Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Car shifting like crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car shifting like crap

In the morning when I take off for work, I give my car 30 seconds to warm up and I take off very slow. I usually shift to second around 5-10 mph range. Whenever I go to second gear it doesn't want to go in, I need to pull it 10x harder than say shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. If I put the car in neutral as I go over a speed bump and want to go back into second gear, it is tough also, sometimes its easier just to go to 3rd to avoid fighting it. Once the engine temp gets up the same shift becomes easier, still not smooth by any means but much easier.

So I took it to the dealer, described the problem. The guy was a complete freaking tool as all inifiniti service reps usually are. They kept the car over night and drove it in the morning. The service guy calls me up and says "since you have an understanding of cars you will have an appreciation for what I am about to tell you, the reason the car is shifting smoother when it is warm is because the oil in the transmission warms up and becomes less sludgey." I said to him (in disbelief at how stupid he was), "well was the car shifting smooth, or did you notice the symptoms I described?" He said it was nothing abnormal or to make them think the car needed repairs. He than began to ask if I have had my car properly serviced, engine oil, transmission oil, radiator flush (wtf does that have to do with my tranmission?)? I told him I did all work on the car as necessary. Tranny fluid was changed at 40k. Oil changed with synthetic every 4-5k miles. Anyways I told him if I could bring in a similar year and miled G35 would they take that into consideration if it displayed no characteristics that mine does. He said he'd have to talk to the service manager.

So I picked up my car and told him I would return with service records and to get the seals around my windows replaced since they are shrinking. I think I may just take my car to Tustin infiniti (went to Mission Viejo). If anyone has any ideas let me know. I think this is a synchro problem, but the dealer was also trying to blame it on my clutch. My clutch seems fine to me, I have no problem shifting into any other gear, only going into second and the car still takes off great, no problems with clutch engagement.

Sorry for the long post, just wondering what you guys think is wrong or if anyone had similar problems.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had similar problems. If its not grinding, but notchy and harder to get into gear, its not a syncro problem, its the trans fluid. Oem fluid seems to like to get warmed up before smooth opearation occurs. Many swap out for redline or other synth trans blends.

Regarding the window seal, have u had leakage problems, or do the seals just visually look like they have shrunk? How old is ur car?

And what happened to ur shoulder in ur avatar? That indeed looks like it hurt.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 03-16-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
ive had similar problems. If its not grinding, but notchy and harder to get into gear, its not a syncro problem, its the trans fluid. Oem fluid seems to like to get warmed up before smooth opearation occurs. Many swap out for redline or other synth trans blends.

Regarding the window seal, have u had leakage problems, or do the seals just visually look like they have shrunk? How old is ur car?

And what happened to ur shoulder in ur avatar? That indeed looks like it hurt.
I changed my tranny fluid at 40k, I only have 48k on the car now, its an 05 I bought in January 05. I guess I could try another tranny fluid, but i dont think that the fluid would make ONLY second gear difficult.

Its just visually shrunk, but I figure why not make them fix it. Its not very visually appealing.

Broke the collar bone on my street bike going to work

Old 03-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickk6
I changed my tranny fluid at 40k, I only have 48k on the car now, its an 05 I bought in January 05. I guess I could try another tranny fluid, but i dont think that the fluid would make ONLY second gear difficult.
You'd be surprised the difference in certain brands of transmission oil. I've changed to amsoil from whatever it was in the transmission before and i have to say, it's much better overall.

It really depends on the weather too. Seems like many people have better luck with OEM or amsoil where they get cold and hot weather. From reading around, it seems like Redline or Royal Purple do better in only warm areas.

Couldn't hurt to try changing the fluids first. It's better than paying more money for some extensive labor that might not even be the cause.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I had nissan fluids put in. Where would I get some of the redline or royal puple?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nickk6, Did you ever get this tranny figured out. I have a 2005 6 speed that has the same problem. It only has 48k miles on it.

In the morning it is tough to get into gear. Then when it warms up 2nd to 3rd isn't so smooth. I have taken it the closest dealer a few times over the past year and had the mechanic drive it when warm and he says this is how they all drive. Of course I ask to compare it to another car and they always say we never have this car on the lot.

So, I finally took the car to another dealer about 25 miles away. Left it there over night, got a loaner, and I get a call today saying that the mechanic drove it in the morning and didn't notice anything. I had no words.. So, I am running up there tomorrow morning to go with the mechanic in the morning. Wtf, I almost asked the service manager on the phone if he thought I was lying.

Anyways, I guess I will know more tomorrow, but let me know how and if you ever solved the problem. There is still a powertrain warranty until Jan 2011, but still want to get it solved..

Charlie

Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I've heard that people have had success in alleviating this problem to some degree by using a stiffer transmission mount.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any more input on this issue? I changed my tranny fluid to Amsoil about 4 months ago, and once it started to cool down, I noticed that shifting into 1st and 2nd were extra difficult first thing in the morning, especially if the car was rolling at all. Come to a complete stop and it is often easier. Once it's warmed up, it goes into all gears just fine.

I am using Amsoil Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 75W-90
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

It has several other options for Gear oil...
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

I may swap fluids again if you guys think it should help.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Joe Mac