Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

RB26 Swap Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Skylines were as well, the quoted HP was due to the old gentleman's agreement between manufacturs to limit hp to ~275, skylines were putting down more than that as well. The reason you don't see import owners really care about drag racing is because they didn't buy their cars to drag race, everyone knows that if thats your goal then you should have just bought a muscle car. Overall performance is usually the reason people buy imports
America doesnt make muscle cars anymore~

I dont see why all import owners have this stigma about american cars being unable to handle. Its like on club rsx, they bash camaros left and right because they 'cant handle', yet in stock form they pull higher g's in the skidpad and are faster through a slalom than a stock rsx-s.

That same arguement can be made for the cobalt ss and srt-4 too.

FYI the C5 vettes pulled higher g's in the skidpad than the mkiv supra did.

People dont buy imports over domestics for overall performance, they buy them for reliability, looks, and the fact that they retain value well. For overall performance you cannot beat a corvette, enough said.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
wow, some people are so biased it amazes me.

The ws6 has the same exact engine as any other transam after 98, only it had an extra gear and a fancy intake. They are barely faster than a regular transam. LS1 engines are in all of them btw.

Who cares how old the vettes suspension is? Its proven to work!

You are probably the type of person who would rather have the new hyped up suspension in a car rather than the older one which outperformed it.

American cars are on the top of the food chain when it comes to Speed per dollar, the japs just make cars that are more reliable, more expensive, and slower.
"American cars are on the top of the food chain when it comes to Speed per dollar" prolly true, but then again look at their products... how else are they going to lure people into buying their cars... im not saying Japanese cars are best, personally im fond of euro cars, but thats another story... and my distaste for american cars is not limited to whats under the hood... almost everything about american cars is antiquated... huge displacements, terribly inefficent, terrible power-weight ratio, terrible transmissions... outdated suspensions, horribly unbalanced... they almost all handle like pigs... and literally all my friends that have owned mustangs have been in accidents because of understeer. Also have ever of u ever driven for a while inside of a Viper... its the most uncomfortable thing ever... i wore shorts which was my first mistake as i burnt the hell out of my leg on the exhaust getting out, and the poor thermal insulation allows u to completely feel the heat of the engine through the engine wall and dash... and the clutch makes it sounds like a Mac truck...

It seems that the American car industry has aimed their sights on people that car about HP and nothing else... look at all their entry sports cars and dont think about the engine inside of it... pretty $hitty huh? (*cough* Neon *cough*) and we should stop comparing the G to the Vette, they are in completely different classes... if u wanna compare something to the G... the new Mustangs, the GTO, cars under 40k... wanna compare something to the Vette, try GTR, new Supra, Lexus IS500F which is suppose to be out sometime soon... i really doubt the GTR is going to be challenged by a Vette on the track with the track times it was putting down at the Nurburing... maybe the Z06...

I understand why people like American cars, and dont get me wrong i love some of them... one of my dream cars is the 69 RS/SS Camaro, or a 67 Fastback... Im not trying to hate on people that like American cars, im just tired of all the V8 muscel guys out there raving about how much horsepower they're putting down on their 6000lb metal brick....

If you want a car simply to race it, then yes get the biggest engine u can find and mod the hell out of it, but very few of us on this board have that possibility.. for me the G allows for the perfect balance or speed, luxury, refinement, handling, and down the road potential... a combination thats pretty hard to find in mid range priced American cars..

Last edited by zeroscythe; 03-02-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Most domestic muscle cars aren't good handlers. The Vette can pull great skidpad numbers because it's still fairly light and has HUGE tires vs what they put on a stock Supra.

I dont see why all import owners have this stigma about american cars being unable to handle. Its like on club rsx, they bash camaros left and right because they 'cant handle', yet in stock form they pull higher g's in the skidpad and are faster through a slalom than a stock rsx-s.

People dont buy imports over domestics for overall performance, they buy them for reliability, looks, and the fact that they retain value well. For overall performance you cannot beat a corvette, enough said.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

cant really compare handling in a FWD car to a RWD... in one the car is pulled through the turn while in the other it is pushed through... one is prone to understeer while the other is prone to oversteer and yes they're right that Camaros cant handle for ****... my brother totalled his on a freeway turnpike... after understeering into the gaurd rail.. later found out that understeering is common for the Camaro and older Mustangs due to terrible weight distribution

Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Most domestic muscle cars aren't good handlers. The Vette can pull great skidpad numbers because it's still fairly light and has HUGE tires vs what they put on a stock Supra.
+1 well put... Vettes are farily light compared to most other Domestics... and have an overall wider wheel base...

