Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

How to reach this goal? 340RWHP and >310LB-FT TQ .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's still reasonably within the budget to pick up a vortech supercharger. thanks for the advice everyone. I'm keeping an eye out for a vortech used setup and will update the thread as progress happens.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to recommend a different car on a G35 site but here is a thought...

If you are on a budget and just want to have a fast N/A car, get a Vette that is 8 or 10 years old and do some bolt on mods. Much easier to get big HP because you have more displacement not to mention a very strong engine to start with. Getting 340Whp out of the VQ motor might end up costing you big $$$. You will also kill any gas milage you might retain with F/I. Building the VQ for that kind of HP will involve high compression, lots of head and intake work, high octane etc. Big $$$.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/

Phone: 805-581-0333

This is your best bet for a trouble free, 350 whp turbo system and a company that takes care of thier customers.

One more thing. If you don't want to spend the money because you don't think the car has enough value, don't build anything. I don't care what kind of car you are building, if you are going spend money on performance you are not ever going to get it back. Do it because you simply want to. I will never get the nearly $9k that I have put into my car this year back, but I sure am having a damn good time driving it and that is all I wanted. This is an expensive hobby for sure. Sometimes I think I should have invested the money and played more Xbox ...Not really but you see my point.

Just my opinion. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Last edited by nuclearcarnie; 07-26-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sorry, did you just say that turbonetics is a trouble free system?

EDIT: My .02c would be a stillen supercharger if you're just driving it around on the street. I've always liked those dyno sheets- but I'm definitely after a big number. If you can honestly stick with that (if not there's always n2o) then I'd bolt on a stillen! Looks like it would be fun to drive around as a DD

Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
I'm sorry, did you just say that turbonetics is a trouble free system?

EDIT: My .02c would be a stillen supercharger if you're just driving it around on the street. I've always liked those dyno sheets- but I'm definitely after a big number. If you can honestly stick with that (if not there's always n2o) then I'd bolt on a stillen! Looks like it would be fun to drive around as a DD
I have put about 400 - 500 miles/week on my car (Tubonetics system) and have not had a single problem. It starts every day and never fails to make me smile. This has been my experience.

A few weeks ago my turbo ate a rubber gromet (my fault) and Turbonetics took care of me big time. I can't say enough about the customer service I experienced.

And for a daily driver, I wanted the single turbo. Just less parts to worry about. I can get to most everything without dropping the motor and it has plenty of power potential. I have no regrets for choosing this system. I am sure there is someone out there that has a different opinion or had a different experience...that is normal for almost anything from toasters to cars.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nuclearcarnie
One more thing. If you don't want to spend the money because you don't think the car has enough value, don't build anything. I don't care what kind of car you are building, if you are going spend money on performance you are not ever going to get it back. Do it because you simply want to. I will never get the nearly $9k that I have put into my car this year back, but I sure am having a damn good time driving it and that is all I wanted. This is an expensive hobby for sure. Sometimes I think I should have invested the money and played more Xbox ...Not really but you see my point.

Just my opinion. Good luck on what ever you decide.
Sorry I'm not willing to **** away $9K but rather only **** away around half of that. If that's a problem for you feel free to not read or post on this thread.

I'm convinced that with the right product I'll be able to achieve this goal in the budget allotted.

I forget who said this but it stuck. You can choose 2 of these 3 things at any one time, especially when it comes to modifying cars:

1) Low cost
2) Done fast
3) Top Quality

I'm willing to sacrifice the second one and piece this together as the right parts fall into the marketplace.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by civic4982
Sorry I'm not willing to **** away $9K but rather only **** away around half of that. If that's a problem for you feel free to not read or post on this thread.

I'm convinced that with the right product I'll be able to achieve this goal in the budget allotted.

I forget who said this but it stuck. You can choose 2 of these 3 things at any one time, especially when it comes to modifying cars:

1) Low cost
2) Done fast
3) Top Quality

I'm willing to sacrifice the second one and piece this together as the right parts fall into the marketplace.
I think you may have taken that the wrong way. I was just making the point that it is expensive to have a hobby like this. I don't have a problem with anything that someone else wants to do with thier car and money, it is all a very personal choice. I was merely making the point that YOU have to decide if the results are worth the expense and typically you will never see the money spent equally increase the value of the car. If you spend within' your budget and like the results then it was worth doing. Thats not money pissed away.

Sorry if my point was missed.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Modifying a G is expensive... and I don’t think I've ever seen anyone set a budget and never go over it during their ownership...

Not to discourage anyone, but its doubtful that mod expense will end at 4-5K. Once you start you will want to add other... it's rare that someone will stop at motor... next will be suspension, wheels & tires, aesthetics (sometimes), tweaks to motor, etc, etc (not to mention the temptation to start on interior at some point)... it gets pricey - but it's a fun hobby.