Pirates coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
yeh, I guess I meant nothing other than Futura, at least to me, is a newer product line. I got his quote on the Futura's a few months ago. They are nice BBK, Iike but still are a bit pricey for my budget.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
anyone running these with air suspension?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
That was not mentioned by anyone yet in this thread. Maybe look in an MDU titled thread. If discussed there you could say that air suspension feature would apply to pirates as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
I inquired that question a few months back at a custom shop that I frequent.. I was told that there should be no problem running these w/ air suspension.. At the MOST a bracket would need to be fabricated.. No different than any other coils..

Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 PM
GSXR600409 has pictures of his coupe pirate drop install...here they are.
The red 24 damper setting kit;
Name:  2011-10-11174651.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  79.1 KB
His coupe;
Name:  2011-10-26155151.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  82.9 KB
Name:  2011-10-26155124.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  116.0 KB

Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow someone needs to clean there headlights lol sick though

Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toro12
cz... I hope you get an answer on the clank from some other pirate that has this sorted out.

1) Did you re-check your installed valve dampening settings to be sure nothing is broken or not functional inside the shock tube?

2) I'd notify racingfirst of your noise issue it sounds like their problem.

3) Are you certain the passenger side and driver side shocks are set to the same distance? Your slammed story makes me think you could not have been off by more than 1 thread of rotation. That is nothing.

My pirate coilovers are on car 7 months and 3000+ miles, never an issue; noises or unsatisfying road handling. This is a fact.

I hear you saying something along the line of factory defect, I think. Clanking or hand forced free play of the un-installed piston/ rod in the shock body is a warranty complaint that should immediatedly be documented with racingfirst for replacement.
The piston/rod must be very rigid in all side hand pushed/shook tests and very slow to compress the rod by hand using your body weight outside of the car.
No noise whatsoever on the uninstalled shock.

4) Just for talk; how low was your maxed out drop? I hope you measured the rocker panel to the ground and most coilover people claim the body drop from the OEM fender / ground distance to the dropped change after install. Both measurements would be helpful information since the question of max slam on pirates has never been clearly posted. You seem to have made that mistake haha.

Those slammed, slow and low G's on any coilovers must not drive around much in a practical way. Maybe to meets at parking lot's to show off, get pic's and post the greatness of low.
And if I were like that /I'd pack wood boards to use as steps as driveway crutches, if you all envision what I mean.

cz...Just for a base OEM height my 2003 sedan with sport 17's fender height was 28" above the ground.
Czarlos,
Yer light winded message o' woe, it sent us all far off course. We have fun ere matie with these cheap stinkers. Well at least sometimes, it can be funny when a limp torpedo is launched.

Arr, squiddy, I got nothin' against ya. I just heard ya say there was rattle problems with yer G "pirates" right out o' the box on her maiden voyage. Ha ha Harr,Harr Harr.

Arr, Ebay - Racingfirst be in a lotta trouble now fer your complaints. Hey, if yee made contact with those trading partners last week after the failed install, did they take the blame?

Let us "shamed pirates" know what tis it they sez to ya. Narr, no secrets be kept ere, join the crew and help us.
Really sorry I haven't chimed back in.

A few things in update, started having a whooshing sound out of passenger rear strut, then realized I accidentally loosened the dampening adjuster on that strut. Retightened and solved the whooshing sound over bumps.

However, still have the clunk, its on both sides and is terribly loud. I messaged Racingfirst and warrantied the rears, they shipped them out around 1am PST, they should be here sometime in the middle of next week. I am really starting to think the noise is bad or poorly lubricated pillowball mounts binding and hitting. Has anyone greased these? A good friend of mine has some blown Topspeed MDU rears and I want to possibly swap mounts to see if there is a difference in noise.

This time around I will try to keep you guys posted, so far this thread has been a wealth of info.

Oh and I never got fender to ground measurements, but I am sure they'd be off as I have these on my 04 Z. If I can get the sound to go away I might be able to drop the car all the way down to see how low they go. I know with zero preload they are almost undriveable in terms of bottoming out, but still reasonable to navigate the streets.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM
And in response to someone asking about air suspension,

You could literally use any coilover kit to do a custom bag over coil setup. Did the same thing on my GF's BMW. Its pretty simple, but you'd definitely want someone to make you (or even DIY if you know what your doing) a set of threaded brackets. Otherwise your airbag might move around and you'd rip out an airline and be stranded.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:57 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by czarlos
And in response to someone asking about air suspension,

You could literally use any coilover kit to do a custom bag over coil setup. Did the same thing on my GF's BMW. Its pretty simple, but you'd definitely want someone to make you (or even DIY if you know what your doing) a set of threaded brackets. Otherwise your airbag might move around and you'd rip out an airline and be stranded.
Yup.. Exactly..

Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Update,

Removed the rears, noticed one of the pillowball mounts was super loose to the point where I could hand tighten the nut on top. And the other had a small amount of shock fluid pooled on the strut.

For the mean time I threw on my OEM rears and noise is pretty much non-existant.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
How long did it take you guys to receive it once ordered?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
2 weeks delivery for mine in March 2011.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by czarlos
Update,

Removed the rears, noticed one of the pillowball mounts was super loose to the point where I could hand tighten the nut on top. And the other had a small amount of shock fluid pooled on the strut.

For the mean time I threw on my OEM rears and noise is pretty much non-existant.
Dam part out the fronts ill buy them

Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
czcarlos, Can you clarify your purchase and issues? I think you may be a first on a warranty claim with the pirates.
Did you make a warranty claim with racingfirst? Is the vendor shipping you replacements?
Is there any return shipping cost to you?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by My Key
How long did it take you guys to receive it once ordered?
About 4 days for me haha

Originally Posted by JaE35
Dam part out the fronts ill buy them
I don't give up that easy! Just received my new rears so its time to swap them again!

czcarlos, Can you clarify your purchase and issues? I think you may be a first on a warranty claim with the pirates.
Did you make a warranty claim with racingfirst? Is the vendor shipping you replacements?
Is there any return shipping cost to you?
Yes I messaged RacingFirst and they were more than accommodating, no charge whatsoever to me. Not even shipping! Great seller

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pirates coilovers