GTSPEC Bars fit on Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Modded Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas79
I'm glad I wasn't the only on who experienced the handling issues. I installed everything but the lateral brace and discovered the wierd handling. I had to set my Stillen sways down one setting to get the car to behave. Movement on one side of the car would updet the entire car causeing me to wobble left and right. Now that I kicked them down a notch, the wheel hop went away and the car isn't twitchy anymore.
I have yet to install these, but what settings did you have before/after on your Stillen sways?

Old 05-15-2006, 02:29 PM
I had to set my Stillen sways down one setting to get the car to behave.
Please tell us the before and after settings...

I have not changed my settings and have no issues with the setup other than some slight oversteer which on dry pavement is fine. Its the wet I am concerned about.

When intially testing I felt as though the car was on edge but really I just needed to get used to feeling everything more profoundly and get used to the new steering feel. I was testing that day over some very rough sufaces and simply not used to the all the feedback. There SHOULD be an adjustment period for you to get used to the new and improved feel of the steering and perceived twitcyness that I believe comes from better turn in.

I am holding off on changing anything until I get new tires. For now and very happy with the bars and like the firmer feel they offer the ride and I really enjoy the enhanced feel, turn in, and tortional rigidity.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by SixFive
Please tell us the before and after settings...
I apoligize, I never added the details for my statement (sucks when you try to update things while at work, lol)

I had my sways set to stiff for both ends. When I had initially set them that way, the car felt great. Then I put the braces on. I drove for almost two months with the braces on and the sways set to stiff and the car pretty much didn't lean which was great. Although I started to notice that when taking some turns the car felt like it was skating through the turn. Driving on the freeway started to feel wierd because the car felt like it wanted to go every other direction when it encountered a bump. I set the sways to medium for both ends and the car is alot more stable. The suspension feels like it has room to work now, but I did come to another conclusion...

...I think the skating twitchy problem I was encountering would be remedied with new shocks. I don't think the (40K mile) stockers can control all of the movement now that the suspension is forced to work since the body isn't flexing as much. Also the problem seemed to be getting progressively worse. Once I get some new shocks, I'll try it again. Didn't mean to ramble on...

Old 05-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This is good stuff. I think the suspension is working harder and those shocks may not be tuned for such a rigid setup as you suggest. Maybe springs are an issue as well? I like my set up now with a stock front bar and a medium rear bar. Still wondering what the 4 point brace would do for this car...

Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Modded Member
Thanks Vegas for the clarification. I found the "stiff" settings on the Stillen sways to be too rigid, so mine have been set to medium F/R. Hopefully these settings will mate well with my GTSpec tie bars.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have my Hotchkis set to Medium/Medium and it's plenty firm. i only notice that i'm jumping sideways while going over a bump if i'm taking a turn.

for bay area folks: going south on 101 from SF, take 380 south exit, then 280 south exit - that long sweeping curve to the left, slight tilted. very nice. i usually take it going 90-100, with no wheel squeel, very little body roll, and no squirminess - just a couple of jitters going over bumps. i tried that same curve in a rental saturn ion, and OMFG going 60 i thought i was going to fall over.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by codeflux
I have my Hotchkis set to Medium/Medium and it's plenty firm. i only notice that i'm jumping sideways while going over a bump if i'm taking a turn.

for bay area folks: going south on 101 from SF, take 380 south exit, then 280 south exit - that long sweeping curve to the left, slight tilted. very nice. i usually take it going 90-100, with no wheel squeel, very little body roll, and no squirminess - just a couple of jitters going over bumps. i tried that same curve in a rental saturn ion, and OMFG going 60 i thought i was going to fall over.
So you are saying that you get this little sideways hop now that you have added the GTSpec bars? Any other detriment to them, or are you really satisfied with how they perform?

Old 05-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
So you are saying that you get this little sideways hop now that you have added the GTSpec bars? Any other detriment to them, or are you really satisfied with how they perform?
no, i had the wheel hop even before the bars. now it's a stiffer hop, very controlled, barely noticeable. i am very pleased with the bars - where it does make the most difference is driving in the city, taking turns. the chassis feels a lot more solid with these. dude, just do it, you'll love it. took ZCG about 30 minutes to put them on, and both Rob and Rico were very impressed with them.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by codeflux
no, i had the wheel hop even before the bars. now it's a stiffer hop, very controlled, barely noticeable. i am very pleased with the bars - where it does make the most difference is driving in the city, taking turns. the chassis feels a lot more solid with these. dude, just do it, you'll love it. took ZCG about 30 minutes to put them on, and both Rob and Rico were very impressed with them.
I ordered them in early April, and they just arrived at my office right now. I'm installing them the minute I get home today, just wanted to get your input.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
So how's that install going?

Old 05-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Modded Member
So how's that install going?
Too tired today. I'll do it tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Oh, the story of my life....

I've had the 350Evo sways and front A-arms for 13 months boxed in my shed. I now have the GtSpec bars sitting next to them. All of which are sitting next to my V710's which is sitting next to the Enkei wheels which is sitting next to...

I'm just too damned tired! I need an assistant.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by myG35ZX
Oh, the story of my life....

I've had the 350Evo sways and front A-arms for 13 months boxed in my shed. I now have the GtSpec bars sitting next to them. All of which are sitting next to my V710's which is sitting next to the Enkei wheels which is sitting next to...

I'm just too damned tired! I need an assistant.
LOL..... got to get those priorities sorted out

Old 05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
This is good stuff. I think the suspension is working harder and those shocks may not be tuned for such a rigid setup as you suggest. Maybe springs are an issue as well? I like my set up now with a stock front bar and a medium rear bar. Still wondering what the 4 point brace would do for this car...
I too have been wondering what the 4 point brace would do for this car. I wish there was a local distributor here (I live in Tampa, FL). Id go and see how it would fit. The wondering and speculation is killing me.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm sure it will fit - you just have to drill some holes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTSPEC Bars fit on Sedan