FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: GroundingGear™

Has anyone tried using 0 guage wire?
Will it hust if i use 0 guage?

Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: GroundingGear™

I heard of one other person that used 0 gauge. Not sure if it would do much more than 4 ga. From the information that I got, there might theoretically be a difference even with the 4 ga wires depending on whether the strands are braided, the configuration of the braid, etc. Apparently, braided strands are supposed to be a little better than strands that are twisted into small bundles and the bundles are twisted together to form the total 'rope-style'. Sorry, there is a name for this type of construction, but I can't remember it.

Anyway, the only way to tell whether 0 ga would be better than 4 ga would be to do dyno testing under very controlled conditions. Similar I suspect to the different wire construction methods.

<font color=green>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=green>

Old 02-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

I installed gordgee's GrondingGear five wire system on my 5AT Sedan today. Install was easy, instructions were straight forward, it took me about 45 minutes to complete. Each wire was the perfect length which made for a really nice looking install. I did the ECU reset immediately after. Biggest thing that I noticed was the difference in the idle. It is now much smoother. I used to get an idle "hiccup" every now and then but that is gone now. I didn't notice any HP gain, but I have never dyno'ed my car before. All in all I am very happy with gordgee's product and I highly recommend it. I have some pics but no way to host them, if you want to see them just email me. skeletoncru@sbcglobal.net.

...Skeleton Cru

184661-signature2.jpg

Old 02-10-2004, 11:17 AM

I agree...gordgee's kit is great. I installed mine two weeks ago and was extremely pleased with the quality and results.

I do have one comment, though. I didn't initially install cable five because I don't have a torque wrench (I purchased a seven wire kit). The car was silky smooth, as most on the forum have noted. Once I did install the fifth cable (from the front of the engine back to the rear of the intake plenum) the car lost a lot of smoothness but went like a bat out of "you-know-what"! I like the smoothness in the car so I took the fifth cable back off.

Has anyone else seen this with the cable that connects to the rear of the intake plenum?

Old 02-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Administrator

That's quite interesting. May be worth playing around with! Not sure why it would lose smoothness though. So, when you took the 5th wire off, the smoothness returned?

BTW, my consultants and I looked at some of the other ground points others are using for adding extra wires, like the ground under the coolant reservoir. We don't think it should do anything. It seems to be just a heavy ground wire that goes to the engine from the chassis and shouldn't significantly affect signal transfer (as per theory). So the existing 7 or 8 wires should be optimal at this time with little benefit from adding others, except of course the ECU wire still in R&D stage. We'll see if we get any other feed back form ppl that have tried #s 9-12.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gord,

I have that giant factory ground in my 12 wire loop. It looks to me like
it is coming from a thick wire harness. Why do you say it should make
no difference?

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled aluminum pedals

Old 02-10-2004, 04:45 PM

Yep, when I took the 5th wire back off the smoothness returned. I did it just this morning, and had a wonderful ride into work. I'm not sure why but the difference is definitely noticeable. Like I said in my previous post, it seemed (subjectively) like I had more HP with the 5th on, but the engine lacked the smoothness I'd gained from the other six wires. It seemed odd to me, too.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Cato:

Yes, it's a large gauge wire, but it only connects to the cam cover (just above the pulley of the power steering pump), so it looks like it just adds an additional ground from engine to chassis. No active electrical signal route there. No better signal to the ECU nor the injectors. We could be wrong as there is no explaining some other effects like brighter lights, etc. either. At this time, there just isn't enough empirical data to support Hyper-Grounding that point. Again, just trying to keep it scientific, but I'm always open to possibilities.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I know that many locals with generic universal kits attach wires all over the place. Some even to points that don't display ground continuity! So if you do enough points, you're bound to include all the points that are important, but some wires may not actually be adding to the H-G system, nor may they even be active at all! Again, there is the law of diminishing returns. After a certain point, there is less and less benefit or none at all. I've heard that if you ground your radiator into the system, it can even do more harm than good. All interesting stuff, as Mkevin's finding demonstrates!

Old 02-11-2004, 02:39 AM

hey guys, I'm new on here, and I was searching around the internet on what people thought of this so called "ground kit". This is the most extensive thread I've found on this. Seems like you guys are really happy with the outcome of this little mod. I am currently finishing my custom kit. I am using Monster Cable brand 4 gauge power wire, and also changing my battery terminals. I will have this done tomorow, and will update to show my custom setup. I'm glad I found this thread, it's helped me figure out my own grounding points.

I'm also a big fan of the G35 (sexiest car next to my 240sx) hehehe. J/K. I'll post a pic tomorow.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:18 AM

Nice. Eager to see what you have done.

Does anyone know if a HGK will help the Acura TL? After installing the HGK in my G, I'm trying to convince my brother to install on in his TLS, but on acura-tl.com, it appears that it is not a popular mod. Does anyone know if this mod affects the TLS in the same manner as it does for the G. Sorry for the post here, but signing up for the TL forum just to find this out is a big pain in da ****.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

I installed Gord's kit. Looks great, very easy to install with the detailed instructions provided. My main reason for installing the kit was to improve gas mileage like others have done. I can't figure out why but I'm getting about 25 miles less per tank. This is after 2 fill-ups. Can anyone offer some advice?

Old 02-11-2004, 02:44 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stop driving with a lead foot checking out what the wires have done
for your ride!

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled aluminum pedals

Old 02-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Hmmmm. That's the first I've heard about a mileage decrease! It's possible that you're driving more aggressively as cato says since it's running smoother and you're unconsciously stepping on it a bit more. Also possible that the weather has changed, or the gas formulation has changed a bit. In Canada, they reformulate the gas when the weather gets cold. The only way to tell how much your gas mileage is affected is to see you averages after some steady-state highway driving.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 AM

About 80% of my driving is highway. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if anything changes.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:02 AM

Cato:
I wish that was the case. I haven't been getting on it. I'm trying to keep my driving patterns the same to get a more accurate idea for mileage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread