Sway Bar Summary!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, this is probably a bit of a nooby question, but would replacing the stock sways on my 04 G-sedan with sways from a 04 G-coupe make any sense? A friend was selling his...Or should I just save up and go aftermarket?

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
B T
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Blue, ended up taking a cutting wheel to it. Now to tackle the clunks and squeaks....

Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for those of you who live in snowy areas. Did any of you drive in the snow with aftermarket sway bars? Was traction worse than it normally is on a G in snow? What about rain?

Finally finished the whole thread, took a while lol. I'm ready to make the jump to Hotchkis but need to know if this is something I can just leave on and forget about it regardless of the season.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Just read the conclusion

Conclusion
Tube torsion members can be used successfully as swaybars with some benefit in weight
reduction.
As an example, 2 individual, rate equivalent (approximately), common sized generic bars
1100mm long with 300mm blades, one solid 24mm the other tube of 25.4 x 3.96mm (1”
x 0.156”) gives a weight reduction of about 2.5kg with about 200g of that as unsprung
mass per wheel.
However the downside to these is the increase in stress levels for equal OD or rate, and
therefore reduced strength. Also the complications seen in manufacture swaybars from
tubular medium, and the importance of geometric control under bending make these more
difficult and expensive to make. The attachment points at the blades can also be a
problem with these swaybar designs.
The additional complications and downsides of hollow bars seem to outweigh their
advantage in overall weight and unsprung mass, which can be seen to only be marginal in
street car application. Even OE manufacturers rarely use this type of design in their
swaybars. However with the right conditions and setups, they can bring some gain in
racing situations, which can require weight reductions to the gram.

Originally Posted by grocerylist
That went over my head

Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ In other words, someone wasted an awful lot of time doing tests and trying to sound all scientific when you could just go and purchase yourself a nice set of Hotchkis, Cobb, or even Eibach swaybars and not worry about the crap.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Another question, has anyone tested the Hotchkis on a sports suspension? Could you feel a major difference?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Huge difference. This and the MD spacer are the single most impressive mods. If I could only do 2 mods to the car they would be these 2.

The following users liked this post:
Ferrara (03-01-2012)
Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks Blue Dream, I'm still debating between the Hotchkis and MotorDyne's sways. Both are around $300-325 so the price difference isn't huge and I haven't been convinced by the hollow vs solid bar debate. Although I'm leaning towards Hotchkis mainly cuz so many people seem to like em.

And on your car. We share the blue dream

Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I just order eibach springs off of ebay for 284 and free shipping! i can't wait to put them on

Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fozzy fosbourne
Hoping some of you guys can help one of you 'X' brethren out with some advice.

So no one has made an aftermarket front sway for the X yet (and perhaps never?) and so I'm faced with the decision of just getting a rear sway.

Some dudes over in the v36 tech section have discovered that their X models have a larger front sway than the front sway on the RWD sedan, and a smaller rear sway as well; it looks like the X has been tuned to have a bit more understeer, likely because the car is expected to be driven in worse conditions. I'd like things to be more neutral, myself.

Specifically, here are the diameters:
RWD sway: front 26.8mm, rear 24.4mm
AWD sway: front 31.7mm, rear 17.7mm

Here is their thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-bra...ar-sizing.html

I'm not certain that my g35x 2006 sways are the same diameter as those 2007-2008s but I imagine it's a similar setup with a stiffer front.

So, keeping in mind that I won't be able to adjust the front sway, what sort of aftermarket rear sway should I look at? I'm guessing that I should try something that has a lowest setting that's near 'stock' since that even will be an increase over the stock AWD rear sway? Or will that not be as much of a deal since I already likely have a stiffer front sway?

I like what I hear about the newer hotchkis, but would be disappointed if their lowest setting still gave the X too much oversteer/waddle, since I believe their lowest setting is still 150+% of stock RWD sway.
I installed an Eibach rear sway on my 2006 G35x this weekend. I can definitely feel a difference. The whole car just feels more planted and solid. I put it on the softest setting. The directions say to separate an exhaust flange to get the new one on. I ended up snapping a stud because they were so rusted. Once I did that I scratched the new bar putting it in. I finally took off 2 nuts (that hold the rubber exhaust hangers on) and dropped the mid-pipe. It made the install way easier. I would have taken most of the exhaust off using those nuts because the exhaust flange nuts were so rusty.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
hey just got a 07 coupe with the sports suspension. Im really thinking about getting the Stillen Sways and Energy Bushings.

Two questions: worth upgrading on the sports suspension? and do the bushing need to be pressed?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Can someone explain the differences in the sway bar settings stiff/mid/soft?

I have my Hotchkis sways on my sedan right now at stiff front and med on the rear.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Max_Powers
Another question, has anyone tested the Hotchkis on a sports suspension? Could you feel a major difference?

My Sedan came with the sport suspension and i have my hotchkis on stiff front and med rear and i really dont feel too much difference but maybe i need to change settings.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe it is just me, but I cannot seem to find a Swaybar set for 2008 g35 (AWD). Anyone point me in the right direction? Stillen's site specifically says (Except AWD).....

Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Herbbie Hablib
Can someone explain the differences in the sway bar settings stiff/mid/soft?

I have my Hotchkis sways on my sedan right now at stiff front and med on the rear.

Thanks
Anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Summary!