Finally Installed... 14" G37 BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Installed... 14" G37 BBK

Ok, So I purchased these about a month ago off another member on My350Z. The original owner had bought the kit new from Infiniti of Riverside back at the beginning of summer along with the JDM bracket for the front brake calipers. He had also purchased the Motul RBF 600 Brake fluid and the Stoptech Stainless lines. The guy had the calipers powder coated Extreme Chrome which actually was more like a silver / grey in color and to be honest was not the highest quality job, or at least it was not to my standard.
The owner ended up never installing these brakes and so they were sold to me, powder coated but unused.

From the get go, these brakes have always intrigued me as a legitimate alternative to the other BBKs out there. Especially since the initial price paid was less than any front only BBK on the market. I felt this represented a tremendous value for a 4pot/2pot 14"-F/ 13.8”-R brake system that would utilize components that can purchased from any Infiniti/ Nissan dealer in the country. This means that replacement parts should I need any will always be readily available and relatively inexpensive.
Anyway, so once I received the brakes I purchased a set of Project Mu NS pads and the Extreme Chrome had to go, so I had them Powder Coated Orange, since Red has been done and I will leave Yellow for when I get Carbon Ceramics.

Install.
The install was pretty straightforward the kit is VERY complete including everything you need to install this on a G35 or G37....it is worth mentioning that the brackets require that you do some minor grinding to get everything to fit flush but it’s still nothing that your avg. shop would have any issue with and it wont affect you putting your stock calipers back on should you desire.

The front rotors do weigh a decent amount more than the G35 rotors but I would the say the G35 Calipers weigh the same amount more over the G37 calipers so it kinda balances out. I will be purchasing the slotted rotors as soon as they are available though (supposedly another week or so) so I can shed that additional rotational mass.

Driving Impressions.

First, WOOOW, These things stop great and the brake pedal is noticeably more firm. My only experience with a BBK is the Stoptech 6pot/4pot kit on my dad’s Viper. Having tracked that car extensively, I can say confidently that my G35 now stops every bit as well. (pads and tires have alot to do with this) I took the car to an empty road late at night to bed the pads in properly. I did about 6 or 7 hard 80-15mph stops.

After about the 4th stop I did notice the pedal travel increased a bit and got a tad spongy. The car seemed to still be slowing down just as rapidly as before despite the smell and the change in pedal feel. And the difference in brake force over the stock brakes was very apparent. The pedal did return to its normal firmness though within 1 or 2 minutes of driving. I think this might have had more to do with me still bedding in the pads and the fact that the NS is an aggressive street pad and NOT a track pad thus is less aggressive than say the P-Mu B force pads.

Because my car is a daily driver, I decided that it was more of priority for me to have brakes that stop great cold and do not squeak rather than having a fade proof pad that requires a lot of heat to work their best. I will be purchasing some more aggressive Carbotech Pads for the track and or canyons.
Infiniti of Riverside claims the master cylinder and booster in the g35 is sufficient for these brakes and I think so too. I however am inclined to maybe purchase the master cylinder and booster that came on the Brembo equipped cars or the G37's unit (if it will work) just to see if it makes a difference.

All in all, the brakes look great!! They stop heads and shoulders above what my stock brakes did and do it for a relative bargain. Its also cool to a slightly different BBK from the standard Stoptech, AP and Rotora other have.

I have only put about 10 miles on my car since the install but once I get some more miles on them in the coming days, I will offer more vivid thoughts on the performance of these things.

More pictures to come

Last edited by Omeezy; 04-19-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Why orange?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G U LATER
Why orange?
+1

good write-up though

Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool. How big wheels do you need to clear these brakes?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G U LATER
Why orange?
Why not...It's different I like it...post more pics of the whole car.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Ian
Why not...It's different I like it...post more pics of the whole car.
yea exactly, i love it

awesome write up, please keep us updated on how they feel compared to the stock brakes after a couple hundred miles

Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
looks good...makes me want to powder coat my brembos now...

Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 PM
what offsets are you running on your sf winnings? I have the 9.5 +19 in the front and 10.5 +17

I was told that a bbk wouldn't fit with those offsets. Or would I need spacers to have them fit?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Dudefish
Very cool. How big wheels do you need to clear these brakes?
18" wheels will clear these just fine......general rule of thumb for clearance excluding offset of course is: 13" brakes- 17" wheels, 14" brakes- 18" wheels & 15" brakes- 19" wheels.

