Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

RB26 Swap Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Read his statement again. Never said na 700hp LS1

I'd have to say from a pure strength standpoint, the RB is superior. The iron blocked I6 is ideal for high boost strength. The reason the RB series was discountinued was it's weight, age and long length. It doesn't does fit into many newer plateforms anymore. Nissan could make the RB pass emissions with modern CAN obd and new ecu.
wrong wrong and more wrong. The RB fits into a ton of new platforms!!!! We can't say which is better for handling boost because frankly we are comparing engines that are set up completely different, and that's why i said a well built v6 (lower compression and all of the other internal engine goodies). Whether or not nissan could make the rb pass emissions is besides the point because they have given up on this powerplant, and emissions is one of the reasons. (it's the main reason why the skyline was never legal to even import in the U.S. - Motorex went bankrupt for fraud telling its customers it passes inspections. Also the RB isn't the "strongest" and neither is the i6 platform, it is just a common platform. The sr20 , which is an I4,holds the world record for most hp with a stock bottom end.

Last edited by b00stedjustin; 02-27-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
What platforms does Nissan/Infiniti currently have that accomodates the heavy/long iron I6 w/o completely destroying the millions of R&D research to achieve a decent front/rear weight bias?

Just because you CAN phyiscally STUFF a RB into a G35, doesn't mean it "fits".

Um... RB = HEAVY arsed I6. VQ or LS = light aluminum and compact V series. Using only common sense would net you the corrent answer.

The main reasons why Japanese makers are hesitant to bring JDM cars over here is the MASSIVE crash requirements required to get a car legal here. Along with making the car LHD vs RHD. And yes emissions.

Nissan could make the RB series pass emissions without too much trouble.

Why are you telling me the RB isn't the strongest?? I never said was. Nor do I particually care. I'm not sure how much power that SR20 made but it would probably have to see in excess of 800-900hp. As stock bottom ended 2JZ engines have made that much on their stock bottom ends.

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
wrong wrong and more wrong. The RB fits into a ton of new platforms!!!! We can't say which is better for handling boost because frankly we are comparing engines that are set up completely different, and that's why i said a well built v6 (lower compression and all of the other internal engine goodies). Whether or not nissan could make the rb pass emissions is besides the point because they have given up on this powerplant, and emissions is one of the reasons. (it's the main reason why the skyline was never legal to even import in the U.S. - Motorex went bankrupt for fraud telling its customers it passes inspections.)

Last edited by Jeff92se; 02-27-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Stock bottom end 2JZ is at 1100hp I believe, so is the motor from the 03-04 cobra mustangs.

...Im not sure about the LS_ engines or RB motors though.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned
What platforms does Nissan/Infiniti currently have that accomodates the heavy/long iron I6 w/o completely destroying the millions of R&D research to achieve a decent front/rear weight bias?

Just because you CAN phyiscally STUFF a RB into a G35, doesn't mean it "fits".

Um... RB = HEAVY arsed I6. VQ or LS = light aluminum and compact V series. Using only common sense would net you the corrent answer.

The main reasons why Japanese makers are hesitant to bring JDM cars over here is the MASSIVE crash requirements required to get a car legal here. Along with making the car LHD vs RHD. And yes emissions.

Nissan could make the RB series pass emissions without too much trouble.

Why are you telling me the RB isn't the strongest?? I never said was. Nor do I particually care. I'm not sure how much power that SR20 made but it would probably have to see in excess of 800-900hp. As stock bottom ended 2JZ engines have made that much on their stock bottom ends.
I never said anything about the weight so I really have no clue what you're talking about here. The RB is not THAT heavy that the weight bias that you claim can't be adjusted. This would probably be easier than making the RB pass emissions. Probably the most significant reason why we haven't in the past recieved JDM cars here is that our markets are completely different, meaning that buyers have different interrests, and different price ranges for what they look for. This is probably the main reason why there IS a difference between japanese cars that JDM and USDM. The 2JZ won second place in the stock bottom end contest, and the SR20 made well over 1000 hp to take the win (this test was done 5 or so years ago, it's definitely old news). You definitely did say that the I6 is the "ideal" for handling boost, and if you have read this answer you will have realized that this is not neccessarily true. I'm not bashing th RB, I've always love the RB and have been a long time fan of the skylines.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Red Card Crew

Okay how about answering the question? What Nissan/Infiniti is set up to accomodate this heavy arsed engine? How much do they weigh? Since you know right? You don't.

So exactly what is "ideal"? I'd like to hear it.

How long is that SR going to last boosting to 1,000hp? How much turbo lag does it have to run in order to get 1,000hp? Can you even think about using a peaking motor like that? Show me the link

I don't know the details of this "test" but there are guys doing 800-900hp on their Supra engines on their own. And driving them daily. Not just some shop queen done with unlimited funds. Real hp on real cars.

I never said anything about the weight so I really have no clue what you're talking about here. The RB is not THAT heavy that the weight bias that you claim can't be adjusted. This would probably be easier than making the RB pass emissions. Probably the most significant reason why we haven't in the past recieved JDM cars here is that our markets are completely different, meaning that buyers have different interrests, and different price ranges for what they look for. This is probably the main reason why there IS a difference between japanese cars that JDM and USDM. The 2JZ won second place in the stock bottom end contest, and the SR20 made well over 1000 hp to take the win (this test was done 5 or so years ago, it's definitely old news). You definitely did say that the I6 is the "ideal" for handling boost, and if you have read this answer you will have realized that this is not neccessarily true. I'm not bashing th RB, I've always love the RB and have been a long time fan of the skylines.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
THE BATMOBILE
do it to it...........what is the name of your shop?>?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Can I simply get this question replied to vs the babble? Thanks

The RB fits into a ton of new platforms!!!! .

Old 02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Okay how about answering the question? What Nissan/Infiniti is set up to accomodate this heavy arsed engine? How much do they weigh? Since you know right? You don't.

How long is that SR going to last boosting to 1,000hp? How much turbo lag does it have to run in order to get 1,000hp? Can you even think about using a peaking motor like that? Show me the link

I don't know the details of this "test" but there are guys doing 800-900hp on their Supra engines on their own. And driving them daily. Not just some shop queen done with unlimited funds. Real hp on real cars.
I disagree on this. 9/10 supras putting down big hp are horrible at the track. Very rarely is the power they make usable around the streets, hence why they are so eager to race on the highway.

There are 20 LS powered cars running 8 and 9 second passes for every supra. Dont get me wrong, the supra was an amazing car that can run big power reliably, but they wont stand up to the competition especially when its high displacement american power.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
I disagree on this. 9/10 supras putting down big hp are horrible at the track. Very rarely is the power they make usable around the streets, hence why they are so eager to race on the highway.
IRS and manual trannies... Supras aren't technically strip queens.

There are 20 LS powered cars running 8 and 9 second passes for every supra. Dont get me wrong, the supra was an amazing car that can run big power reliably, but they wont stand up to the competition especially when its high displacement american power.
Sure, put that engine in a car weighing as much as a supra and see what happens

IMHO, give that high hp supra a solid rear end and an auto tranny, and I'll show you a Supra that will brake boost and shot out of the hole pretty well.

Problem is, most supra guys are manual drivers and most don't want to go backwards in tech to go drag racing.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned
Can I simply get this question replied to vs the babble? Thanks
well it obviously fits into the G and Z. I'm sure it would fit into the M series, and even into the newer altimas (don't they share the vq as well?). Just those is enough I would say justify "many".

Old 02-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned
IRS and manual trannies... Supras aren't technically strip queens.

Sure, put that engine in a car weighing as much as a supra and see what happens

IMHO, give that high hp supra a solid rear end and an auto tranny, and I'll show you a Supra that will brake boost and shot out of the hole pretty well.

Problem is, most supra guys are manual drivers and most don't want to go backwards in tech to go drag racing.
+1. Supra's almost pull out a 1g in the skid pad. They are definitely not bad handlers even though they are pretty heavy, and they do tend to be solely used as 1/4 queens to probably most of our disapointment.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Red Card Crew

How can "fits" even be remotely considered as designed correctly???? I can probably jam an iron block crate 572 into a G and it would "fit" right? Wrong

Exactly how is a long arsed I6 going to fit into a transverse FWD V6 engine bay???? You do realize that the I6 is TWICE as long as the V6 right???

well it obviously fits into the G and Z. I'm sure it would fit into the M series, and even into the newer altimas (don't they share the vq as well?). Just those is enough I would say justify "many".

Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the name of your shop man, im down in miami and id love to jus swing by one day and see the monster ur building. i know someone with a 350z who has an rb26det in it, hes also in miami.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

I don't exactly know what is "ideal" for turbo applications, maybe no one knows. I'm going to say a 3.7 liter v6 is just because I can't wait for the new gt-r lol.

How long is a supra going to last boosting 800-900 hp with a stock bottom end? Longevity is not the point of the test because none of the engines can boost THAT much power with a stock bottom end for any decently long period of time. You have to ask yourself that if an engine can maintain 1000 hp on a stock bottom end, what are they capable of with a fully built engine? And logically, an engine that can handle more with a stock bottom end with be stronger than all others if all engines were fully built. No, i don't care to have this answered, just food for thought, and probably the real reason why the test was done.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Red Card Crew

I don't exactly know what is "ideal" for turbo applications, maybe no one knows. I'm going to say a 3.7 liter v6 is just because I can't wait for the new gt-r lol.
Well this topic is done then

How long is a supra going to last boosting 800-900 hp with a stock bottom end? Longevity is not the point of the test because none of the engines can boost THAT much power with a stock bottom end for any decently long period of time.
You sure about that? There are more than a few daily driven supras that can boost to those hp levels. I'm not seeing too many sr20 powered dailies even 3/4 of that. I'm not sure what the point of "claiming" the highest stock bottom end hp test is when it's only expected to live for the duration of that test.

You have to ask yourself that if an engine can maintain 1000 hp on a stock bottom end, what are they capable of with a fully built engine? And logically, an engine that can handle more with a stock bottom end with be stronger than all others if all engines were fully built. No, i don't care to have this answered, just food for thought, and probably the real reason why the test was done.
Um ANY engine given to the capable hands of a well funded builder could make that engine make almost any hp required. I'm not sure why you are even mentioning this. What the engine does stock (for however many min) doesn't equate directly to what it will handle when built. There are about, let's say, a 1,000 varibles here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RB26 Swap Project