Suspension help please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Suspension help please?

I've been going through most of the threads on camber kits and sways and A-arms, camber arms, toe bolts, coilovers, springs, etc., etc., etc....

I'm not a newbie when it comes to suspension in the sense that i know every piece serves a purpose and varies on importance.

I have a 2000 Prelude with Tein Basics, SPC camber kit, ST Sways (front and rear) and it handles WELL over stock. I don't track the car, and i don't intend to with the G either. However, i do want the improved handling while keeping the comfort level of a daily driver.

With that being said, i'm looking for some answers on a few questions...

Coilovers: I'm torn between Tein basics and the CS. I've ridden in a sedan with the CS and i love how it feels very close to stock. The basics on my prelude are a little harsh for my tastes and i'm afraid it'll be the same end result with the G if i get the basics. So my question is, will the basics give me a comfy ride, or should i go with the CS? Also, if i get basics, will i need the stock upper mounts from the stock assembly (or any other parts)? This was the case in my prelude. I'm not concerned with the EDFC as that's just an unnecessary bonus if i do get the CS (which i will buy if i go that route )

Sways: i'm pretty set on Stillen. Great reviews from many on the board.

A-arms, camber arms, and toe bolts: Now, with the above mentioned suspension pieces, will i need these parts? I kinda shopped around online and these parts get pretty pricey. Also, i'm not fond of being out of camber/toe specs as 19" tires are expensive and i don't want to be paying for new tires every 5,000 miles. I'd much rather pay for suspension parts to fix the problem to save money in the long run. I want to be dropped about ~1 inch or less. I don't want to go any lower than that (just to eliminate some wheel gap). So i don't intend on being slammed. The reason why i'm asking is because i'm still unclear on how these parts affect/fix the camber issues that seem to haunt Gcoupe owners.

Again, i'm not looking for a track monster. Just a daily driver with a small drop for looks, and handling for the occasional "spirited" run.... but to ultimately eliminate the worry of camber/toe issues.

I apologize for the long post, but from my searches, i haven't found a thread that really encompasses all my questions.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:15 AM
No idea whats going on
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mostly you will probably have excessive tire wear on the rear. I know when I had the Tein Flex installed they brought it in as close to specs as they could but it was more the rear than the front that was further out of specs. After I had the front and rear camber arms installed, the car was easily brought well within specs so now I dont have to worry about tire wear.
So you will most likely want to get the rear camber arms to correct the rear camber. Most people on here will recommend the SPC rear camber kit.

Most people are still unsure about whether or not you need the toe bolts. The toe on my car was thrown out very little so I really didnt need to get them but I went ahead and did just to be safe.

For the front I didnt really have a problem but I went ahead and purchased some front camber arms so that I wouldnt have to worry about it in the long run. A lot of the camber arms that most people have bought are only bringing the car barely within specs except for the 350evo (very pricey) A-arms.
I had the same thing in mind with my suspension setup as what you want in yours; small drop and handling for some spirited driving.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, the missconception is that camber is the biggest problem. Toe actually wear tires out more than cambers. I'd suggest you get all of them to be on the safe side. I don't have any epxerience modding the G since I just got mine. But all my previous cars that I set up for autoX, suspension is one of the most important thing. That's why I researched very carefully.

I've read some of the review of the CS. People mentioned that they're for street use. The 350z crowds are also talking about Megan Racing coilover. They're cheaper than the CS (~ same as the basic or less) but handle better than the Tein Basics. Some new brand coilovers (I've heard from Honda & Acura people) also allows you to choose custom rates and valving to match it. I'd look into that as well.

Sway bar - I just installed my Eibachs and I like it a lot. I'd suggest getting a set of swaybars as #1 investment.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Day177017
I've been going through most of the threads on camber kits and sways and A-arms, camber arms, toe bolts, coilovers, springs, etc., etc., etc....

I'm not a newbie when it comes to suspension in the sense that i know every piece serves a purpose and varies on importance.

I have a 2000 Prelude with Tein Basics, SPC camber kit, ST Sways (front and rear) and it handles WELL over stock. I don't track the car, and i don't intend to with the G either. However, i do want the improved handling while keeping the comfort level of a daily driver.

With that being said, i'm looking for some answers on a few questions...

Coilovers: I'm torn between Tein basics and the CS. I've ridden in a sedan with the CS and i love how it feels very close to stock. The basics on my prelude are a little harsh for my tastes and i'm afraid it'll be the same end result with the G if i get the basics. So my question is, will the basics give me a comfy ride, or should i go with the CS? Also, if i get basics, will i need the stock upper mounts from the stock assembly (or any other parts)? This was the case in my prelude. I'm not concerned with the EDFC as that's just an unnecessary bonus if i do get the CS (which i will buy if i go that route )

Sways: i'm pretty set on Stillen. Great reviews from many on the board.

