Pirates coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Chatt sick pic how are you liking the ride quality I haven't had my pirates installed yet haven't found anyone who can help and I've been a little tight on cash

Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^^thanks guys!! i have mine in true setup and i love the ride quality! have taken a few road trips with them and no complaints!! in oem style i had a rough rear ride but it was only because of the wifey that i put them in true form..to satisfy her..next year im going back to oem style to go even lower

where you do live Vincenzg35?? i got your back if your close

Old 11-15-2011, 12:38 AM
NJ bro thanks anyway though

Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by HenryLee
^ Twall any leaking or sounds for you?
Nope none at all, but remember I have the gold ones ("supposedly" w/ a different company doing the seals)

Originally Posted by Deemo
Do true set up coils ride nicer than an OEM style coils, like my BC racing?
Twalls, I remember you giving me a ride with these and i thought they rode nicer than my bc. You have them in the true set up, correct?

I would think physics would justify why the ride is smoother on true coil setup.. When you have the movable part (spring) further away from the wheel, the vibration would be less.. Thus increasing ride comfort. I believe that's the science behind a true coil's comfort.. Simply moving the spring as far away from the wheel as possible (out of the spring bucket which is right by the wheel) and reinforcing the shock at the same time..

Yup I was I think the first to convert these to true coil.. Know I was the first one that posted it.. Still riding strong in true coil config.. Night and Day difference as far as bounciness of the rear when you go over bumps.. You DO sacrifice some of the drop because you can only compress the shock so much before you're riding on the spring.. But the benefit of increased ride comfort is worth it to me because I have a more practical stance.. It's low definitely, but not "stanced" or "dumpt" by any means.. I wanted to have the look but still maintain usability..

Last edited by twalls; 11-15-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
When you guys refer to the bounce in the rear, are you talking about a smooth bounce like a Lincoln town car bounce? Or are you talking about a stiff bounce like on a gokart?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Looking to get these for a "start out" set til I get more towards the performance/track coilovers. My only concern is the leaking that has surfaced. It is an affordable setup but the downtime of dealing with it and inconvenience.

I'm going with the true coilover setup and some camber mods but my have to go OEM if I can't get the "look" I want with my wheel setup.

Good thread guys!!!! I read it in its entirety...

Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Algy
When you guys refer to the bounce in the rear, are you talking about a smooth bounce like a Lincoln town car bounce? Or are you talking about a stiff bounce like on a gokart?
yeah, it's definitely a smooth bounce.. But the problem isn't the bounce, it's how MANY bounces it takes before the springs settle again.. It's just too bouncy in the rear.. Or was for me anyway.. In true setup, you get a smooth bounce as well when you hit a bump, but it settles a LOT faster..

Originally Posted by dmcelso
Looking to get these for a "start out" set til I get more towards the performance/track coilovers. My only concern is the leaking that has surfaced. It is an affordable setup but the downtime of dealing with it and inconvenience.

I'm going with the true coilover setup and some camber mods but my have to go OEM if I can't get the "look" I want with my wheel setup.

Good thread guys!!!! I read it in its entirety...

Don't get it confused.. These coils have been tested on the track as well during last year's XDC series... Nate Hamilton (Car 144) was rocking these till he got responsored this year by KSport.. It wasn't because the coils failed, he just got a better deal w/ them.. As far as the leak issue, I'm not dissing the red ones, but I know for a fact the Gold ones (From Topspeed) have different seals because I have a set of those myself and they haven't gone out again, and that's what they told me at Topspeed.. The people who had the same issue all got theirs replaced w/ yellow editions and are still rocking theirs just fine as well.. So that leads me to believe it was true. One person has even gone as far as to use the coils on their Air setup..

Last edited by twalls; 11-26-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Im leaning to the fact that since I don't know hoq to install coils I shouldn't have bought em just as a feeler PM me if anyones interested in buying a set of these brand new in the box never installed or removed from the plastic $500 I'm in NJ

Old 11-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
VincenzG35..the install is actually extremely simple..i had never done suspension work on my car till i got these coilovers and i did it all alone on a hot summer day in a driveway with a floor jack in 5 hours.

theres a few guides for spring installs you can easily use those to guide you in a coilover install. its really just a few bolts on each of the 4 corners to do the install.

if your wanting to get rid of them ill possibly buy them from you..you wont even have to ship because my Dad lives in New York and will get them from you! PM me!

Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Don't get it confused.. These coils have been tested on the track as well during last year's XDC series... Nate Hamilton (Car 144) was rocking these till he got responsored this year by KSport.. It wasn't because the coils failed, he just got a better deal w/ them.. As far as the leak issue, I'm not dissing the red ones, but I know for a fact the Gold ones (From Topspeed) have different seals because I have a set of those myself and they haven't gone out again, and that's what they told me at Topspeed.. The people who had the same issue all got theirs replaced w/ yellow editions and are still rocking theirs just fine as well.. So that leads me to believe it was true. One person has even gone as far as to use the coils on their Air setup..
...completely understand, as long as it doesn't leak I'll end up keeping these anyhow . I did send a message to racingfirst regarding the color and the leaking issue.They usually send out red ones and mentioned that the leaking issues did appear with some sets
but said the that the quality should be good now as of recent.I'm going to request the gold ones...just to be safe and I like the color.Thanks tony for the feedback...

now I'm back to looking for a rear camber kit to top off these coilovers.

Has anyone tried the stiffer spring rates?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
I sent them a msg just for some info, they will also sell them by pairs for around 300 shipped.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey fellas,

I finally got the video recorded of the squeak I'm battling on passenger rear side (upper area). Still no luck. So far things I tried:

1. Swap shocks from one side to another to eliminate it to "shock" issue. No luck
2. Added thicker rubber seals between spring and collar. No luck
3. Lifting up dust boot to eliminate "whoosh" sound. Not it

http://youtu.be/nctzMwmComU

Next attempt is to lube some bushings (I know i should've done that first). If that does not do it, I also think it could be dampener adjuster valve rubbing on the rubber cap above the upper pillow mount. I might cut a hole in that...

Also, I emailed racingfirst to see if they can assist...

If anyone has other thoughts, please share.

Last edited by lox1985; 11-27-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Well, a couple of things, he has no gold ones and states that both are of the same quality. He also said that the stiffer springs mentioned in his list are a "no go" since the stiffer spring ,12, is not the same length as the regular springs...so only 10/7 is available.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by lox1985
Hey fellas,

I finally got the video recorded of the squeak I'm battling on passenger rear side (upper area). Still no luck. So far things I tried:

1. Swap shocks from one side to another to eliminate it to "shock" issue. No luck
2. Added thicker rubber seals between spring and collar. No luck
3. Lifting up dust boot to eliminate "whoosh" sound. Not it

http://youtu.be/nctzMwmComU

Next attempt is to lube some bushings (I know i should've done that first). If that does not do it, I also think it could be dampener adjuster valve rubbing on the rubber cap above the upper pillow mount. I might cut a hole in that...

Also, I emailed racingfirst to see if they can assist...

If anyone has other thoughts, please share.
Wow that's loud, yeah that'd get on my nerves too bro.. hope you find out what it is. Also sounds like it's still bouncing when you're not even applying pressure.. Are you by chance still in OEM setup? The car will settle faster if you're in the true coil setup.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twalls
Wow that's loud, yeah that'd get on my nerves too bro.. hope you find out what it is. Also sounds like it's still bouncing when you're not even applying pressure.. Are you by chance still in OEM setup? The car will settle faster if you're in the true coil setup.
I'm in True set up. It was my buddy rocking the car. On the road it settles fairly quick. The sound is annoying...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pirates coilovers