Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

My review of the 4.083 Final Drive Gears

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My review of the 4.083 Final Drive Gears

Okay so today was a long day, woke up at 6am, got ready by 7am and breakfast and hit the road by 8am with my friend. Arrived at the installation place (SRT in Beltsville, MD) talked to Moe and dropped my car off. This was around 9:15am. Whole day goes by, me and my friend are running around Beltsville all day eating Subway, drinking Robeks and just goofing off. Finally time comes around 5:45pm to finally pick up my car!

So I pay, for anyone wondering it costed me $495.00 only because the bearing on my G35 was really hard to remove and they had to take it to an another shop to get it removed, otherwise it usually runs for about $380.00 dollars to get it installed. Anyways... on to the good stuff..

HOLY F*CK!

The car pulls like no other, I don't know how to explain it -- it really makes the G35 that much more fun to drive, sure the revs are up a little but honestly you're not wasting that much more gas, it's nothing.

The G35 should have came like this stock. The first time I mashed it, I never felt my car lift and just fling me wherever my heart pleases. Like Aceman said... like people with F/I... the smile you get after mashing it, is the same smile I got.

This is also my first "performance" modification on my G, and already I know it is by far the best money I have spent so far. I have no plans on going F/I so these gears really suit me well.

If you have any doubt in your mind about this modification, drop it. There is nothing to worry or yap about -- the G really grew some ***** with this modification.

As you can see, I am very pleased with this as my first modification -- matter of fact I suggest anyone that is planning to stay N/A, get this mod -- and get it FAST.

Thanks to Adam from Z1 for helping me get it quickly, thanks to Aceman for discovering this and sharing this gem the community and thanks to _jb for helping me throughout all this.

and to end this review... Gentlemen...START YOUR ENGINES!! THE MODDING CRAZE HAS JUST BEGUN!

The following users liked this post:
AmericanEvil (12-01-2011)
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$500 install, but what other costs were involved for parts?

Sounds awesome!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much were the gears also?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Andy from Z1 will take care of you guys, http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2833

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Nice, does the 4.083 R&P from 240sx fit? Their diff. is R200 unit also.

and what's your rpm now cruising @ 80mph with 6th gear?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
nice to hear. This mod is in my future for sure.
BTW how much shorter is ur first gear?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
only for 6MT's huh?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
nice to hear. This mod is in my future for sure.
BTW how much shorter is ur first gear?
Quite short, and quite an feast when you mash it! (Same goes for every gear! )

Originally Posted by gunluvS14
Nice, does the 4.083 R&P from 240sx fit? Their diff. is R200 unit also.

and what's your rpm now cruising @ 80mph with 6th gear?
I don't see a reason it wont, all I know is the gears people have installed are from a Nissan Frontier.

All the information for gear ratios/speeds can be found in this thread: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301451

Originally Posted by chinabean
only for 6MT's huh?
Most automatics do 3.9 ratios, and they will loose cruise control. Another reason why 6MT's rock!

If you guys have any other questions let me know!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I find that the stock 6MT already has a very short 1st gear. I can't even imagine how short it would be with 4.0 FD

Sounds like fun, but at the same time, having such a short 1st gear doesn't sound like something I would want to drive everyday...atleast for me.

Your gas milage will definately take a significant hit at highway cruising speeds.

I definately want to drive someone's G/Z with 4.0's just to feel the difference.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
... do you WOT first gear everytime or something? I barely use my first casually driving... I cant wait to do this mod... but need an idea as to how she feels... Anyone in NorCali got these on? lets go for a spin...

Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey I'm trying to get this done up in Jersey but I keep getting the run-around by some shop here. I ask them for a quote, they ask me for a part number. I tell them I'll buy it and bring it there and they said it would be $800 install... Any decent shops in North Jersey other than MRC, not having much luck with them.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I find that the stock 6MT already has a very short 1st gear. I can't even imagine how short it would be with 4.0 FD

Sounds like fun, but at the same time, having such a short 1st gear doesn't sound like something I would want to drive everyday...atleast for me.

Your gas milage will definately take a significant hit at highway cruising speeds.

I definately want to drive someone's G/Z with 4.0's just to feel the difference.

It is very fun, the stock 3.5 gears are very long in my opinion. The revup G is geared too high from the factory. The G37 comes with 3.70 rear end gears and the G35 could use them too. The 4.083 final drive just takes the fun a step further. So far I put quite a bit of highway cruising miles and if anything, it dropped maybe 1-2mpg, nothing earth shattering. I cruise around 60-70 anyways, and if I am going over 80, I already have an personal agenda.

I let my friend with Z-Tube/Plenum/MREV2+ (Basic N/A Modifications) etc, take my G for a spin and he said he almost **** himself and regretted not getting the 4.083 final drive gears earlier. He said the difference was huge! He was quite jealous too!

Originally Posted by shabarivas
... do you WOT first gear everytime or something? I barely use my first casually driving... I cant wait to do this mod... but need an idea as to how she feels... Anyone in NorCali got these on? lets go for a spin...
+2 Ha! Yeah, I barely go past 2500rpms on first gear, usually am in 2nd by then anyways. If you think stock 1st gear had *****...you're in for a rude awakening!

Originally Posted by BrocksG
Hey I'm trying to get this done up in Jersey but I keep getting the run-around by some shop here. I ask them for a quote, they ask me for a part number. I tell them I'll buy it and bring it there and they said it would be $800 install... Any decent shops in North Jersey other than MRC, not having much luck with them.
Hmm, try hitting up the regional forum on My350z, that is how I found the shop I brought my car to. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
haha looks like im def getting these done... Only question is.. is it worth voiding warranty over? sounds like it is but what do ppl think?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by shabarivas
haha looks like im def getting these done... Only question is.. is it worth voiding warranty over? sounds like it is but what do ppl think?
Who says this will void any warranties?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like this is the only mod i am missing for the 335/E46 M3 to smell my test pipes.

The following users liked this post:
dphillips2011 (02-17-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My review of the 4.083 Final Drive Gears