NEW SPL PRO front compression rod bushings

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Okay... I haven't been on G35driver in awhile, but I felt the need to go on and post an update on this..

So far i've had those SPL compression rod bushings on for probably a couple months. Half a year or something like that. The clunking noise that I was getting before.. it slowly got worse, but it was hard to notice. Then all of a sudden after a couple days of rain on and off.. the clunking seemed to have gotten worse. Like especially at low speeds and while braking.

So maybe they've picked up some dirt and debris and maybe that's why the noise has gotten worse.. so I took out the bottle of PB blaster that I bought awhile ago and sprayed it all over the front bushings.. then I drove it around the neighborhood and to my surprise.. the noise and clunking immediately went away!.. It's been around a week now since i've done that and still no noise so maybe you just have to keep it clean and lubricated? I plan on buying a can of teflon spray lube later on too so maybe if I keep using PB blaster and the lube then it'll take care of the problem.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by prinny
Okay... I haven't been on G35driver in awhile, but I felt the need to go on and post an update on this..

So far i've had those SPL compression rod bushings on for probably a couple months. Half a year or something like that. The clunking noise that I was getting before.. it slowly got worse, but it was hard to notice. Then all of a sudden after a couple days of rain on and off.. the clunking seemed to have gotten worse. Like especially at low speeds and while braking.

So maybe they've picked up some dirt and debris and maybe that's why the noise has gotten worse.. so I took out the bottle of PB blaster that I bought awhile ago and sprayed it all over the front bushings.. then I drove it around the neighborhood and to my surprise.. the noise and clunking immediately went away!.. It's been around a week now since i've done that and still no noise so maybe you just have to keep it clean and lubricated? I plan on buying a can of teflon spray lube later on too so maybe if I keep using PB blaster and the lube then it'll take care of the problem.
Please keep us posted if cleaning / PB blasting these regularly keeps the knocking at bay.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Row2k
Please keep us posted if cleaning / PB blasting these regularly keeps the knocking at bay.

So far so good. It's been around 2 weeks so far and no change in noise and no knocking. Haven't put any lube on it yet though. Any idea if there's any sort specific lube or brand that I should bother looking for?

like maybe this?

http://store.triflowlubricants.com/p...1.1.0.0.0.0.0?

or this?

Amazon Amazon

Or does it really matter?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Update: Pb blaster seems to fix it for the most part. I had some issues earlier though like I was still getting some clunking even after spraying it... but it seemed as if it were coming from elsewhere.. or I don't know. It's strange. I'll keep this updated.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Prinny, call up SPL and ask for their compression rod bushing o-rings. These are now included with every SPL compression rod set they make and fix the knocking issue. I got mine sent to me for free since I never got these with my set (early when they came out). I will be re-installing my SPL bushings back in soon and will report on whether the knocking is completely solved but I expect it will be.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Sub'd for updates. I was a few days away from ordering the SPL bushings for every single piece of the front suspension of the car and now this has me worried.Maybe ill be going with poly bushings.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AreSicks
Sub'd for updates. I was a few days away from ordering the SPL bushings for every single piece of the front suspension of the car and now this has me worried.Maybe ill be going with poly bushings.
same here

Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
BUMP What are they symptoms or noises of a bad compression rod ball joint?

I hear a fast and somewhat continuous popping noise from the front drivers side when going over bumps; hearing it the best when driving slow in my yard. I replaced the compression rod bushings, but wondering if it was the ball joint making the noise. I remember it being a little loose when changing the bushings.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Don't assume the ES bushings are all flowers and rainbows. Street driven for 2 months without issues, then after a single track day:

And the diff bushing:

So I'm 0/2 for ES poly bushings. When the rear diff bushing went it also damaged the diff cover bolt. labor/parts involved in repairing that.

Taking the plunge with all metal LCA and diff bushings... noise or not I need something that won't self destruct in a month or two.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi, i need some help with my ride.. i am thinking about buying full set of busing for my ride. anyone can recommend me a place or vendor in this forum, bty i own 2003 G35 sedan(2WD) and i live in NY...thz guys

Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM
You can shop around but usually thmotorsports.com are the cheapest from my experience and their customer service is top notch.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Another update on the compression rod bushings.

The O rings help, but they can only do so much.

You have to constantly keep them lubed with pb blaster.. depends on the weather in your area. The more it rains. The more often you'll have to lube them up. For me I would lube them every couple weeks or once a month. If you clean them with a degreaser and then spray them up with a teflon based lube then it'll last even longer, but not sure how much longer.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
RCL
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Where do you buy these SPL solid bushings at? Also where do you get the solid diff bushings as well?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
I'd suggest thmotorsports.com

They are constantly some of the best prices I can find and their customer service is second to none.

If youre looking for bushings that are worry free, look at whiteline (the rear diff bushing cant fail so if you really want to go solid you wont have to worry about going SPL)

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm replacing my compression rod bushings with the SPL pro and I was told to make sure that I got the new ones with the self lubricating sleeve. I have found these on many sites but I can't always tell if they are the Ones with the new sleeve or the old ones that I was told made a lot of noise. How can I tell the differance???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: NEW SPL PRO front compression rod bushings