Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Driving Stillen VS Vortech?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Stillen VS Vortech?

Ok, Since there is no one here in my area that have both I need your input. Since Vortech doesn't hit full boost until close to redline will Vortech feel like stock under 4K RPM? Now since Stillen's power is on the low to Mid-range, will this give you that Turbo feel? I mean will Stillen really slam you on your seat when punched under 4K RPM? I've heard that Vortech feel like stock below 4K RPM and gradually get stronger just like driving a V8 all the way to redline. Is it safe to say that Stillen will give you that rush more than Vortech on the Street. I don't really track and I'm not really a Dyno Queen, I rather feel the rush and enjoy driving my car on the street than be able to brag about my Peak HP. Let's try to make it fair, let's compare Stage 2 Stillen and Stock Vortech Kit with no upgraded Pulley.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
the stillen makes all its power down in the low-upper mid range.so it will throw you back in the seat pretty good.the vortech will have a strong upper rpm rush but will feel totally stock at low to upper mid range.i have raced a vortech on the track twice (same car) he beat me by a fender the first time and i beat him about the same the second time.but in both races at the 1/8th mile i had him pretty good he said,but he would always catch up at the end of the 1/4.
typical street racing from a stop like where you dont have a lot of space,the stillen will take the vortech everytime.but if your going from a roll and it,s in the vortechs power band the vortech will always pull away.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
I've driven both and the Vortech definitely feels more powerful all the way through...that's why i went with it when I had my G.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I really need to find someone with a Vortech to see how bad is it under 4K RPM.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:39 PM
i have driven an ati procharged g and it did pull real hard esp in the upper rpm band,s and at below 4000 rpm,s it felt stock.if i could do it all over again it would be the jwt twins hands down.
back when i did mine in august 2003 there was nothing out for a g auto except the stillen.but i will say it has been dead reliable for the 26000 miles ive had it on (with the exception of noisey belts once in a while) and the belt noise is a piece of cake to fix.
you have to make up your mind about what you want out of the kit.stillen with a factory airbox is pretty quiet until you really get on it and no noise at idle or just cruising.if you put a open element air filter on it,it is loud and if you put a long tube cai on it,it,s really obnoxius.but still quiet at idle.
vortech has that horrible clackity noise at idle (you will wonder why people look at you when you are stopped thinking whats wrong with this car) but it can make a whole lot more hp and a little more torque then the stillen.
also you wanted to compare the 2 to a turbo,well the vortech will def feel more like a turbo cause it just continue,s to pull hard on top.the stillen on the other hand gives you a ton of torque down low and immediately.but it dies off pretty fast above about 5600 rpm,s.hope this helps.

Last edited by superchargedg; 10-17-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
PM Sent

Old 10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I rarely go over 110MPH on the street, I'm more of a light to light kinda guy so just looking at both Kit I think Stillen will be much more fit on my driving style. I really like the JWT and I'm close enough to PM so access to JWT will be easy. If I'm going with a Turbo a built engine is a must on my plan but if you had to do it over again which one between Vortech and Stillen will you pick if your goal is under 390WHP.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by AthenG
I rarely go over 110MPH on the street, I'm more of a light to light kinda guy so just looking at both Kit I think Stillen will be much more fit on my driving style. I really like the JWT and I'm close enough to PM so access to JWT will be easy. If I'm going with a Turbo a built engine is a must on my plan but if you had to do it over again which one between Vortech and Stillen will you pick if your goal is under 390WHP.
it sounds like me and you drive alike,that said stillen all the way.but do not at any cost go with stage 3 go straight from stage 2 to stage 4 you will def feel a big difference between the 2.at least i can show you what the hood looks like.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 PM
not feeling the hood

Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 PM
I know. That hideous hood is the main reason I have not gone with the Stillen. If only they would have just gone with a single raised profile instead of that "double-bubble" stupidity.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I definetly gained some low end power with the vortech

here's the amount of torque I gained by taking my NA Z with all major bolt ons and simply adding a vortech with 2.87 pulley:

40 tq at 2000 rpms
40 tq at 2500 rpms
38 tq at 3000 rpms
57 tq at 3500 rpms
78 tq at 4000 rpms
102 tq at 4500 rpms
105 tq at 5000 rpms
103 tq at 5500 rpms
118 tq at 6000 rpms
115 tq at 6500 rpms
95 tq at 6800 rpms

I can also confirm this by driving in 6th gear on the highway - the car accellerates noticably harder just cruising in 6th gear at 80mph or less when my rpms are always below 3500 rpms

Last edited by sentry65; 10-17-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I've seen the hood in person and it look a lot better in person. The G Hood is much better than the Z Hood IMO.

Sentry65,
I know you're not even close to stock but I would like to make my decision on pretty much stock unit and under 390whp range. If I had to go upgrade and go past 400+ I'll most likely just go JWT and build my engine. I wish you're close enough in NY that I can test drive your car to see how a Vortech 430whp/365tq feel like. Maybe that will change my mind and go with Vortech all the way

Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 AM
If you have a 6mt and like to rev, then the Vortech is for you. I take my car up to at least 6k daily, so the lack of power before 4k doesn't matter. Also, revs come up so fast in the Vortech that you barely have time to shift let alone notice the power before 4k.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by AthenG

Go to PM and talk to them about the JWT...If your goal is under 390WHP then its my understanding that you would have NO reason to build the engine...Contact them, you wont regret it...

Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Go to PM and talk to them about the JWT...If your goal is under 390WHP then its my understanding that you would have NO reason to build the engine...Contact them, you wont regret it...
True, but if I'm going to spend 10K on a TT kit, I might as well go all out and build the engine. Plus JWT is pretty new that we are not sure how reliable it can be. I really intended to go the JWT path but my wife wanted to have a baby maybe a year from now, so going with just a SC will save me around 3-4K on install/kit especially if I'm not building my motor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving Stillen VS Vortech?