Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi George,

What is the purpose of the P21S Paintwork Cleanser? Does it replace washing with dawn or using isopropyl alcohol to remove old wax and sealant? Does it act as a finishing polish?

Also what is the best way to apply the Natty's paste wax since it is a bit hard to get my microfiber round applicator into that container?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by erdog
Hi George,

What is the purpose of the P21S Paintwork Cleanser? Does it replace washing with dawn or using isopropyl alcohol to remove old wax and sealant? Does it act as a finishing polish?

Also what is the best way to apply the Natty's paste wax since it is a bit hard to get my microfiber round applicator into that container?
P21S Paintwork Cleanser is an ultra fine finishing polish that has the objective to strip off previous coats of protection and to provide an optimal base for a sealant or wax to bond to. On a random orbital such as a Porter Cable 7424, it won't do much as far as removing swirls and imperfections but can brighten the paint by removing oxidation or very minor imperfections. This is a great product for detailers that properly maintain their vehicle (as far as minimizing adding imperfections) but would like to polish their paint to achieve a properly prepped surface.

Regarding the applicator pad, bulky applicators can be difficult to work with especially in certain wax containers. I use a standard foam applicator pad because they tend to be more flexible than other types of applicators.

Regardless what applicator is used, less is more, I cannot stress this enough. A swipe or two across the paste wax is all that is needed for a panel or two. With all the Natty's waxes, I find that the best method is to apply a panel and remove it almost instantly. I've played around with applying the wax to the entire vehicle then removing and found that it can harden up quite quickly and removal can become difficult or needs to be aided with a quick detailer or some distilled water.

Let me know if this helps. Good hearing from you.

George

Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
osiris32, good question. You certainly can do without the products specifically for cleaning pads. You can substitute the foam conditioning brush with a medium bristle tooth brush and you can soak the pads in any type of degreaser, such as the Snappy Clean you mentioned.

The key to getting the most out of your pads is clean them immediately after using them. The longer you let the pads sit and let the product cake up, the harder it is to clean. Having clean pads is critical to maximizing your results with any detail.

You can spin the pads at a low speed while gently brushing the foam pads with the toothbrush. This will help remove loose product build up from the pad. Afterwards, I usually let them soak in a degreaser for 10 - 15 mins, wring them out, working the product out of the pad with your thumbs and fingers, let them re-soak one more time. When done, give them one more good wring and you want to let them air dry completely before storing them in labeled Ziploc bags so no contamination can get to them.

Hope this helps.

George
Thank you very much George.
How ever the pads i got has the velcro backing, will wringing it out damage the velcro?

Thanks again

Old 09-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info...I love the smell of the Natty's Red. A little fruity though...haha.

It just took me four hours to wash, clay, polish with P21S, FMJ, Natty's Red by hand. I was going to put on 2 layers of FMJ but I was too tired.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by osiris32
Thank you very much George.
How ever the pads i got has the velcro backing, will wringing it out damage the velcro?

Thanks again
It shouldn't, not with the Lake Country Pads we offer. I have seen some lower quality pads not hold up to a citrus degreaser, like Snappy Clean, but I believe that company stopped offering those pads due to that defect. Snappy Clean is actually made by Lake Country so they are designed to work together just fine.

Originally Posted by erdog
Thanks for the info...I love the smell of the Natty's Red. A little fruity though...haha.

It just took me four hours to wash, clay, polish with P21S, FMJ, Natty's Red by hand. I was going to put on 2 layers of FMJ but I was too tired.
How was the end result? Any pictures of your hard work? Natty's Red does smell very very strawberry, haha.

George

Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM

How was the end result? Any pictures of your hard work? Natty's Red does smell very very strawberry, haha.

George
Will try to post once I put on my rims, hopefully today.

Edit:

Pics of my detail session posted.

4 hour hand detail: Wash with Meguire's, Clay with Mother's, Prep with P21S Paintwork Cleanser, Protect with FMJ and a coat of Natty's Red, Wheels protected with Poorboy's wheel sealant. Phew!!!

Attached Thumbnails Ask a Professional Detailer...-dsc01033.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-dsc01034.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-dsc01036.jpg  

Last edited by erdog; 09-27-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Photos posted above

Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Regardless what applicator is used, less is more, I cannot stress this enough. A swipe or two across the paste wax is all that is needed for a panel or two. With all the Natty's waxes, I find that the best method is to apply a panel and remove it almost instantly. I've played around with applying the wax to the entire vehicle then removing and found that it can harden up quite quickly and removal can become difficult or needs to be aided with a quick detailer or some distilled water.

I had that problem with the red. After doing my hood, fenders and front doors I found that one section at a time was easier.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Grocery getter

Thanks again George. After all that work, the results are quite nice.

Don't mind me looking like a dork in the pic.

These are raw pics, no photoshop or modification in any way. From my camera to photobucket to here.

-Tim

Last edited by ttrank; 04-03-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:31 AM
wow geezzz that's so pretty it almost looks like you black chromed your car.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Tim & erdog,

Thank you both for sharing your results, both vehicles look stunning! It's nice to see that Poorboy's Natty's Red Paste Wax looks great on both light and dark colored vehicles.

erdog - your white has a very nice glow to it that shows a lot of depth and gloss. This is often difficult to achieve on lighter colored vehicles, nice work!

Tim - the depth and reflection on your black car is mind boggling. It does look black chrome. Dare I ask how many hours you spent detailing your car? Amazing work!

Thank you both for sharing.

George

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Grocery getter

Tim - the depth and reflection on your black car is mind boggling. It does look black chrome. Dare I ask how many hours you spent detailing your car? Amazing work!

Thank you. I was very happy with the results.

I spent about 4 hours on the wash/poilish/seal. Then a week later I washed, waxed, and polished/waxed the wheels which took another two hours.

I can't believe I didn't get a PC before. The results are soooo much better than anything I have ever been able to do by hand.

I have one side question for you. The two orange pads I used are recessed in (they have a dip or bowl shape) as where the other white, black and blue pads I have are flush. Is that because you need to use more pressure with the orange or was there something wrong with those?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by ttrank
I have one side question for you. The two orange pads I used are recessed in (they have a dip or bowl shape) as where the other white, black and blue pads I have are flush. Is that because you need to use more pressure with the orange or was there something wrong with those?

Thanks,
Tim
Tim - They are designed that way so you can provide more pressure along the outer part of the pad. When using the orange (or yellow variable contact pads), you want to apply the product along the edge of the pad. It helps provide more cutting ability to remove imperfections.

A PC 7424 is definitely a solid investment for any car enthusiast.

Thanks again for sharing pictures of your hard work. The wheels look stunning as well and really complete the detail.

George

Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
osiris32, good question. You certainly can do without the products specifically for cleaning pads. You can substitute the foam conditioning brush with a medium bristle tooth brush and you can soak the pads in any type of degreaser, such as the Snappy Clean you mentioned.

George
I have placed an order for the snappy cleaners but they wont get here until next week. so in the mean time what would you recommend me using to clean the pads. i really do want to get started this weekend and not wait til the cleaner get here next week.

thanks.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Grocery getter

Tim - They are designed that way so you can provide more pressure along the outer part of the pad. When using the orange (or yellow variable contact pads), you want to apply the product along the edge of the pad. It helps provide more cutting ability to remove imperfections.

OK, that was what I did. I had just never seen that info before.

Thanks,
Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...