G35/350Z aftermarket coilover, springs and shocks spec's w/updates

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the updated first post has come along nicely. after more than a month on my Cobb springs, I'm almost considering trying to find a pair of used Z H-tech front springs to give me a little more road clearance (H-tech rated at .3 drop vs .6 drop on a Z, slightly higher spring rate too). I have a front lip i want to put on, but with all of the scrapping Im getting now, I'd rather not waste the money. I'll at least wait to see if going to 19's will raise it enough like I hope.

For those curious, this is the Cobb 350Z setup matched with 350Z-spec Tokicos D-Specs (shorter rear strut), its also a bit lower due to 40-series sidewalls on OEM 18s.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by SuperStezzyG
Anyone got info on skunk2 lowering springs??
no info on them with the Z and G chassis, but they are the premier all budget tuner for Hondas, they've managed to stand the test of time with that crowd and I think that says a lot. I took a gamble with Cobb because they were new to the Z/G chassis, but I trusted their Subaru heritage and its paid off so far.

If you feel they offer the specs you want at the price you like, then give them a chance.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 05 sedan how do i know if i have sport suspension or not?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...quick question...

i got a 06' g35 sedan and im about to buy used 04 g35 sedan s tech drop spring....
can they fit right on?????

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
yes they will fit, but compare springs rate and drop measurements to be sure its what you want

Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G33z5on
...quick question...

i got a 06' g35 sedan and im about to buy used 04 g35 sedan s tech drop spring....
can they fit right on?????
so if 04 350z springs could fit on 06' g35 sedans...
can 04 350z coilovers fit 06' g35 sedan???
my friend told me they would fit, but im not really sure
could they fit?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 AM
yes the 350Z suspension components fit both the sedan and coupe versions of the G35, i think the only exceptions are AWD models and maybe some rear steer coupe models. Just note though, that what ever the publish drop measurements of the 350Z springs or coilovers etc are, they will lower the coupe and sedan substantially more. this is all covered pretty much in the first post of this thread.

for instance, I installed 350Z spec Cobb springs and Tokico D-specs. The springs were listed as a .6-in drop for the Z, this has come out to be about 1.1-in drop on my 04 coupe. For the tokico struts, the fronts are the same and the rates front and rear are the same as the G35 specific models, but the rear strut spec'd for the Z is 3/8-in shorter than the G35 coupe struts...otherwise replacement struts like the D-Specs or Koni's should be the same height as OEM components.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do some peoples 350Z H-tech seem lower than others g35 s-tech? I'm ordering 350z h-tech tomorrow, don't want it as low as s-tech.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Technically it takes a week or so for springs to settle into the rubber mounts of the suspension, so depending on when people take pics depends on how low they're car may appear. Sidewall height of the tires and offset of the wheels can also be big factors on how one might perceive the lowering effect of one springs drop to the next.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Bilstein PSS-10

Is any one running these on a sedan? I really like Bilstein stuff, but have benunable to get an answer on how much these will lower the sedan. I caled Bilstien, and they say they will lower the 350 one inch, an t highest setting, which would be two on a sedan. However I have seen listing saying that they can be set for stock height on a Z. The Bilstein tech had no info on how they would sit, on sedan.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 AM
So is the general impression a no on the Stance GR+ as a quality track coilover? I am mainly going to be doing daily driving with occasional AutoX and roadtracking (4-5 times a year).

Also for the rear coilover, does that mean there is no need for the spring in the OEM position? Is this safe? Does the "helper spring" the Stance GR+ pro come address this issue?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
So is the general impression a no on the Stance GR+ as a quality track coilover? I am mainly going to be doing daily driving with occasional AutoX and roadtracking (4-5 times a year).

Also for the rear coilover, does that mean there is no need for the spring in the OEM position? Is this safe? Does the "helper spring" the Stance GR+ pro come address this issue?
I can't answer all of your questions because I have zippy experience wit Stance, there are a few threads about them and about the difference between the OEM spring placement vs the true-coilover design stance uses. All I know about stance is they were a favorite amongst the 240SX crowds, but when they came out with apps for the Z the different spring location was a bit of a turn off for everyone.