A-arms, camber arms, and toe bolts: Now, with the above mentioned suspension pieces, will i need these parts? I kinda shopped around online and these parts get pretty pricey. Also, i'm not fond of being out of camber/toe specs as 19" tires are expensive and i don't want to be paying for new tires every 5,000 miles. I'd much rather pay for suspension parts to fix the problem to save money in the long run. I want to be dropped about ~1 inch or less. I don't want to go any lower than that (just to eliminate some wheel gap). So i don't intend on being slammed. The reason why i'm asking is because i'm still unclear on how these parts affect/fix the camber issues that seem to haunt Gcoupe owners.

Again, i'm not looking for a track monster. Just a daily driver with a small drop for looks, and handling for the occasional "spirited" run.... but to ultimately eliminate the worry of camber/toe issues.

I apologize for the long post, but from my searches, i haven't found a thread that really encompasses all my questions.

Thanks everyone!
Based on your own words, get the CS. The only way I could see you going to Basics is if you pay for a set of softer (448lbs) springs to us instead of the 504lbs springs they come with. Even with the purchase of different springs, the Basics will still undercut the price of the CS setup. One setup does come to mind to mention to you and that is the HKS RS.

Basics do require that you reuse the front oem parts that are on top of the spring (meaning, the upper shock mounts, not sure about the dustsheild/bumpstops).

Stillen sway's are fine in your case, stick with that choice.

For front camber correction I would go with either EVO350 front arms or the Cusco arms. For the rear, SPC offer's a very cost effective solution that happen's to also use the proper oem toe adjusting system (but with increased range).

Old 02-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35

I've read some of the review of the CS. People mentioned that they're for street use. The 350z crowds are also talking about Megan Racing coilover. They're cheaper than the CS (~ same as the basic or less) but handle better than the Tein Basics. Some new brand coilovers (I've heard from Honda & Acura people) also allows you to choose custom rates and valving to match it. I'd look into that as well.
Having reviewed the Megan racing coilovers on my car for OptionImports and Megan racing, I am in a unique postion to reply. While I feel a certain level of gratitude because they sent me the shocks without cost, this doesn't get past my sense of integrity and honestly. In short, their no way that I would say that the Megan Racing coilover's will out handle the Basics. The Megan's are a excellent example of a computer designed product that specs well, but is devoid of any real actual R&D drive time developement to get the product really right, and let's face it that type of R&D work cost's money to do. So that's why the review I wrote on the Megan coilovers focused on dampning, in short they are not fully cooked in the development oven to the point that other products that ARE sorted out are a better choice. And that's not to say that I couldn't understand how a guy that doesn't know what bad behavior is won't come out and say the Megan's are as good or better then the likes of Tein or HKS ect. They're ok, but not world beating.

Custom rates in springs and valving are only as good as the weakest link in the process. It's all too easy to get yourself into something that is worse vs a improvement. Though ironically, I do have a mind to reinstall the Megan coilovers and run them with 448lbs front and 342lbs rear vs 560/448.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 02-07-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses thus far. All opinions and info are helping out a great deal.

As far as camber/toe issues go, i'm surprised the components costs so much. I guess that comes with the territory of higher end cars.

I agree toe is more of a factor in uneven tire wear, but i want zero/even wear. Is there a cheaper alternative to the Cusco/350Evo/Stillen arms? I'm not one to sacrifice quality for cost. Just seeing if there are other alternatives other than what i know so far.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the responses thus far. All opinions and info are helping out a great deal.

As far as camber/toe issues go, i'm surprised the components costs so much. I guess that comes with the territory of higher end cars.

I agree toe is more of a factor in uneven tire wear, but i want zero/even wear. Is there a cheaper alternative to the Cusco/350Evo/Stillen arms? I'm not one to sacrifice quality for cost. Just seeing if there are other alternatives other than what i know so far.

Central20 has a front camber arm product out that undercut's Cusco's price point. BUT, every single picture to date of the product depicts oem upper arms, even their Japaneese web site. Until I see pics of the actual arm's, I'll pass. http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=3616

SPC is in R&D for thier own front camber arm product. But they have let it be known that they will align their price to be simular to Cusco's.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Not trying to jack your thread, but can someone point me to somewhere where I can get the 350evo front camber arms?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Old 02-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by haze
Not trying to jack your thread, but can someone point me to somewhere where I can get the 350evo front camber arms?
By all means, please do!

SPC rear camber arms and toe bolts look like winners to me. Price point is good and it takes care of two issues in one swing.

As for the front camber A-arms... is this part a big issue with a minimal drop? Say about 1"? Also, do the fronts have problems with toe being out of spec? And if so, is there something for that as well?

Old 02-08-2006, 07:24 AM
If you drop 1", youll be out of spec, front and rear. Toe can be adjusted up front w/o mods, but youll need a arms to get the camber in. I aligned after drop of about 3/4" and camber was -2.5ish, put on the 350Evo arms and everything is within spec.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Having reviewed the Megan racing coilovers on my car for OptionImports and Megan racing, I am in a unique postion to reply. While I feel a certain level of gratitude because they sent me the shocks without cost, this doesn't get past my sense of integrity and honestly. In short, their no way that I would say that the Megan Racing coilover's will out handle the Basics. The Megan's are a excellent example of a computer designed product that specs well, but is devoid of any real actual R&D drive time developement to get the product really right, and let's face it that type of R&D work cost's money to do. So that's why the review I wrote on the Megan coilovers focused on dampning, in short they are not fully cooked in the development oven to the point that other products that ARE sorted out are a better choice. And that's not to say that I couldn't understand how a guy that doesn't know what bad behavior is won't come out and say the Megan's are as good or better then the likes of Tein or HKS ect. They're ok, but not world beating.