Old 03-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
What muscle cars are you referring to? There is no such thing anymore, closest you could possibly argue is the GTO. Im lost.

The vette handles better than a supra, stock for stock, thats all that matters.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Red Card Crew

The vette is probably the only modern muscle car capable of outhandling a Supra. And it probably took a Vette produced much later than 1993 to do it.

Then again, a skidpad rating is quite deceiving.

What muscle cars are you referring to? There is no such thing anymore, closest you could possibly argue is the GTO. Im lost.

Banned

I dont know why u keep bringing up the Supra as if it were the JDM handling god.. the RX-7 Handled much better, and will still outhandle most cars out there and it was from 1993!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You guys can't really compare a G to a Camaro or any other muscle car in that matter. We have to consider that their both built for diffrent use; Camaro is built for drag. G35:Luxury and decent performance. I own a 02 Z28 that has 650whp and its an awesome car in straight line and cornering performance. Don't get me wrong I love the G but the Camaro is a much more fun car to drive even in stock form. Sorry you guys but I love the torque and power of the LS1

Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

wrong wrong and more wrong. For starters the c5 only could pull out .92 G's on the skidpad compared to the supra's .98 G's. Secondly, have you ever driven both the f-body cars and the rsx's? The RSX's are way better in the corners than stupid F body cars. I've had both. Take a look at the Auto-x's. If you compare them with similar mods, the RSX-S pulls out faster times each time. The cobalt is an american peice of doooodooo, and the srt-4 can spank the us much less the stupid cobalt. Second, the SRT-4 to me is still japanese to me since the drivetain is all mitsubishi. People do buy imports over domestics for performance. One used, they are much more reliable and easy to mod. how many american sports cars are made now? 4? maybe the solstice and it's sibling which are in the same price range as us. Once again you american muscle compensating bastages prove how wrong you are.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by zeroscythe
"American cars are on the top of the food chain when it comes to Speed per dollar" prolly true, but then again look at their products... how else are they going to lure people into buying their cars... im not saying Japanese cars are best, personally im fond of euro cars, but thats another story... and my distaste for american cars is not limited to whats under the hood... almost everything about american cars is antiquated... huge displacements, terribly inefficent, terrible power-weight ratio, terrible transmissions... outdated suspensions, horribly unbalanced... they almost all handle like pigs... and literally all my friends that have owned mustangs have been in accidents because of understeer. Also have ever of u ever driven for a while inside of a Viper... its the most uncomfortable thing ever... i wore shorts which was my first mistake as i burnt the hell out of my leg on the exhaust getting out, and the poor thermal insulation allows u to completely feel the heat of the engine through the engine wall and dash... and the clutch makes it sounds like a Mac truck...

It seems that the American car industry has aimed their sights on people that car about HP and nothing else... look at all their entry sports cars and dont think about the engine inside of it... pretty $hitty huh? (*cough* Neon *cough*) and we should stop comparing the G to the Vette, they are in completely different classes... if u wanna compare something to the G... the new Mustangs, the GTO, cars under 40k... wanna compare something to the Vette, try GTR, new Supra, Lexus IS500F which is suppose to be out sometime soon... i really doubt the GTR is going to be challenged by a Vette on the track with the track times it was putting down at the Nurburing... maybe the Z06...

I understand why people like American cars, and dont get me wrong i love some of them... one of my dream cars is the 69 RS/SS Camaro, or a 67 Fastback... Im not trying to hate on people that like American cars, im just tired of all the V8 muscel guys out there raving about how much horsepower they're putting down on their 6000lb metal brick....

If you want a car simply to race it, then yes get the biggest engine u can find and mod the hell out of it, but very few of us on this board have that possibility.. for me the G allows for the perfect balance or speed, luxury, refinement, handling, and down the road potential... a combination thats pretty hard to find in mid range priced American cars..
I agree about euro cars, they are far superior in my opinion.

That being said, there are still a lot of things you are overlooking. The american cars typically do use large displacement engines, but that doesnt make them inefficient. When was the last time you heard of any v8 or v10 engine producing 100hp/liter? Carrera GT is about as close as you can get NA, or ferrari, but realistically there is nothing. New vettes running 6.0 liter engines are getting nearly 30mpg on the highway, is that efficient enough for you? Power to weight ratio is very good in the vette too, and so is the weight distribution.