As for the helper spring, its not there to compensate for the different spring position. Helper springs are used to act a softer initial rate when paired up with stiff springs or hard suspension mount systems (like pillow ball mounts vs OEM rubber mounts).

All i know about the different spring positions is that going from one to another has an obvious effect on how the leverage is applied to the suspension, so when the spring is in different locations vs stock, the rate should be changed in some way to compensate for it. it may also hurt tire clearance as coilovers often do.

Other suspensions out there will fit your needs, like BC, KW, Bilstein, hell even a Koni/spring setup would work. if you contact a BC sales rep you might even be able to get some custom valving if you want it more track aggressive.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GGRJR
Is any one running these on a sedan? I really like Bilstein stuff, but have been unable to get an answer on how much these will lower the sedan. I caled Bilstien, and they say they will lower the 350 one inch, an t highest setting, which would be two on a sedan. However I have seen listing saying that they can be set for stock height on a Z. The Bilstein tech had no info on how they would sit, on sedan.
I went back to my note's and found this pm exchange between myself and the reseller, Adam at Z1auto.com

I installed them with a eye towards seeing how much height the setup could get on my sedan. I did not set the front to the highest possible setting, I would guess that a additional 1/3" would be possible. I ended up with the following

Front -.4"
Rear -1"

So, the max height on a sedan would be -.1" (one tenth, not one inch) front and -1" rear. That being said, knowing how much or how little stoke the setup has, I would not set the car lower then -1 7/8" front and - 1 3/4" rear, which would be pretty close to the setups max drop anyhow.

I never tested the setup's max drop with the springs and rear height adjustment system. I pulled it after testing it and writting a review. http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...s9-review.html
After that I pulled the suspension because I bought the setup for the purpose of having it revalved and resprung (stiffer and all linear).

Old 06-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Asad_A203

Driver talent level is of far greater importance. Lot's of talanted people podium on gargage I can laugh at on the shock dyno. That's not to say you can't benefit from a product that actually can deliver and no that doesn't mean a product that this or that community of owners yack about. Greatness and worth is NOT measured that way. Think Ohlins, Penske, JRZ, Dynamic suspension, Truechoice Phase IV (on track ONLY)

Helper springs exist to allow greater drop heights then would otherwise be possible on setups that adjust height by spring preload, they utilize spring stiffness rates that are not capible of performing work, they keep the spring in place on lower preload settings. Stance say's they use them to effect rebound on lower drops, not possible because again a helper spring is not stiff enough to move the suspension or damper. Tender springs are another story and act like a progressive spring, which does not belong of a track or performance car.

Would I run Stance under your circumstances, NO. Would I install them if they were shipped to me for free no strings attached, NO. Theyd go straight to the shock dyno then to the marketplace for sale.

What would I consider?

Cusco Zero2
HKS III (not the sport model)
Kw Variant 2 (kept in the softer settings, no higher then half way and the rear progressive springs pulled and replaced with linear)
Bilstein Pss revalved and resprung (not the Pss10 because the adjustor's used by Bilstein have a unacceptable dynamic range [they act like on/off switches])

Old 06-14-2009, 07:32 AM
The Bilstein are the only ones in your list that seem to have OEM rears. I'd go truecoilover rear if I was strengthening the rear mounting points, as I am not, is it possible to get the cusco2 or HKS3 in OEM rear setups? are Ohlins DFV which are *** built & Valving, a good option? Like Asad above, my car will eventually be my DD with the occasional track day (2-4 p/a).

P.S. are the Ohlins the only aluminium body? a "lighter" coilover may be beneficial to keep down weight as I have 20" wheels (street use) on their way.

Last edited by mosoto; 06-14-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add info

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35/350Z aftermarket coilover, springs and shocks spec's w/updates