. The job will be finished Saturday. I will take a few pics today since I forgot the camera yesterday. I could never improve on the instructional post I linked to so I am not going to do a DIY thread like I did for the brakes and belt replacement.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I have not moved the car any farther than to get it off the ramps after removing the jack stands. The installation went absolutely flawless. An amateur mechanic, me, with only hand tools and a very thorough set of directions took a total of seven relaxed hours over two afternoons to complete the job. My friend could not believe how easy the G's suspension is to work on and frankly...neither could I! I will have to drive the car probably about a total of 50 miles before getting an alignment Monday My impressions from driving around on public roads will be posted shortly after but I will not be back to Sebring until November

Some pics

My friends garage. He had a lot more fun than this picture shows!

Me and my "new" ride.

I will post better pictures when the car and myself are clean and there is natural light.

Last edited by dothemath; 02-29-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by pghG35
hella JDM..i like lol..how much did that run you?
Dang! That was fast. I cheated and was making posts at G35frenzy.com and wanted to paste them here too!

Anyway the JDM suspension kit was about $1600.00 including shipping from japanparts.com. I say about because of the fluctuation dollar conversion and I did not check my credit card online yet to see the exact charge. I could be up to the 1650.00 range. I bought the Nismo S-tune sways from mynismo.com because they were running a special the month of February so they were much cheaper and the same. It would have been about 400.00 cheaper to get everything from mynismo.com but I did not really want the extra 1/2 inch drop and worry about scraping, camber issues...blah blah blah. I track my car at Sebring about every six months and really just wanted the stiffer suspension and as little drop as possible.

I read many posts about coil-overs being better and adjustable...but I didn't want to use my amateur driving skills for tuning a suspension system. This seemed like the best bet for out of the box great handling that will still be very livable for the street. I know part of the price is in the name Nismo, but I also believe Nissan engineers can put together a system for my car better than me with springs from here...shocks from there...sways from somewhere else...whatever.

Last edited by dothemath; 02-29-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah...Thanks for the compliment

Old 03-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good! A local shop had to custom order my CPV35 set directly from Nismo, as I too didn't want the Nismo Z33 version with the extra drop. After being broken in, the Nismo suspension rides very comfortably. Stiffer than stock but very comfortable on city streets. It's a good street suspension. Hardcore track enthusiasts may prefer something a little more performance oriented such as adjustable coilovers. But I think I'm happy with mine the way it is. I just wanted some more sport handling without a jarring ride. You shouldn't need a camber kit as after my alignment, my camber was -1.3 F and -1.8 R (at limit of factory spec), toe was fine.

How are the performance of your Project Mu rotors with Nismo pads? The slotted rotors look awesome.

BTW, in your signature, I think you meant to say Nismo R-Tune Pads (not Honda Type-R ones )

Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job keep it up! car looks great...

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hows the ride feel? and awesome setup!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by GTR_Boy
Looking good! A local shop had to custom order my CPV35 set directly from Nismo, as I too didn't want the Nismo Z33 version with the extra drop. After being broken in, the Nismo suspension rides very comfortably. Stiffer than stock but very comfortable on city streets. It's a good street suspension. Hardcore track enthusiasts may prefer something a little more performance oriented such as adjustable coilovers. But I think I'm happy with mine the way it is. I just wanted some more sport handling without a jarring ride. You shouldn't need a camber kit as after my alignment, my camber was -1.3 F and -1.8 R (at limit of factory spec), toe was fine.

How are the performance of your Project Mu rotors with Nismo pads? The slotted rotors look awesome.

BTW, in your signature, I think you meant to say Nismo R-Tune Pads (not Honda Type-R ones )
There is not many of us I believe with the JDM system. ...and I am not sure how good I am looking after five hours of working on my car I see you were inspired by "BWASSUL" after his install of the JDM S-tune suspension...I did a lot of reading before deciding Glad to hear another positive opinion about the system and the info on the alignment specs. Your description is exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to drive the car tomorrow and get my alignment done Monday so I can really have some fun. There was a member that did a lot of performance tests on multiple suspensions and apparently the S-Tune system apparently fared very well even against some coil-over systems. I found references to the thread from 2003 & 2004 but the actual thread was dead.

The purchasing experience was as positive as it could be dealing with a company on the other side of the world. The hassle came from my credit card company at first thinking someone stole my credit card because of the odd origin of the purchase. There are some extra steps to validating your credit card through a phone call and an email to japanparts.com. But if you need a part from japan I would recommend them to anyone.

The first time I drove into the keyhole after installing the brakes, the tightest turn at Sebring Raceway, I applied the brakes at the same point I used to use with stock lines, rotors, and Hawk HPS pads. The result of using my old braking point was that I came near to a dead stop WAY before the entry point of the corner. I basically re-accelerated to the corner. Given the fact that that R-tune pads are still not dedicated track only pads the difference was not quite so dramatic throughout the day as they heated up, or maybe I just got used to them quickly I don't know. They are definitely way more resistant to fade then HAWK HPS. But then, HPS pads suck for track days after you develop some driving skills and your confidence improves. HPS pads fading at the track is to be expected since they are street pads but I did not like them on the street either. The R-tune pads resist fade, can recover quickly if you let them, and did not leave excessive pad deposit nor gouge my Mu rotors...they are also nearly as good as the OEM pads for the street and in initial bite. I will use them again. On the negative side they are a bit more expensive and seem to wear faster. My observations about the pads may not be fair though because I am now using racing fluid, the slotted Mu's, and SS lines which were all installed at the same time as the Nismo pads which also adds a lot of performance potential. I love everything about my brakes now and am very happy with my purchase and installation. The advice and purchase came from mynismo.com after they were on the phone with me for probably 20 minutes answering all my questions. My installation DIY is here...

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/182516-project-mu-rotor-stoptech-ss-lines-nismo-pad-installation.html

Oh and thanks for pointing out my error. I was a little tired last night when changing my sig.

Last edited by dothemath; 03-01-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Infiniti advertised this car as a luxury sport coupe. I just wanted a semi-practical sports car which is why I ordered a manual without the sunroof, dual climate control, blah, blah, blah. My first impressions of the car just driving home from my friends house, who had a garage to work in, is that my luxury sport coupe is now a practical sports car. The ride is just as GTR_Boy describes, firm yet not jarring. Rocking the wheel back and forth showed that there is a lot less body roll. I think I am going to be very happy because my first impression is very positive. I will have some fun with it after the alignment and report back

Old 03-01-2008, 03:45 PM
These are the closest comparison pictures I think I have
Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Strut shot

Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. few have this system because for the same money you can go for coilovers which are soooo much better than springs and shocks. Plus with this system you get a very minimal drop

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new JDM Skyline (G35 Coupe) S-Tune Suspension...YEAH:)