Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Stock motor with forced induction . . . how badly did you push it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, thought I'd crossover and check out whats up on the G side. Saw this thought I'd chime in.

2003 350Z Boosted Performance 6262
456whp 416rwtq @9psi
Boosted @ 49,600 miles
Currently 65243 miles
Stock block and driven hard

Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
645 whp on 15 psi. Got like 5 passes down the strip

Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
3 years and 25k mi later still holding up. 50+ quarter mile passes. 420whp @8psi. I push it to 10psi from time to time.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
impressed... the motor lasted almost 4,000 miles with a cylinder going down. But I think she finally said "f*ck you" this morning.

Just cruising to work, noticed the power all of the sudden went completely away. Car almost wouldn't accelerate in 6th gear. That's when I knew it was time. I just pulled in the right lane and made it the final 2 miles to my exit going 70. Got off the interstate, smelled oil, smoke drifting through the vents as oil was being forced out the breather tubes, car died, wouldn't idle. Started back up but really struggled and will run if you keep it over 2k rpm. Going to try to limp it home tonight. We'll see if it makes it, or if it grenades completely.

Oh well, she put up a good fight for being boosted from 108k-113k miles. just over 400whp. Did ZDayZ, several long road trips, 50ish pulls on the dyno, and ran the dragon and cherohala skyway like a boss. Took down a modded 335i, C5 vette, held it's own against two slightly modded mid 12 second 2012 GT's and embarrassed a few other lesser cars that thought "stance is slow." Of course... all of that was at the track cause we don't race on interstates on Gdriver. O_o

Spare VQ35DE sitting in the corner on an engine stand. Looks like I have my fall project.

The following users liked this post:
vegaszx10 (11-24-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ How much did you get the spare motor? I plan to build a motor if one swings my way at the right time.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ultrabootz
^ How much did you get the spare motor? I plan to build a motor if one swings my way at the right time.
I snagged it for a really good price from a friend of a friend. Dude bought a motor and trans to do a swap into a 70's 240Z he picked up, but the more he tore the Z down the more rust and cancer it had, so he got rid of the shell and just ditched the swap off to me for some quick cash so he could finish up a 240SX drift car he was building (with a QX45 V8 swap in it)

Pulled the plugs and all looked good. I'll be running a leakdown test this weekend to make sure that everything is kosher with that. If I had a spare starter I'd put my stock flywheel on it and do a compression test. ha

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Sucks to hear your motor onlyl lasted that few miles on boost.I have been real lucky and have over 70,000 miles with boost one way or another.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
I snagged it for a really good price from a friend of a friend. Dude bought a motor and trans to do a swap into a 70's 240Z he picked up, but the more he tore the Z down the more rust and cancer it had, so he got rid of the shell and just ditched the swap off to me for some quick cash so he could finish up a 240SX drift car he was building (with a QX45 V8 swap in it)

Pulled the plugs and all looked good. I'll be running a leakdown test this weekend to make sure that everything is kosher with that. If I had a spare starter I'd put my stock flywheel on it and do a compression test. ha

Sooo lucky. I'd love a 370z motor as well. Those things can hold up with boost with no issues.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Sucks to hear your motor onlyl lasted that few miles on boost.I have been real lucky and have over 70,000 miles with boost one way or another.
It was one of those freak things that happened wrong place wrong time back in May. The motor itself was already starting to use oil, so I knew it had minor issues. That's why I put the blower on, then bought a spare motor. lol Kept it to 400whp, then coming over the Cherohala Skyway at Deals Gap it blew the o2 sensor out at full boost and took a massive chunk of the test pipe with it. Evidently ran lean and cracked something. I welded the test pipe back up and it had the slightest difference in idle, and I knew something was wrong. Compression test showed 120 on cyl #3, when the rest showed 160-170. I ran it for about 4000 miles like that, and I think that "something" finally gave out.

So I have her parked.

Although, I'll still do a full boost leak test, compression test, and leakdown test this weekend and we'll make sure that it's not something simple like a cracked kinetix plenum and I just have a massive vacuum leak. Lord knows THOSE things never crack.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Hey guys so I have a question for you all. I am in the process of building up my '03 G35x. I was told by a friend that getting a SC is absolutely the way to go and to save my money. Since I've been on here I noticed that the higher mileaged cars tend to have problems when their FI 'd. This is my daily driver I don't want to fork over the money for an engine rebuild after forking over 5,000 for a super charger. I have 130,000 miles on my G and its been very well maintained. What should I do? Are super chargers easier on your car then turbos? He also has a laptop program for his car which is SC'd as well he said he can tune from scratch, is this any good? Truthfully I want between 360-400 whp but my ol' lady will kill me if a blow my daily driver after putting a lot of $$$ in it and I already have another garage project.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by JFletch
Hey guys so I have a question for you all. I am in the process of building up my '03 G35x. I was told by a friend that getting a SC is absolutely the way to go and to save my money.
Bullsh1t. A true friend would have told you to walk away from this idea and save your money.

But if he has a program on his laptop that will allow him to tune your car from scratch he MUST be trustworthy! What's the worst that can happen? A blown motor and no girlfriend.

Meh- let it ride.

As for the question about Turbos / SC- I don't believe that subject has ever been approached in here but yes popular opinion elesewhere on the interwebs is that SCs are easier on the stock blocks / trans.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The torque curve is what makes a basic SC setup safer on an engine then turbos. Kit wise, SC is the cheapest and its one of those things most can install themselves. Do a compression test and go from there. High mileage doesn't necessarily mean its bad as long as the motor was taken care of.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by JFletch
Hey guys so I have a question for you all. I am in the process of building up my '03 G35x. I was told by a friend that getting a SC is absolutely the way to go and to save my money. Since I've been on here I noticed that the higher mileaged cars tend to have problems when their FI 'd. This is my daily driver I don't want to fork over the money for an engine rebuild after forking over 5,000 for a super charger. I have 130,000 miles on my G and its been very well maintained. What should I do? Are super chargers easier on your car then turbos? He also has a laptop program for his car which is SC'd as well he said he can tune from scratch, is this any good? Truthfully I want between 360-400 whp but my ol' lady will kill me if a blow my daily driver after putting a lot of $$$ in it and I already have another garage project.
Do not boost an '03 with 130,000 miles if it's your DD and you "cannot, under any circumstances" afford to deal with the fallout, cost, or downtime from blowing your motor up.

Blower, turbo, squeeze. Something outside of your control can go wrong.

Just don't do it. Dump that bitch to the floor, and do the whole "form > function" thingy that these kids are like "oh that's dope" about. Wheel bearings and rolled fenders are way cheaper than cracked ring landings or bent rods.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM
So aside compression tests what should I "expect" or "replace" if I do the super charger? I would rather save and buy everything to have done at once. Or maybe I will stick to the usual N/A thing with electronics and new manifold, injectors, and a street tune ect. I have z-tube, stillen intake, pop charger, 5/16 plenum spacer and was just told the exhaust was stock. Not sure what rout is the better way to go at this point I just know I cought the bug.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Dude this isn't the thread for that. There are about a million threads on it. Go do your homework.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock motor with forced induction . . . how badly did you push it?