*BTW I wasnt comparing the vette to the G, just stating that the japanese dont have anything to compare it with. All the cars you listed are not even in production yet, and the lexus IS-F will not even touch it, its more along the lines of the M3.

American cars are improving significantly, its not the same junk they made in the 80s anymore. They are in no way refined, but for the dollar you get a lot of car that is fun to drive, and they have great warrantys now to cover the potential issues. I doubt america will ever touch the japanese in terms of reliability, but no one else probably will either.

New mustang GT's to understeer, but not as badly as you are making it out to be. There is only soo much you can have with a rwd car. The GTO will oversteer more times than not, but they are actually pretty darn nice inside for luxury stuff

Vipers are built for brute speed and force. No one buys them for luxury purposes or functionality. I've ridden in one and they are fun, but I agree that they are just too goofy. Sorry to hear about the casualty w/ your leg.

The G is a great car, why do you think I bought one? They have a good balance of things that are important to me, I prefer a nice smooth car w/good looks over something fast.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned
[QUOTE=b00stedjustin]The cobalt is an american peice of doooodoooQUOTE]

lol couldnt agree more... i think it was a sad attempt at keeping up with dodge and the SRT..

Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Red Card Crew

The Mustang should be a decent handler. It's the Shelby 500 GT or something that's a lead sled. It's near 4,000lbs and they had to use the iron block 5.4 for strength.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned
I agree about euro cars, they are far superior in my opinion.

That being said, there are still a lot of things you are overlooking. The american cars typically do use large displacement engines, but that doesnt make them inefficient. When was the last time you heard of any v8 or v10 engine producing 100hp/liter? Carrera GT is about as close as you can get NA, or ferrari, but realistically there is nothing. New vettes running 6.0 liter engines are getting nearly 30mpg on the highway, is that efficient enough for you? Power to weight ratio is very good in the vette too, and so is the weight distribution.

*BTW I wasnt comparing the vette to the G, just stating that the japanese dont have anything to compare it with. All the cars you listed are not even in production yet, and the lexus IS-F will not even touch it, its more along the lines of the M3.

American cars are improving significantly, its not the same junk they made in the 80s anymore. They are in no way refined, but for the dollar you get a lot of car that is fun to drive, and they have great warrantys now to cover the potential issues. I doubt america will ever touch the japanese in terms of reliability, but no one else probably will either.

New mustang GT's to understeer, but not as badly as you are making it out to be. There is only soo much you can have with a rwd car. The GTO will oversteer more times than not, but they are actually pretty darn nice inside for luxury stuff

Vipers are built for brute speed and force. No one buys them for luxury purposes or functionality. I've ridden in one and they are fun, but I agree that they are just too goofy. Sorry to hear about the casualty w/ your leg.

The G is a great car, why do you think I bought one? They have a good balance of things that are important to me, I prefer a nice smooth car w/good looks over something fast.
i agree with u in that American cars are tons of fun to drive.. the imidiate power u feel with a V8 is very very nice... but as for 100/litre, lets see... the M5, M6, M3, S2000, Civic Si (B16A1)... Mostly euro cars are trying for the 100hp/litre NA but the Japanese are beginning to catch up... the New NSX is rumored to feature 5.0L V10 pushing 500hp NA and the IS500F will feature a 5.0L V8 pushing 400+hp.. not bad for all engine if u ask me

Old 03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
wrong wrong and more wrong. For starters the c5 only could pull out .92 G's on the skidpad compared to the supra's .98 G's. Secondly, have you ever driven both the f-body cars and the rsx's? The RSX's are way better in the corners than stupid F body cars. I've had both. Take a look at the Auto-x's. If you compare them with similar mods, the RSX-S pulls out faster times each time. The cobalt is an american peice of doooodooo, and the srt-4 can spank the us much less the stupid cobalt. Second, the SRT-4 to me is still japanese to me since the drivetain is all mitsubishi. People do buy imports over domestics for performance. One used, they are much more reliable and easy to mod. how many american sports cars are made now? 4? maybe the solstice and it's sibling which are in the same price range as us. Once again you american muscle compensating bastages prove how wrong you are.
I've driven plenty of cars, considering I work for a dealer. "stupid f body" cars WILL pull more lateral G's than an rsx-s. I never said anything about modded, re-read my posts.

Again, I never mentioned the quality of the cobalt, just that it would outhandle an rsx, which is true. lol @ srt-4 being an import. You are the first person i've EVER heard that from. Its american.

True sports cars made in america? Looks like just the corvette to me.

How many are there from japan? Any?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RB26 Swap Project