DIY: Power steering and Alternator/ Air conditioning belt change

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Beni B
Hello,

I changed my belts as well on my 04 G35. However, they make a 5 second sqeeking noise when the car starts. The noise occures once in a while when the car stars and not all the time. I am not sure if I tightent the pully too tight. Has anyone else experienced this problem? After I heard the noise I got under the car again and tried to adjust the tensioner so it is not too tight. The noise is still there.

You might have gotten some grease on the pulleys or the belts. Another possibility is that you aren't using OEM belts (I've heard aftermarket belts do what you described before).

Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did use aftermarket belts. I will purchase some OEMs. Thank you for your reply.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Beni B
Hello,

I changed my belts as well on my 04 G35. However, they make a 5 second sqeeking noise when the car starts. The noise occures once in a while when the car stars and not all the time. I am not sure if I tightent the pully too tight. Has anyone else experienced this problem? After I heard the noise I got under the car again and tried to adjust the tensioner so it is not too tight. The noise is still there.

Yeah, I had this same problem when I changed my belts about 3 months ago.

I wasn't sure if I over tightened it or if it was too loose. I gave the belts a little feel with my finger and took a guess that it could use a little more tightening. So a week later, I found some free time and tighten it. So far so good, the noise went away. BUT.....

It's funny how this came up today though, it squeaked on me earlier today(after 3 months of squeak free). I'll probably try next weekend to check the belt tension(again). Anyway, best thing to do is borrow a tension gauge if you don't trust your own guess from pushing down on the belt with your finger.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
Yeah, I had this same problem when I changed my belts about 3 months ago.

I wasn't sure if I over tightened it or if it was too loose. I gave the belts a little feel with my finger and took a guess that it could use a little more tightening. So a week later, I found some free time and tighten it. So far so good, the noise went away. BUT.....

It's funny how this came up today though, it squeaked on me earlier today(after 3 months of squeak free). I'll probably try next weekend to check the belt tension(again). Anyway, best thing to do is borrow a tension gauge if you don't trust your own guess from pushing down on the belt with your finger.
I had changed the drive belts about three months ago but now the belts was making noise due to the cold weather. I notice that every time i start the car, the noise arise. Today, i had removed the cover and tighten the ac belt bolt and loosen (i over tighten the pulley) the pulley bolt a little bit. The noise seem to goes away but I would have check tomorrow morning to see if the noise still exist.

So do not over tighten the pulley bolt and adjust the ac belt bolt for winter.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by s2k_g35
I had changed the drive belts about three months ago but now the belts was making noise due to the cold weather. I notice that every time i start the car, the noise arise. Today, i had removed the cover and tighten the ac belt bolt and loosen (i over tighten the pulley) the pulley bolt a little bit. The noise seem to goes away but I would have check tomorrow morning to see if the noise still exist.

So do not over tighten the pulley bolt and adjust the ac belt bolt for winter.
or just follow the torque/tightening specs from the start

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
mine squeaked first start and taht was it... probably grease from off my hands but i have heard that diff belts will squeak on start

Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 AM
hey guys, i have 06 with 30,xxx miles. Do you guys recommend the drive + ac belt changed? Just looked at the belt and it looks faded (dont know if this is the right word to describe the condition of my belt) but not cracked.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ IMHO, If you are gonna replace one I would replace them both, its good to keep the on the same schedule.. easier for me...

Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali_G35
hey guys, i have 06 with 30,xxx miles. Do you guys recommend the drive + ac belt changed? Just looked at the belt and it looks faded (dont know if this is the right word to describe the condition of my belt) but not cracked.
If it isn't dry roting (cracking) then don't worry about changing it. You might want to change the belts after about 50,000 miles. Right now it sounds like you are fine though.

-Sean

Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just curious, do we need to disconnect the battery?

This is more of a test post to update the subscription to this thread so i can use it as a reminder.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by FenixL1P
just curious, do we need to disconnect the battery?

This is more of a test post to update the subscription to this thread so i can use it as a reminder.
You don't have to .. but those things never hurt to do

Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Good DIY. Saved a lot of money by doing this at home instead of at the dealer.

I searched for the OEM numbers but couldn't find them posted, so here they are:

Alternator Belt - 11720-4P102
Compressor Belt - 11920-AG900

Old 05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for putting those here. The part numbers are very good to know (saves us all a call to our local Infiniti service centers). I had posted them on this site before but don't recall in which thread on this site I did so. I do see the links to purchase them at the front of the DIY, but in order to "shop around" some might like to know the actual part numbers. Of course, those prices on InfinitiUSA look pretty tough to beat.

I think the part number should be added into the actual DIY itself - maybe near those links - to save other G35ers the effort of trying to find this information. Searching within threads is oftentimes not the easiest way of locating what it is you're looking for...

Any chance of that happening? "Nismo G" or even one of the mods can probably do this.

Last edited by shdowflare; 08-04-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 PM
can someone help me. Can changed the both belts with oem belts. Whenever I first start the car in the morning I get a loud pitch screech that last about thirty sec. then it goes away . I tried to tight the bolts to tighten the belts and it still squeaks. Please help I'm going crazy trying to figured this out. thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
It's Lonely At The Bottom
Originally Posted by avs007
How's this?

I could not use my torque wrench to tighten it 26ft-lbs. on the idler pulley next to the Alternator/PS because it is too big to fit and torque! My torque wrench was able to tighten the A/C belt side because of the room.

How did you guys torque the other side (biggest belt)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Power steering and Alternator/ Air conditioning belt change