Custom rates in springs and valving are only as good as the weakest link in the process. It's all too easy to get yourself into something that is worse vs a improvement. Though ironically, I do have a mind to reinstall the Megan coilovers and run them with 448lbs front and 342lbs rear vs 560/448.

Thanks for the clarification. I spoke of that because of some other's people reviews as well, not just from your review. Ironically, some of the 350z owners said that they like the megans better than the Tein basic?? Also, from the 240s and other people, they rumored that the Megan Racing coilover is rebadged buddyclub, which is decent. That also ventured into the actualy R&D that you were talking about because we know that buddyclub actually spent time into design, and extreme R&D into their products. They wouldn't compare the MR to the Tein CS or Flex, but for the Basic, majority of them said that they've driven in both and like MR betters.

However, I, myself, am still skeptical about MR products, given that I've had a bad experience with their headers for my previous car. That's why, I found it hard to believe the their coilovers are good.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm partial to Teins anyway, #1 because i actually got seat time with the CS on a G35 (sedan...but i think it'll be bery similar), #2 because i like having the EDFC option, and #3 i already own Teins and i think their quality is there. Although like i said in a earlier post, i have them on my 2000 prelude and they ride a little too harsh for me.

Can someone verify if the Basics are similar to the stock ride? Or does it rattle your brains? I really do not want to sacrifice ride quality.

On the HKS RS, how does that compare to the Basics and the CS?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
Thanks for the clarification. I spoke of that because of some other's people reviews as well, not just from your review. Ironically, some of the 350z owners said that they like the megans better than the Tein basic?? Also, from the 240s and other people, they rumored that the Megan Racing coilover is rebadged buddyclub, which is decent. That also ventured into the actualy R&D that you were talking about because we know that buddyclub actually spent time into design, and extreme R&D into their products. They wouldn't compare the MR to the Tein CS or Flex, but for the Basic, majority of them said that they've driven in both and like MR betters.

However, I, myself, am still skeptical about MR products, given that I've had a bad experience with their headers for my previous car. That's why, I found it hard to believe the their coilovers are good.
Theirs only one other Megan review that I've ever seen on a Z or G besides mine and while I will agree that vs his 03 oem Z ride quality that the Megan setup is a improvement, if he were given a back to back vs Basics I'll place money on which which setup he will prefer. Simply put, based on what my own extensive testing uncovered vs multiple Basic owner review reports, their's no way that the Megan product is better then the Basics. Though I'll be the first to say that not everyone knows what is good behavior and what is bad. I did read multiple 240 review's of the Megan's on their cars, as well as on a couple S2000 boards. At least one S2000 owner review closely mirror's my review, nice but underdampned.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm partial to Teins anyway, #1 because i actually got seat time with the CS on a G35 (sedan...but i think it'll be bery similar), #2 because i like having the EDFC option, and #3 i already own Teins and i think their quality is there. Although like i said in a earlier post, i have them on my 2000 prelude and they ride a little too harsh for me.

Can someone verify if the Basics are similar to the stock ride? Or does it rattle your brains? I really do not want to sacrifice ride quality.

On the HKS RS, how does that compare to the Basics and the CS?
The following is based on your car being a 05 6MT coupe, if that is wrong, please speak up.

Many G35 Basics review's have pointed out a feeling that the setup has a "like stock" ride quality. However, given that the setup uses much stiffer springs IMO saying that it's firmer then oem is really in order. Though what they are saying likely has to do with very good dampning control, which is the key ingrediant to a good suspension. Really, if I were seek out another G owner close to you that has Basics and ask for a ride along.

The following specs differ to reflect how a 05 6MT differ's oem suspension wise. I'm posting the specs so you can see the spring stiffnesses vs stock.

Tein CS (Monotube constructionad, adjustable dampners )
Special Note: A comfort ride system compare to HKS LS.They are valved and sprung to fulfill their intended mission of offering up improved ride comfort. More specifically their valving will impact the performance they can deliver. And to add, revalving them is extremely expensive if you find they are too soft for you. If you want performance, pick a different Tein offering or pick a different brand.
Spring rates 392/392
Stiffer or softer then oem by F+25% R-8%

Tein Basic (twin tube construction, non adjustable dampners )
Spring rates 504/504
Stiffer then oem by F+61% R+18%
If a simple $130 change in front springs is done to 448lbs F+43% R+18%
Side Note: Excellent value at it’s price point, drop's sedan's more then some of us care for.

How does the RS compare to the CS and Basic? The setup would slot in between the two ride and drive wise. Both the Basic and the RS both have many extreamly positive review's that you can search for and read on my350Z.com or on G35driver.

HKS RS (Monotube construction, adjustable dampning)
448/448 F+43% R+5%

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension help please?