NEW SPL PRO front compression rod bushings

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Temple City Auto. But since they are in So Cal it doesnt do you any good...

It doesnt hurt me to ask where to get an alignment either - but what good does it do in a forum that isnt specific to my area.

Why don't you do as I suggested and post in your regional section?

Here, I'll make it easy for you - click this link and post your question (hell, even search there - you'll probably find your answer): https://g35driver.com/forums/southeast-41/

Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35

It doesnt hurt me to ask where to get an alignment either - but what good does it do in a forum that isnt specific to my area.

Here, I'll make it easy for you - click this link and post your question (hell, even search there - you'll probably find your answer): https://g35driver.com/forums/southeast-41/

Ooooo! Temple City Auto is legit! Found out about that place from my uncle and my parents just bought a good set of tires from them for pretty cheap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

But anyways.. after reading through ALL of that.. I'm still not sure what to get.. if the noise isn't THAT bad on the solid SPL bushings then I wouldn't mind forking over the money for those, but what about the alternatives? What other options do you think I would have besides those?

I can probably get them soon for $129 shipped, but then i'll have to take my car somewhere to get them installed because I don't have a press and installation seems like a pain and I don't know if i'll have the time to spare for it.

Last edited by prinny; 04-01-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...

Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by prinny
Ooooo! Temple City Auto is legit! Found out about that place from my uncle and my parents just bought a good set of tires from them for pretty cheap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

But anyways.. after reading through ALL of that.. I'm still not sure what to get.. if the noise isn't THAT bad on the solid SPL bushings then I wouldn't mind forking over the money for those, but what about the alternatives? What other options do you think I would have besides those?

I can probably get them soon for $129 shipped, but then i'll have to take my car somewhere to get them installed because I don't have a press and installation seems like a pain and I don't know if i'll have the time to spare for it.
Nismo : http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5348 (Im using these now - so far so good)...

I heard Energy is coming out with bushings for G35/350Z (not sure if compression rod bushings are available yet though)...

Also, Whitline makes bushing for G35 - but I don't know if thy have comp rod...

AFAIK Nismo is the only for sure opiton.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Nismo : http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5348 (Im using these now - so far so good)...

I heard Energy is coming out with bushings for G35/350Z (not sure if compression rod bushings are available yet though)...

Also, Whitline makes bushing for G35 - but I don't know if thy have comp rod...

AFAIK Nismo is the only for sure opiton.

Nice, thanks

How many miles do you think the Nismo ones would last? Would it be around the same as the OEM ones? Like 20k or so?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Nismo will likely last as much as the OEM at best

Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I suspect Nismo will last longer than OEM (its harder rubber)... but I dont drive the G much so I don't have many miles on the ones I'm using... I would bet they last longer than OEM though.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback

I feel stupid for asking this question even though i've read through this whole thing like twice, but are the compression rod bushings the only thing that I should bother replacing?

I don't want to go through with this if I'm not completely sure if that's everything that I'll be needing because the compression rod bushings are going to be like $135 then I'll have to get them installed to add onto the cost and it'd be cheaper and more convenient if I get other stuff done that need replacing.

I looked through the service records on my car last night and the owner before me never changed out any of the bushings and etc. My car's at 105k miles.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by prinny
Thanks for all the feedback

I feel stupid for asking this question even though i've read through this whole thing like twice, but are the compression rod bushings the only thing that I should bother replacing?

I don't want to go through with this if I'm not completely sure if that's everything that I'll be needing because the compression rod bushings are going to be like $135 then I'll have to get them installed to add onto the cost and it'd be cheaper and more convenient if I get other stuff done that need replacing.

I looked through the service records on my car last night and the owner before me never changed out any of the bushings and etc. My car's at 105k miles.
the bushing themselves are only about $25 each (for OEM) iirc maybe twice that for Nismo... should be able to get them pressed in and reinstalled for $100 or less for both (or save a few bucks and install yourself)

As for anything else to check - some people have had issue with the lower control arm bushings - you can replace those too while your there for the helluvit - but if the bushings look fine there's no need to replace.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 AM
the bushing themselves are only about $25 each (for OEM) iirc maybe twice that for Nismo... should be able to get them pressed in and reinstalled for $100 or less for both (or save a few bucks and install yourself)

As for anything else to check - some people have had issue with the lower control arm bushings - you can replace those too while your there for the helluvit - but if the bushings look fine there's no need to replace.

Hmmm think I'll get the SPL compression rod bushings and LCA bushings from Whiteline because it seems like the LCA bushings last a good deal longer than the compression rod bushings.. or am I wrong on that?

Old 04-02-2011, 03:25 AM
^^^ no definitive data to confirm or deny that... based on what has been reported as problematic, I wouldn't worry about lca bushing (it's much more rare than compression rod).

Old 04-02-2011, 04:45 AM
^^^ no definitive data to confirm or deny that... based on what has been reported as problematic, I wouldn't worry about lca bushing (it's much more rare than compression rod).

Yeah that's what I figured, but alright thanks for answering all my questions lol.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Andrei
UPDATE. The SPL bushings on my car started making noise even though I kept them properly lubricated with teflon. Therefore, I cant advocate their use on a street car and only for a track purpose car. I'm very disappointed given the price I paid for them. I'm sure the noise could have easily been prevented if the bushings had a rubber sleeve to prevent dirt/liquids from getting in.

+1 to this, I will be contacting SPL in hopes of a revised bearing. I had installed the lower arm bearings in my girlfriends g35 about a year ago and it sounds like it has loosened up. Started making little 'crick' noises, now has gone to tapping noises. I never lubricated them, it is a daily driver. I can't imagine what the car would sound like with all solid bushings after they are worn! When new, they are fine, no noise and the slightest amount of increase in vibration (braking) that I could notice. I was happy when new, but now the car sounds like junk. Still drives fine if you can stand the frequent tapping noises.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
you guys need to remember - most after market parts are performance oriented... they are not often intended as OEM daily driver replacement...

SPL parts should not be considered a "daily driver replacement" part... it would be like getting solid motor mounts for your daily driver...

If you want OEM ride quality - you should get OEM parts... If they wear out, be mad at Nissan... if you want performance/track parts, there are lots of decent after market options (such as SPL)... but they aren't the ones you should have issue with if your car isn't daily driven comfy.

If you think that solid aluminum is going to be as quiet and cushy as rubber... well, I guess you're gonna be disappointed with the SPL bushings (that's your fault though, not SPL).

Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 AM
It's not the fact that they are solid bearings, they were fine when new. It's because they get dirty and then wear out. How much faster would it wear out without the "self-cleaning" bearings they claim to use? I find that hard to believe because the bearings when new, are extremely frictionless.

Their claims that they are "suitable for street use" is misleading. That said, I didn't really believe them anyways and tried them out as a test. (I'm glad I didn't replace all the bushings!) At the time I ordered them, the only other option (whiteline) was backordered.

I don't find solid suspension joints to be bad on ride at all, only when they wear and make noise (possibly all balljoints that aren't OEM style that have some spring tension on them and rubber boots) and the potential to hit a bad pothole and bend or break something.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: NEW SPL PRO front compression rod bushings