Originally Posted by EEjiggapin0
what offsets are you running on your sf winnings? I have the 9.5 +19 in the front and 10.5 +17

I was told that a bbk wouldn't fit with those offsets. Or would I need spacers to have them fit?
I have the same size wheel and the rears cleared just fine. But I do have to run a 15mm spacer for the front. I was worried that it would push the wheel out to far and cause rubbing with the fender but Im still clearing just fine. and it actually looks a lot better now. The front wheel isn't sticking out at all but instead almost flush with the fender. Makes the front look where even with the wider rears.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
FYI - The specs on the master cylinder, at least in cylinder bore size, for the G35 (all non-Brembo 2003-2007) and G37 (Akebono 4-piston/2-piston calipers) are the same. Both have a 1" cylinder bore. The Brembo-equipped master cylinders are 1.0626" cylinder bore.

The brake booster used in the G37 coupe is the same as is used in the G35 Brembo-equipped coupes, but realistically, the brake booster shouldn't have any real impact on brake bias - more likely on braking feel/effort.

Using the specs from the 2004-2007 G35 coupes and the 2008 G37 coupe FSM's, the brake bias calculator at this link (http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...alculator.html), and using the same assumptions for all setups (leg input of 60 lbs, coefficient of friction of .4 for front and rear), I calculated that:

- The G35 Brembo coupe has a brake bias of 65.3% front bias. Brake torque is 47.5k in-lbs f/23.8k in-lbs r
- The G35 non-Brembo coupe (in 2003-2004) has a brake bias of 62.3% front. Brake torque is 47.9k in-lbs f/27.9k in-lbs r
- The G35 non-Brembo coupe (2005-2007) has a brake bias of 67.8% front. Brake torque is 64k in-lbs f/29.7k in-lbs r
- The G37 with Akebono 4 piston BBK has a brake bias of 67.1% front. Brake torque is 64.7k in-lbs f/30.8k in-lbs r
- The 2005-2007 G35 with G37 BBK added should, theoretically at least, have roughly the same brake bias as the G37. However if yours is a 2003-2004, the brake torque all around will increase significantly, requiring much less pedal effort, and the bias will be thrown more towards the front.

Keep in mind, this is static bias, assumes same coeff. of friction all around, doesn't account for weight transfer, weight of the rotors, etc. so take with a grain of salt, but it suggests that you are at least in good starting shape with this mod. Comparison testing would be necessary to confirm that the dynamic bias isn't significantly off.

Last edited by G35fromPA; 02-06-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Great choice of brakes, but horrible color choice...lol.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Nice, I can't wait for more.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very good write up, and color...but imo, orange would be great on any other color exterior except black, where it looks like you're going with a Halloween theme

Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
FYI - The specs on the master cylinder, at least in cylinder bore size, for the G35 (all non-Brembo 2003-2007) and G37 (Akebono 4-piston/2-piston calipers) are the same. Both have a 1" cylinder bore. The Brembo-equipped master cylinders are 1.0626" cylinder bore.

The brake booster used in the G37 coupe is the same as is used in the G35 Brembo-equipped coupes, but realistically, the brake booster shouldn't have any real impact on brake bias - more likely on braking feel/effort.

Using the specs from the 2004-2007 G35 coupes and the 2008 G37 coupe FSM's, the brake bias calculator at this link (http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...alculator.html), and using the same assumptions for all setups (leg input of 60 lbs, coefficient of friction of .4 for front and rear), I calculated that:

- The G35 Brembo coupe has a brake bias of 65.3% front bias. Brake torque is 47.5k in-lbs f/23.8k in-lbs r
- The G35 non-Brembo coupe (in 2003-2004) has a brake bias of 62.3% front. Brake torque is 47.9k in-lbs f/27.9k in-lbs r
- The G35 non-Brembo coupe (2005-2007) has a brake bias of 67.8% front. Brake torque is 64k in-lbs f/29.7k in-lbs r
- The G37 with Akebono 4 piston BBK has a brake bias of 67.1% front. Brake torque is 64.7k in-lbs f/30.8k in-lbs r
- The 2005-2007 G35 with G37 BBK added should, theoretically at least, have the same brake bias as the G37 since the master cylinder bore is the same. However if yours is a 2003-2004, the brake torque all around will increase significantly, requiring much less pedal effort, and the bias will be thrown more towards the front.

Keep in mind, this is static bias, assumes same coeff. of friction all around, doesn't account for weight transfer, weight of the rotors, etc. so take with a grain of salt, but it suggests that you are at least in good starting shape with this mod. Comparison testing would be necessary to confirm that the dynamic bias isn't significantly off.

Also, this doesn't look specifically at torque values and
Great info.

I could be wrong but the bore size won't affect the bias. Only the pedal travel and force applied. I think the bias is controlled by little valves inside the master cylinder. Probably near where the lines to each end go out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Installed... 14" G37 BBK